Doctor Who in the US?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by ManOfSteele, May 27, 2005.

1. ManOfSteele

ManOfSteele Member

Jul 23, 2003
    San Jose, CA

Advertisements

Does anyone know when the new Doctor Who series currently playing in the UK (and Canada) will come to the US?

2. 7thton

7thton No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place

Mar 3, 2005
    I'm wondering the same thing.......

3. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    I checked the BBC America website last week and it was not listed there at all. I'm hoping we will get it fairly soon. A friend sent me a DVD of the first episode and I enjoyed it.

4. DianaMo

DianaMo Cubs fan

Oct 22, 2003
    I'd like to see the new Doctor Who too.

You're welcome to visit this page and scroll down a bit to view some of pics from a St. Louis Doctor Who convention.

You might also enjoy this discussion thread .

5. edc

edc Active Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Houston

Advertisements

I'm not a Torrent guy, so I'm glad the BBC is releasing the series WHILE it airs. Got the first three eps, and the next three will be coming in a few weeks. Gotta love multiple-region PAL/NTSC DVD players!

6. ManOfSteele

ManOfSteele Member

Jul 23, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I take it the BBC has the episodes available somewhere? That'll do for now, although I'd prefer not having to go through this route to watch the show.

I stopped using bittorrent when it got too much press time...

7. hckylvr

hckylvr Mike

May 26, 2005
    Atlanta
    A friend of mine is a big Dr. Who fan and he indicated that there are no plans to release the new Dr. Who in the states. That could change, but last he heard this was the case.

8. ManOfSteele

ManOfSteele Member

Jul 23, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    That's interesting. This site though indicates that there might be a feature film, based on how the new series does in the US. I think they need to communicate better!

9. Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004
    No, but bittorrent, IRC, Newsgroups, may be of some help to you. Nine episodes of Dr. Who have aired so far and the series pretty gosh darn good. I've enjoyed every episode.

I watched the early episodes on a local PBS tv station back in the 80's and have been a fan since.

10. DianaMo

DianaMo Cubs fan

Oct 22, 2003
    What I've heard is that BBC America is one of the Discovery Channel networks that just happens to air primarily British shows.

I'd like to see superstation WGN carry the show. We'll see what happens.

11. Bill Reeves

Bill Reeves Lurker

Jul 17, 2002
    San Carlos, CA
    There's a Yahoo Group called "thisweekindoctorwho" where the guy sends out weekly updates on where the new series has been picked up. He also sends out email alerts when a new country picks it up.

The current list of countries where someone has bought the rights to show it (regardless of whether they have started showing it or not):

UK (obviously)
    Canada
    Australia
    New Zealand
    Netherlands
    Italy
    Finland
    South Korea

and some UK-based airline called Thomsonfly Airlines is showing the first episode on their in-flight entertainment this month.

No word on the US purchase. I thought I read some time back that both Sci-Fi and BBC America were interested. PBS may be interested but it would be on a station-by-station basis, and based on the economics of my local PBS station (KTEH-54 in San Jose, which used to have a fantastic Sunday night scifi lineup, but I was there for a pledge drive last year and they had a skeleton staff and were cutting back on essentials like cleaning) I can't imagine they will pick it up, so I'm hoping for one of the national cable networks.

12. FatherTed

FatherTed Not Registered

Sep 13, 2003
    I accidentally stumbled on the first episode on Canadian TV a few days ago. It's running on CBC there. I came in about half way through the episode. If someone has seen the first episode I'd like to be clued in on what exactly was with the disappearing and reappearing yellow car driving around the block.

13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Apparently, nobody who's interested can afford what the BBC is asking, and nobody who can afford it is interested.

14. edc

edc Active Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Houston
    The PAL discs can be ordered from amazon.co.uk. The first disc (with the first three episodes) is out now, the second disc will be out mid-June. No announcement of the remainder of the discs.

A box set with all the episodes and extras is due out in November.

15. FatherTed

FatherTed Not Registered

Sep 13, 2003
    Huh. Interesting. I just looked at the trailer and that would definitely be it. The Doctor didn't seem to have much to do with Rose in the last half of that episode. I assumed they didn't know each other.

16. orome

orome Tribal Style

Dec 29, 2004
    Caversham...
    Spoiler for the recent two parter:
    I want my mummy. Are you my mummy?
    :eek:

17. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    This Doctor is quite different than the others. He's extremely cynical and doesn't really trust anyone, not even Rose. (Tho that is changing)

The Doctor seems to be feeling VERY guilty about being the last Timelord, as we've watched him deal with his grief all season, knowing that he has the ability to change what happens, but is bound by the laws of time travel not to. I think that was actually one of the primary reasons they did a story like Father's Day.

It was announced last week that Rose will be leaving the show durring the second series to pursue other acting oppurtunities (something that worked out well for David Caruso :eek: )

18. FatherTed

FatherTed Not Registered

Sep 13, 2003
    Why is he the

last Time Lord? I see IMDB shows the 2006 one.

Can you tell I haven't kept up on Dr Who in 20 years?

19. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It was also strongly implied that the actress (actually a singer, but she's quite good in the role) hadn't realized what she was getting herself into, and wasn't up to the grind of a weekly show...

20. HTH

HTH No Avatar Selected

Aug 28, 2000
    Lincoln, NE
    It's unlikely it will make an appearance on Nebraska Educational TeleVision. They've taken it as their mandate to educate, not entertain, and they feel that no sci-fi qualifies.

And I so want to see Queen Labiblia and her computer IZ2Z again.