Doctor Who "DAY OF THE MOON" (pt 2/2)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DianaMo, Apr 30, 2011.

1. DianaMo

DianaMo Cubs fan

Oct 22, 2003
    Doctor Who "DAY OF THE MOON" (pt 2/2)
    Initial airdate: April 30, 2011

BBC America page for this episode.
    http://doctorwho.bbcamerica.com/seasons/6/episodes/2

Reminders/ Spoilers here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Moon

The first episode of this 2 part story is titled The Impossible Astronaut.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Impossible_Astronaut

The Impossible Astronaut (1) Trivia and Quotes
    http://www.tv.com/doctor-who/the-impossible-astronaut-1/episode/1361489/trivia.html

The next week's episode is titled: "The Curse of the Black Spot"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Curse_of_the_Black_Spot

Doctor Who Confidentials (I don't see one yet for this episode)
    http://videos.bbcamerica.com/category/27982471001/Doctor-Who/72527769001/Confidentials/

More videos:
    http://videos.bbcamerica.com/category/27982471001/Doctor-Who/836176502001/Season-6/

If you missed an episode, here is the tv schedule for current and re-run episodes:
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/tvschedule.jsp?showsList=123

Also check On Demand if your cable guys offer this.

Doctor Who specials include:

7:00 PM Doctor Who Rewind - Doctor Who Rewind
    TV-PG
    10:00 PM Doctor Who in America - Doctor Who in America
    TV-PG
    Check tv listings and On Demand if you missed tonight's shows.

Poll:
    No new Doctor Who til summer, what will you do?

(General Doctor Who discussion)

Discussion regarding the previous episode:
    Doctor Who 04/23/11 - The Impossible Astronaut
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=468598

So, what did you think of this episode and this 2 part story ?

2. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    DianaMo, I think you may have a Doctor Who problem. :D

I don't know what I thought of this episode yet. I might have to watch again.

They are being awfully free with the functional chameleon circuit lately. I assume that will stop now that River isn't there to pilot it "correctly"

Z

3. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    My son thought of the Lodger episode. Do you think that one ties into this one?

4. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    Yes in a wibbly wobbly timey wimey way :)

The Doctor mentioned that he found one of these ships before, but it was abandoned. Then in this episode he forced everyone that used those ships to leave/get killed which lead directly to the abandonment of the ship he had previously interacted with. That was how I interpreted it.

Z

5. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've still got to say: Worst Nixon actor ever. Wow.

My mind is officially blown... the kid, who may or may not be Amy's kid, is apparently part Time Lord? Could the kid be River Song? :eek:

Clearly. The Doctor remarked how the room seemed familiar - he obviously remembered it from that episode.

6. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I enjoyed the episode but not as much as last week. It didn't get the juices flowing quite as well, seemed like they tried to pack too much in. When you consider that you never REALLY know the order The Doctor does things in it's tough.

I didn't like that they did not address the Doctor being killed at the beginning of the two parter and in many ways it was a very inaccessible show because there seemed like so many references to things I could not quite remember (have The Silence got me ?).

Looks like a relatively whimsical episode for next week and we have have to remember we're only a few weeks away from the mid season cliffhanger :(

7. jeremy3721

jeremy3721 MrTivo

Feb 16, 2002
    East Tennessee
    Wow! I thought that was an amazing episode. Best for Matt Smith by a mile.

When are the episodes available on iTunes? I want to watch without commercials and 20 lines of static text constantly on the screen. I also had some trouble hearing the audio on BBC's broadcast.

8. ebf

ebf New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Can someone explain the whole the Doctor's future is River's past thing? Someone said it harks back to "Silence in the Library", but I don't remember enough about the episode.

9. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    Invisibility is not the same as the chameleon circut, that circut is what made it assume shapes to blend into it's surroundings, not to cloak itself. Theoretically, a functioning one can adjust it's outer size as well.

10. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    It just happens that, for a reason they have yet to reveal on the show, River seems to be encountering the Doctor in reverse order. From River's perspective, her final meeting with the Doctor was in "Silence in the Library" - although it was, from our perspective and the Doctor's, his first meeting with her.

It follows, of course, that eventually we're going to get to a point where from River's perspective, she first meets the Doctor, although the Doctor will know everything about her. He's going to have to "play dumb" and pretend not to know her at that point to keep the integrity of the timeline.

11. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    That. Was awesome. I kept trying to think of how The Doctor was going to outwit The Silence-and the answer was brilliant. Rory and Amy are great as Companions.

12. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    For a show that's trying to broaden its audience (based on the big promotional push of BBCA, the US setting and the little intro piece in the pilot), this episode felt very complicated. Back references were made to previous seasons that are going to mean nothing to new viewers and leave them with no context to place them.

A number of things just seemed really off about the structure and pacing of this episode and the way information was revealed.

The way the girl in the astronaut suit was woven into the Silence plot e.g. confused me. They're connected, right? They're just putting the whole Silence thing on hold while they branch out to some other adventures, so they can pick it up again and it doesn't turn into a drawn out serialized show that you'd have to watch every episode of, right?

I also don't understand why River thought the Doctor would remember kissing her before. She knows that whatever relationship they share(d), it's still in his future, right? Maybe sci fi nerds (and I use that term endearingly as one of them) can wrap their minds around the River/Doctor timeline better than the average viewer, but even I'm still struggling with it. I need some kind of chart.

13. pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    Indiana
    Was the video of the Silence that was broken into the moonwalk positioned at the section which there is some dispute as to what word was said by Armstrong?

14. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    No, it was after... "That's one small step for man," cut to the Silence video where it would have been "One giant leap for mankind." Armstrong thought he said "One small step for a man," but it's always seemed clear to me (although as you say there's some dispute) that he left out the "a".

15. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    She knew this was early in this Doctor's relationship with her, but not exactly what had gone on between them. So she didn't realize that this Doctor had never kissed her.

What didn't make sense to me, however, was that she would think that the Doctor's first kiss would be her last, which seemed to be what she was thinking when she realized that this was the Doctor's first kiss with her.

There is a big gap between the Byzantium, the Doctor's second encounter with her, and the Library, his first. And since she didn't act like she hadn't seen the Doctor in ages at the Library, I'm fairly certain that her future self will encounter future Doctors in between.

Of course, she doesn't know that yet, but the fact that her current self was comparing diaries with the Doctor means she must have already encountered the Doctor in a non-linear order.

Since they have agreed not to share "spoilers" with each other, there would be no need to keep and compare diaries if they were encountering each other in exactly the opposite directions. Comparing diaries only makes sense if they have shared history, and they can only have shared history if she sometimes encounters future Doctors instead of continuing to encounter younger and younger ones.

16. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    And apparently Rory, Amy, and River never watched the moon landing footage because none of them tried to kill any of the Silence on sight. (Well, River wanted to, but that was just River being River. :D)

But if repeated memory wipes causes people to go crazy, what does that mean for those who watch the moon landing footage over and over again? Does that explain the moon landing conspiracy theories? :D

17. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    They did, but the Doctor hadn't gone back and inserted the footage of the Silence yet. (Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey...)

:D

18. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The little girls story is not all told yet. That is why it does not make complete sense. If it did, then the story is told. Patience.

Well, there is about 200 years for the Doctor before he is "killed."

Patience. This is obviously the season (or at least half season) story this year.

19. pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    Indiana
    That's what Doctor Who has done for every season since it's return in 2005.

Bad Wolf '05
    Torchwood '06
    Harold Saxon / You Are Not Alone '07
    Rose / Missing planets & moons '08
    He will knock four times '09
    The crack / Silence will fall '10
    Silence will fall / Timechild '11

Moffat has made the seeding more prominent than RTD, but seeds of the season cliffhanger have always been planted in the majority of episodes leading up to it. And as mentioned there will be two season ends this year.

20. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    The only thing I was confused about, was why the Doctor was captured at the beginning of part 2, and why the companions were on the run from the feds.