Doctor Who Christmas Special 2011 - The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Dec 26, 2011.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    That was nice. I really enjoyed this year's Christmas special. I was hoping the kids would get to see the Tardis do its thing though.

I downloaded an hd torrent and transferred it to my TiVo. It looked really good. I recorded the BBCA version too but their onscreen graphics are much more obnoxiously obnoxious than BBC One's.

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That was sappy, sentimental claptrap.

But in a surprisingly good way.

3. Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    I'm having cable issues (and company was closed for the holidays) so we missed it. Since I hardly ever do torrents I always forget exactly what to do. I have uTorrent already. Question is...where does one find the torrent in order to start downloading?

I've looked a couple of places I think I've used before but I can't seem to find this particular episode and a few other places I've seen look a bit dodgy. Can someone point me in the right direction?

4. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Try googling "Doctor Who Christmas 2011"

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    HA! and I agree 100%, it was schmaltzy sentimental claptrap, and I enjoyed every minute.

6. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    I just found it ok. I really am trying to like Matt Smith, and this may be one of his best episodes - but for me, that's not saying much. Not one I'd go out of my way to re-watch, and sadly, that sums up this entire last season.

7. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    Steven Moffat has an incredible knack for pulling out happy endings in the most amazing ways. The guy is a genius. He may be the best screenwriter on TV today.

8. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    I kind of felt the opposite, and expected a variation on that exact ending as soon as the guy "died".

Z

9. kmccbf

kmccbf New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I found the opening pre-credits a bit confusing, but after that it was fun. Not a bad Christmas show. However not one of my favorites.

10. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Pretty good but nowhere near as good as last years (which I watched earlier in the day). Not as good, or deep, as the whole season.

The saddest thing was not having the "coming soon" at the end like they did last year. Watching that, having seen the whole season, was interesting.

11. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I'm not sure the outcome was supposed to be much of a surprise, and not being a surprise didn't seem to diminish it at all. We all kinda knew what was coming one way or another, if only because not ending it that way would have been one hell of a depressing way to wrap up a Christmas special.

From the moment the Doctor told the widow how to fly the sphere, I personally expected them to end up landing with a plan crashed halfway through the dome, having intersected it in flight. Same idea.

Honestly, I'd rank it above last year, not that I disliked last year.

12. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Active Member

Dec 26, 2000
    Loved the ending, fun episode. But really I'm not surprised anymore, Moffat is so good.

I was more surprised by the fact that the new AbFab was really funny.

13. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    :eek:

14. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    It was OK. Not thrilling but OK. Now that I understand that this is a thing shown in GB for children it makes sense.

15. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, it's more of what is considered a "family" or all-ages show. ("The Sarah Jane Adventures" was the children's show "version" of Doctor Who.)

16. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Watched it On Demand since I don't get the HD version of the channel, but On Demand is HD. I wish closed captioning worked with on demand as I couldn't understand some lines, but whatever.

It was okay, not great, but okay. No real plot to speak of. It was basically a feel good story. No where near as good as last year's though which had story and emotion.

17. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    If she was thinking strongly about "home," shouldn't the destination have been their permanent home, not the place where they were staying temporarily?

18. dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    I had to re-watch the ending of last season, and the Doc says he's gotten too popular, he has to lie low for awhile. Next thing we saw him is escaping a spaceship being blown up. Not exactly lying low.

19. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    At least he made sure to blow up the ship so that no one survived to speak of his return. :)

20. Linnemir

Linnemir Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Sentimental? Yes! Feel-good? Definitely! Predictable? Yeah, but better we predict happy endings than tragic ones ...

I'd checked On Demand on Monday and didn't see this; figured comcast had struck again. So many many thanks to Morac, as that comment led me to try the on demand menu again and get the ep on its last day!

This was a funny Christmas season for me. None of my usual 'get in the spirit' tools worked (White Christmas, carols, the whole gamut). THIS finally put me in the Christmas spirit!