Doctor Who "Christmas Invasion" 9/8/07 BBC America

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Cainebj, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Sep 9, 2007 #1 of 15
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    OK - as a new Doctor Who viewer...

Can one of you Doctor Who fans explain why they re-cast Doctor Who?

Was it really just in the writing, or did the other guy quit or get fired?

Or is it some Time Lord thing that I don't get yet?

Very good episode btw :)

2. Sep 9, 2007 #2 of 15
    stark

stark Member

Dec 31, 2003
    Eden...
    The story explanation is that when a Time Lord dies, they are regenerated in a new form. The two doctors in the new series are actually the 9th and 10th doctors. This allowed the show to go on if an actor wasn't working out or if they wanted to leave.

The real world explanation was that the BBC wanted a more well-known actor for the relaunch. Christopher Eccleston didn't want to do more than one year, so it was known going in that they were going to re-cast after the first year.

3. Sep 9, 2007 #3 of 15
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    In fact, rumor has it that Tennant was their first choice, but the BBC overrode them because he wasn't a big enough name to relaunch the series. But they knew Tennant was going to be the second new Doctor before they knew Eccleston would be the first.

4. Sep 9, 2007 #4 of 15
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Thank you both - I knew there was a story ;)

5. Sep 9, 2007 #5 of 15
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I personally still really love Eccleston's take on the role, edgy, dangerous, and I find him amazingly handsome. (even with the ears!) So I can see how Rose fell for him, I don't see her falling for Tennant's Doctor.

While Tennant has done a great job, and I think he really pulls it off every week, I also see him being more the "classic Doctor" archetype, as opposed to Eccleston's edgier portrayal.

If it was a choice of Eccleston for only one series, then moving on to Tennant vs no Eccelston at all, I'm ok with their choice.

Diane

6. Sep 9, 2007 #6 of 15
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, I preferred Eccleston myself. Tennant grew on me during his first season, but shrunk on me during his second (although I think the writing is mostly to blame for that); at his peak he was in Eccleston's league, but overall I prefer Eccleston's more daring performance to Tennant's safe, "been-there-done-that" take on the role.

7. Sep 9, 2007 #7 of 15
    BubbaTX

BubbaTX New Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Austin, TX...
    I agree with you for the most part about the writing not being up to snuff this season, but I must say "Blink" has been my favo(u)rite episode in a long time. It didn't matter who played the Doctor.

I would like to have seen Eccleston's take on "Human Nature" / "Family of Blood" though. These episodes portrayed a different, vulnerable, side of the Doctor.

I've yet to talk to anyone who doesn't prefer the edgier, more daring Eccleston to Tennant. But, at least with Tennant we get to watch the Doctor and have this discussion.

I can do without Catherine Tate though; not a fan. But, could be worse... could be CSI Cardiff, er. Torchwood. :rolleyes:

8. Sep 9, 2007 #8 of 15
    JMikeD

JMikeD Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You haven't talked to me, then. :) :)

I prefer Tennant. But not by much.

9. Sep 9, 2007 #9 of 15
    Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    She was intrigued by Eccleston's Doctor, but Tennant's Doctor is much more approachable. She was in awe of the first one, but the second one was the one she fell in love with. He was more playful, more fun than the first doctor, who was still grieving over the loss of his planet, family, etc. Rose brought him out of his shell, but he completely shed the shell during his regeneration.

10. BubbaTX

BubbaTX New Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Austin, TX...
    Yes, but you are a "professional skeptic" so that skews your preference. :p

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Is he, though?

What's your evidence for that statement?

Have you thoroughly evaluated it?

Have you adequately considered alternative theories?

12. BubbaTX

BubbaTX New Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Austin, TX...
    Yeah, I was skeptical too. Just can't trust these skeptics these days.

13. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I thought I liked Eccleston until I recently rewatched some of the new-doc Season 1 shows. Memory served him better than reality for me.

14. ironchef

ironchef Smiley Averse

Dec 27, 2002
    DiD anyone else catch Tennant onthe Graham Norton Show? The whole show was way over the top.

15. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I thought it was pretty good. I liked how he called the dude back (the one from Gloryhole) and said "You had your chance and you blew it." :D