Doctor Who: "42" (OAD US 08/17)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jtown0620, Aug 20, 2007.

1. jtown0620

jtown0620 TIMELORD with TiVo

Jun 17, 2004
    Trinity, Fl.

Advertisements

Another great episode! I like how they are working in the Saxon story line. You can really feel it building up to something! I have to admit I like Martha more than Rose. I think she is a better companion. She comes across, to me anyway, a whole lot smarter and able to handle her self better than Rose did.

2. Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Very cool episode. Martha is a pretty good companion, very suprised that they picked a new companion even hotter than Rose.

What is the Saxon story line? I understand there is a bad guy (assuming The Master) that talked to Marthas mother.

What is going on there? Have we been told more and I just missed it?

(Spoiler it if you have information not presented in the series to this point)

3. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    An episode called "42" with no Douglas Adams references?

(Unless I missed one, which is possible, I guess.)

4. HTH

HTH No Avatar Selected

Aug 28, 2000
    Lincoln, NE
    The title is the number of minutes until impact.

5. Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001

Advertisements

I was thinking the same thing

6. jtown0620

jtown0620 TIMELORD with TiVo

Jun 17, 2004
    Trinity, Fl.
    The saxon references occurred in Smith & Jones (posters on the background wall @ end of eps.) & Lazarus Experiment. Harold Saxon is the man running for PM who is giving bad info to Marthas family about the Doctor. To learn more goto www.haroldsaxon.co.uk I haven't written any spoilers just out of respect to those who don't know of the upcoming story arc.

7. taronga

taronga Member

Nov 15, 2006
    KY
    Wikipedia :

There's another Douglas Adams connection. This episode's Doctor Who Confidential includes a retrospective on Who spaceships of the past, and the Jagaroth ship from "City of Death" (written by Adams) is featured prominently.

8. JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003
    How did Martha's phone work when they were in close solar orbit? Never mind the 8 minute time lag for speed of light.

9. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The Doctor used his sonic screwdriver to make Rose Tyler's phone work no matter where or when she was. It would make sense for him to do the same to Martha's phone even though we don't see it happen.

10. JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003
    Thanks. I only started watching this recently, and have only seen one Rose episode.

11. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Also never mind that it's not even Earth's solar system that they're in, or the fact that it's several thousand years in the future.

The roaming charges must be astronomical! ;)

12. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    We don't see him make the adjustment, but they do have a bit of dialogue where the Doctor is explaining the newly installed feature. It's quick and IIRC, it's not massively explicit as they expect the viewer to be familiar with the concept from when he did it for Rose.