Doctor Who 4/12: The Fires of Pompeii!

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jeremy3721, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeremy3721

jeremy3721 MrTivo

Feb 16, 2002
    East Tennessee

Advertisements

AWESOME!

I give the Fires of Pompeii a 9 out of 10. Great special effects, good story, lots of emotion and hints at upcoming events.

I also enjoyed the cameo role that Megatron had, I never knew he had such acting range! :)

Much Much better than the first week.

2. Sherminator

Sherminator ɹǝs∩ pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝᴚ

Nov 24, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    Subscribing so that I can find this thread once it gets moved to UK General Chit Chat.

3. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Yeah it was an awesome episode!

4. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Agreed.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

I'm starting to like Donna...A) she's not yet another Rose clone, so it looks like they've learned from the Martha mistake, B) she reacts to things the way people would react to things, and C) she doesn't just blindly accept what the Doctor tells her. She can still be a bit annoying and the writing is still somewhat awkward, but at least she's her own character and I think as the character and writers settle in she could turn out to be one of the better companions.

6. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Agreed so far so good. I like Donna a lot better than I did in the Christmas episode.

7. hapdrastic

hapdrastic Swarley

Mar 31, 2006
    It would be hard to like her less....

I thought this was a pretty good episode. Started a little slow for me, I don't usually like the one-off episodes, but it ended very well. Loved the "decision" they had to make, and Donna really gained some points (with me) for helping the Doctor. Good stuff.

Oh, wow, I'm really slow. I saw this and was looking for who Frank Welker (voice of Megatron) had played this episode, but then I looked back at the stone creatures and realized what you meant.

8. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Great episode. I too warmed up to Donna in this episode. I see that they're going with a different dynamic for his companion and it's working great. I was expecting this episode to be boring, but it was anything but. Fantastic!

9. Dignan

Dignan _

Jan 27, 2002
    _
    I had minor flashbacks to the series Rome, with MST3K production values...

I'll use this thread to ask a question that has bothered me. I know we are all getting this series on Saturday via torrents/newsgroups. I usually end up using the 350 mb divx (exterminate or martha). BUT, I have downloaded the 1.5gb mpeg2 files. They will play on a computer but if I convert with Visualhub to MP4 I get a video stutter. (Spike, this was the same issue I had with Torchwood).

I have no problem with US series in MKV format but for some reason my Visualhub conversions of UK series in anything other than smallish divx files are jittery.

And Donna is growing on me, but I still wish she wasn't there. I feel like a naggy housewife is slowing down the Doctor.

10. walkerjs

walkerjs New Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Shh, he's Celtic. :D

Yeah, I got that too. Except I got major flashbacks to that series. Off to see the Confidential.

11. quango

quango Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Macon, Georgia
    The conversion you are doing is probably translating the framerate from 25 frames per second (which is the European standard) to 29.97 or 30 fps (or maybe film's framerate, 24 fps). See if you can force VisualHub to keep the original framerate (looking at VisualHub's website, this is in the "advanced" tab).

12. Dignan

Dignan _

Jan 27, 2002
    _
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot next week. The 1.5gb version looks really great, it will be nice to see it if it works.

13. weymo

weymo timeshifter

Jan 26, 2003
    Atlanta
    Okay, so I was excited to see the SciFi is going to run the next series of Doctor Who shortly after they air in Britain. Also glad to see they picked up Sarah Jane...my kids will be happy with even MORE Who-stuff. But here's the thing, the season premiere advertised on SciFi says it guest stars Kylie Minogue. Are they running something out of order or am I missing something?

And yes, I'm warming to Donna.

I want to see more of the Tardis...the other rooms that we haven't yet been shown since the new incarnation. Bell tower, bedrooms, etc.

14. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Smeeking. Can we please wait until the show airs in the US?

15. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That's the Christmas Special that they always air between seasons.

16. weymo

weymo timeshifter

Jan 26, 2003
    Atlanta
    Hey thanks Rob! I forget about those...and the Children in Need and the Red Nose Day stuff. :p

17. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Active Member

Dec 26, 2000
    Just avoid the thread?

18. nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    I'm with cheesesteak. It's hard to just avoid the thread. I wasn't sure until I got in it if this was an episode that hadn't aired yet, or if my TiVo just missed picking it up because the listing wasn't right and it didn't know to record it. We already had another thread moved to UK chit chat because the episodes hadn't aired in the US yet. I can't remember if it was Dr. Who or Torchwood.

Maybe a compromise - at least put in the thread title that it's a UK showing and not a US showing. That will make it easier for us to avoid the thread.

19. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Why? Do you not know if you watched the show and thus are worried you'll think you watched it and come into the thread? And if you know you didn't watch it, and come into the thread anyway, does it matter where it aired?

20. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Why would you think coming into a thread marked for an episode is a good idea if you didn't watch it yet? If it's a matter of wondering if your TiVo just missed it, wouldn't you go to a site like www.epguides.com and check rather than go into a thread that exists expressly for the purpose of discussion of it with open spoilers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.