1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doctor Who 11x7 "Kerblam!"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Kerblam! is SO familiar. It's driving me crazy...where have I seen them before?!?

:D

ThePennyDropped likes this.
  2. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Didn’t they just announce opening operations on 2 other moons?

3. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The human workers were incredibly inefficient.

One thing I didn't get: how did Yaz's friend, the guy with the pendant his daughter made, die? Did he somehow get blowed up by bubble wrap or did the robots kill him?

I was certain that the system was turning the missing people into robots. Glad I was wrong on that.

The robot army reminded me of China's Terracotta Soldiers

LlamaLarry likes this.
  4. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    He (along with the other disappeared) was a test-case for the bubble-wrap.

5. kaszeta

kaszeta Ceci n'est pas une conserve TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Most of this season has been kinda meh to me, but I enjoyed both last week's "Partition of India" episode and this "Amazon analog" episode. I was actually a bit surprised by the bubble wrap, I've never trusted that stuff. ;)

LlamaLarry, jeetkunedo and tim1724 like this.
  6. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I really liked this episode. I was even surprised that it wasn't an "evil A.I. trying to take over the world" but an evil terrorist/hacker and the A.I. was actually crying out for help to stop the guy.

This is the way I like commentary to be made. It's not Amazon but a moon sized delivery company. Automation itself is not evil but they way it is used can be.

So fun story with some good campy SciFi. And a little social commentary thrown in. Much more appealing to me then the "Let's watch some dark moment in Earth's history, have little to no effect, then leave." episode.

Tony_T and tim1724 like this.
  7. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002

Although Amazon is the global analog I want to make sure the additional local politics analog receives it much deserved opprobrium.

Ryan recognised the Group Loop because he wore one in the "Sport Stack" warehouse he worked in.

For "Sport Stack" read "Sports Direct" and its CEO Mike Ashley.

[​IMG]
    Mike Ashley, founder and majority shareholder of sportwear retailer Sports Direct, at the controversial Shirebrook warehouse. Photograph: Darren Staples/Reuters >
    Sports Direct fails to meet 2016 pledge on working conditions

More than once Mike Ashley has been described as the bully the Doctor said she didn't like >
    Mike Ashley has pocketed millions from treating people like battery hens | Aditya Chakrabortty
    "a bull-necked bully in a suit"

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    tim1724, Rob Helmerichs and kaszeta like this.
  8. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I’m not sure what you are referencing but they remind me of the bad guys from Buffy Once More With Feeling.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I was thinking more of
    Amazon.com.
    ;)

10. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    upload_2018-11-20_9-58-36.jpeg Next week on Doctor Who...

11. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    This was the first episode this season that I enjoyed. I think she's doing a fine job channeling David Tenant, it's the story line's I've found lacking.

tim1724, Tony_T and JMikeD like this.
  12. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Liked the Fez :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  13. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Kerblam delivery is about two lifetimes late.

14. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    I love her. I hate what they’ve written for her. It barely feels like doctor who anymore.

15. pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    Indiana
    It just dawned on me that the system directed The Doctor to the source of the problem when assigning duties. But she used her sonic screwdriver to switch her yet to be known job assignment with Graham's.

Had she left the group loops alone, maybe Dan & Kira would not have died. And the episode would have been a lot shorter.

tim1724 and 59er like this.
  16. pgogborn

Nov 11, 2002
    I think one of the problems is the number of companions is higher than usual and sometimes there is only a single real antagonist in an episode - this gives each person in the TARDIS including the Doctor fewer lines, less action.

The ratio of Team TARDIS to good guys is also a problem, spoiler from episode 5 the Tsuranga Conundrum:
    instead of two companions and one medic helping one person give birth to a single child I think I would have enjoyed it more if the companions were frantically running down corridors delivering multiple babies.

Another problem is that to to the best of my knowledge episodes were largely written before the person playing the Doctor was cast, maybe before the number of companions were decided.

17. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'm almost certain that's not the case...they do the casting WAY in advance, which leads to a very long time when the new actor has to keep it a secret.

18. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    And most of the episodes have been written by Chibnall, who almost certainly was writing with Jodie Whittaker in mind, as most of his casting decisions seem to be rooted in Broadchurch.* (Which is appropriate enough, given that when Broadchurch was made it seemed like they were mostly casting people from Doctor Who.)

* latest example: the HR woman at Kerblam!

19. pgogborn

Nov 11, 2002

They also appoint the showrunner/script runner in advance. The announcement that Chris Chibnall was the new Doctor Who showrunner was January 2016, the announcement that Jodie Whittaker was the new Doctor Who was July 2017. Because of his long association with Torchwood and Doctor Who it would not surprise me if Chibnall has some reasonably well developed treatments ready to go before he was appointed showrunner.

There is more than one not entirely consistent account but it would seem that Whittaker asked Chibnall if she could be an alien before Chibnall asked her to consider auditioning for the Doctor.

Several actors were auditioned for the part by the production team and Chibnall was not the sole decision maker.

20. pgogborn

Nov 11, 2002

The Head of People woman at Kerblam! is a very experienced and respected actor, Broadchurch is a minor item on her CV.

Being able to talk directly to Chris Chibnall because of Broadchurch gave her a major advantage but by her own account Julie Hesmondhalgh put it out she wanted to be in Doctor Who before Broadchurch >
    Julie Hesmondhalgh played the “long game” to get a role on Doctor Who