Doctor Who 04/23/11 - The Impossible Astronaut

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by pteronaut, Apr 23, 2011.

1. pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    Indiana
    Multiple Episode Story

2. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Why did BBCA show it in SD? The logo's OVERLAPPED INTO the HD area, the same thing with the TV-PG, yet the aspect ratio is 1.85:1. Annoying as hell.

Edit to add: BRILLIANT!

W. Morgan Sheppard playing the older version of Mark Sheppard!

Greg

3. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Yeah it looks kind of crappy to me.

4. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I never knew that the older guy was Mark Sheppard's father! I just never looked into it... and now that I see his IMDB page, the two both appear to love appearing in genre television. :)

This was SO much better than most of the previous season. I loved the slow ramp up of the pace towards the ending. Matt Smith was still definitively his style of the Doctor, but he did seem to be somewhat more restrained than before.

The Nixon actor was pretty rubbish. :) Also, as much as I like Mark Sheppard, I'm not sure why they couldn't find someone with a real American accent, but since I like him so much I'll let that slide. :)

I don't know why they needed to add the "saga sell" - the brief Amy Pond narration before the title sequence. It didn't really tell those new to the series anything they needed to know, or anything they couldn't pick up in context... and those who have seen the series know all that. (The UK version did not have that, obviously)

The US tribute to Elisabeth Sladen seemed kind of oddly placed, wedged in before the closing credits as if they had forgotten to include it until the last minute. :(

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    They felt they didn't have a choice. Union rules require Mark Sheppard appear in any genre show filmed in North America. They weren't sure this one counted, since it's a British production, but they didn't want to have a lengthy court fight over it, so they just cast him to be safe.

:D

6. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I'm not sure why River was being so dramatic about a day when she would encounter the Doctor and he would not know her. Have the writers confused Doctor Who with the book The Time Traveler's Wife (or perhaps Dan Simmons Hyperion/Endymion series?), or am I missing something? In TTW, the time travel was involuntary and the times apparently random. In Doctor Who, the Doctor can (mostly) control his time travel. So, when the day River mentions comes, the encounter should go something like: Doctor: Who are you? River: Oh, you don't know me? Cool. I know you. Why don't we meet at such and such a time when we both know each other. Doctor: Okay, see you later!

I just don't get River's drama queen act.

7. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    We have already seen the moment that River was talking about.

8. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Yes, so? Do you mean you think she knows "now" (in this episode) that she is going to die then? Because I had the impression she does not know she will die just after the Doctor does not know her. She keeps emphasizing the not being known part, and does not mention the dying part. Anway, even if she did know, then she could just depart "now" (after this episodes events are complete) and time travel to a time when the Doctor does know her, and spend a lot of time with him, and then, perhaps years later, travel to the library to see the Doctor for his first time, and then die. I don't see the problem.

9. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I'm unclear why I feel such negativity in this thread. As always i loved it. Watching Doctor Who is the most exciting TV everytime it's on. Being a forgiving TV watcher really has it's benefits.

10. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    They built their own Oval? Nobody had one in storage somewhere? ;)

11. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Not sure I'm going to like a season long "Amy's pregnant" theme.

I'm trying to figure out why aliens would be wearing a suit and tie.

I thought the Doctor's and River Song's "hookups" were random in time. This episode made it seem like there was a pattern - backwards in her time line.

I could have sworn I heard a voiceover at the very beginning saying there'd be limited commercials. Seemed like the same number to me and they were inserted with no regard to the scene's action. Also, at one hour's length, I wonder if the BBCA version is missing a couple of minutes from the BBC version. If so, they should have added an extra 15 minutes like they did for Being Human.

BBCA is one of those channels that doesn't give a crap about the viewer's experience. Their channel bug and announcements at the bottom of the screen take up serious real estate.

12. Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004
    Their the source of "the men in black" urban legend of course. You forget about them when you look away....

13. RichardHead

RichardHead Musical Klutz

Nov 16, 2003
    Hollywood,...
    I have DirecTV and I sent them a note the other day asking when they were going to pick up BBCA HD. The response was "We have no plans ...", etc.

I always watch an HD version from the net and this one was the same length as the BBCA version but had the Lis Sladen tribute at the start of the show.

Rest in peace, Sarah Jane!

14. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Ms. Sladen passed away 5 days ago - of course it was last minute. I for one was pleased to see they put it in at all.
    Sad.

All in all - very enjoyable episode - I liked it more than most of last season. I wish I had known it was a 2-parter, I would have just waited til next week and watch them both at the same time.

I thought just the opposite.
    Being a companion collaborator of the Dr. has its emotional consequences.
    I thought it was well written and well played.

15. USAFSSO

USAFSSO Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Las Cruces, NM
    I got the impression she got "pregnant" from seeing the alien. River Song had a similar sick reaction after seeing them.

16. JMikeD

JMikeD Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Since she died only four days before the episode aired, and after it was in the can, I surprised they managed to include it at all.

17. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    As somebody noted before, in the UK (where the episode aired hours earlier) it got a much more prominent placement.

18. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    It was actually shown on CBBC (Children's BBC) after the show aired. There was mention of it as the end credits rolled.

19. Pralix

Pralix Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Maybe the reaction was like the cramps Buffy would get when she was near a vampire.

20. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think you're talking about the special they ran; we're talking about the text thing they showed before the show in the UK and right before the closing credits in the US.