Doctor Who “Revolution of the Daleks” 1/1/21 *** Spoilers ***

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by zordude, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Jan 3, 2021 #1 of 25
    zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH

Advertisements

Nice to have the Doctor back.

Overall I enjoyed the episode, seemed like a nice way to transition a couple of companions out.

Did not love Chris North though, really stuck out in a British show and did a pretty poor job.

Always love to see Jack, was surprised they left him wandering on earth, gave me some false hope for another spinoff with Gwen

2. Jan 3, 2021 #2 of 25
    Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    *whine whine whine* you left us for 10 WHOLE MONTHS!!! whine whine whine*

uh, well I WAS in space jail for 19 years ...

*whine whine whine* 10 WHOLE MONTHS!!! whine whine whine*

And really, the TARDIS takes 4 minutes to get from England to Osaka?

3. Jan 3, 2021 #3 of 25
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, they have a point. That's one thing that's always bugged me about time travel on this show...it's always so LINEAR. Because the Doctor shows up ten months late, she can't then jump back ten months. Huh?!? If the show had ever taken time travel seriously she would have shown up ten months late, and they would have said "Dude, we already met you ten months ago, so go back there already!"

4. Jan 3, 2021 #4 of 25
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Amy Pond had to wait 12 years...:)
    ...and later 2 more years.

(Still my favorite Doctor and Fam Companions)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  5. Jan 3, 2021 #5 of 25
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish

Advertisements

"mutter, mutter, mutter" Daleks...
    I have had more than enough returning to that pool and I'm not enjoying them ever anymore.
    Just let them go.

Except for the dalek part, it was ok ;)

6. Jan 3, 2021 #6 of 25
    morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I thought the entire episode was “meh” at best. I found myself bored, periodically checking how much time was left.

It was nice having Jack back (I miss him), but I felt like he was wasted here. He’s immortal, yet wasn’t “killed” even once in this episode. It seemed like his sole purpose was to be used as a transporter and to have him throw out lines to fans who’ve been around since season 1 of the new series. Same thing with the prisoners being baddies from prior seasons. I felt like I was watching something from the Chris Farley show where the writers were trying to jam in as many throw away references to past episode and other series as possible. “Remember Rose from season 1? Remember how she’s in an alternate universe now? That was awesome. Remember Gwen Cooper. She was awesome.”

It also seems like every time the Daleks show up in Doctor Who recently they become more of a joke and less of a threat. They seem pretty easy to beat now. Teleport on to their ship, where they let you wander around unimpeded despite knowing you are there, drop some bombs and that’s it.

Overall it wasn’t a terrible episode, but it was disappointing.

7. Jan 3, 2021 #7 of 25
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Reminds me of the Clerks TV series, where the second episode was a clip show. :D

8. Jan 3, 2021 #8 of 25
    Bruce24

Bruce24 Active Member

Jan 8, 2003
    boston
    Not their best. Liked seeing Jack, although for someone who is immortal, he sure has done some aging since his Torchwood days. Don't mind Graham and Ryan going their own way, not my favorites.

Something very annoying at the end, then mention they are about to introduce the next companion, then I get yet another ad for The Watch, and then my recording ends before they get back for the introduction.

9. Jan 3, 2021 #9 of 25
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    "Have you had work done?" "You can talk!" (Which amused me even before I realized it was a throwback to his first appearance with David Tennant...but I believe in the interim Barrowman really did have some work done.)

dianebrat likes this.
  10. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Was the Doctor imprisoned for 19 of her years? She let the companions whine too much about her absence. She should have emphasized the "jail" part more forcefully.

I was surprised that the Judoon didn't chase after the Doctor. It's not like she's all that hard to find. Just wait for her to show up on Earth.

I was hoping that Yaz would be the Doctor's sole companion for a while.

Can I join the "I'm tired of Daleks" club too?

11. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Fam” (I hate that, btw)

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think "fam" is the plural of "companion" (plus the Doctor)... ;)

13. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Just noticed that S1-12 are on HBO Max
    (And Torchwood as well as Sarah Jane)

14. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Yep everything except this special, though I’m assuming it will get there eventually.

15. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    This stood out to me too. It was just an excuse to let Ryan and the Doctor have their scene, absolutely no other reason.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    They had to do their two-week coronavirus quarantine, but because they were in the TARDIS, they could do it in four minutes.

:D

ThePennyDropped likes this.
  17. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I know it's all a part of the aging process, but John Barrowman to me looked a LOT puffier around the face than I remember him being. It's going to be very hard for him to continue to sell him being immortal (although much easier to sell the possible joke that he's eventually going to become the Face of Boe, the giant head in a giant jar off in the distant future).

18. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    He’s immortal in that he can’t be killed (permanently). He didn’t get eternal youth.

19. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    To be fair, the time the tardis takes to go anywhere has never been established. We know there is some finite time because we have seen the vortex graphic many times. It isn’t a teleportation device. We’ve seen it fly. It is a ship that travels in space and time and we know the Doctor can’t control it precisely all the time.

20. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    And like River Song said, the Doctor never releases the parking brake before takeoff. (The "screetch/whoosh" sound when it dematerializes).

--Carlos V.

Tony_T and dianebrat like this.