Do you watch Live TV?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by allan, Jan 31, 2012.

1. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    Do you watch Live or semi-live TV, and if so, why?

I often watch news, political shows, and occasional spur of the moment stuff that I don't bother recording live, or at least semi-live (maybe 15 min behind real time). Also, if there's a really good show on my SP, I'll watch it live out of impatience, especially if I know this board will be talking about it tomorrow.

2. agentpaul

agentpaul Member

Feb 28, 2002
    SoCal
    I usually have a backlog of shows I need to watch so I rarely watch live TV. If something does catch my eye then I'll watch it till the commercial break. Then I get annoyed and set a recording for it and come back to watch it later. Tivo has pretty much spoiled me beyond any repair. I no longer has the patience for commercial breaks. Even for current events like news or political stuff, I'll record it and try come back later in an hour to finish up.

3. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    It happens on occasion.

I catch myself reaching for the remote to FF through commercials..oops can't do that.

:(

4. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    +1

5. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Quite often. If I'm home, and there is something on that I want to watch, I'll watch it live vs. saving it up.

6. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Pretty much the only thing I watch live is the morning and evening news. Once 8pm hits, I only watch recordings. If it's a sports event, I let it record for an hour or so before hitting Play. I forget sometimes that people still watch the old fashioned way of deciding what to watch based on what is airing at that time. People tuning in to watch show x because their normal show y was a repeat. Or people watching repeats at all. I often catch myself trying to FF on the rare occasion I am watching live. Sometimes I even catch myself wanting to hit the skip back button when listening to the radio because I missed something.

7. The Flush

The Flush Not So Notable Member TCF Club

Aug 3, 2005
    SO OH
    Yes, but usually when I only have a few minutes and don't want to watch something already recorded. Or when there just happens to be an old movie that I really like on and I will watch it. For some reason I prefer to just luck into old favorites to watch and I never record them.

Sports are almost always live.

8. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Just about never.

9. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I try to watch show that start at 10pm live. Otherwise I leave it for the next day. I hate going to bed past 11.

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    About the only thing I watch live is leaving the Tivo to buffer CNN (or once in a rare while, CSPAN) as late night 'go to sleep background noise'. Other than that, if I have tuners, I will record it. (Though I really only have 2 digital tuners now, and I guess 2 analog tuners, though a third if I wanted to power on another S1).

In other cases I have watched live, I watch something ELSE during commercials and use PIP to keep track of the original show.. (though I guess I haven't really done that since I had my new TV, which doesn't have PIP -- I bought it when my old TV died. I still use my XS32's PIP though).

11. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    Yeah. I am almost always watching something live when I'm doing something else-surfing the internet, watching my daughter.

I usually watch TiVoed stuff after 10 PM, and when I'm sitting around when she's playing.

12. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Not if I can help it.

13. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Never. Even for shows I want to watch right away (Justified, tonight, for example) I'll go do something else for 15-20 minutes and watch once a buffer is built up. If I do catch up, I'll pause it again and go do something else.

I don't even watch sports live.

14. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    See, I will *never* understand people who do this. :confused:

For me, a DVR *lets* me time shift. It doesn't *force* me to time shift. If I'm available to watch when a show is on live, great. If I'm not, that's fine too thanks to a DVR. If I'm watching live and a commercial comes on, I go do something else during the break. If I happen to take longer before coming back than the break is, I can rewind thanks a DVR.

It seems like so much wasted effort to deliberately go out of your way to sit there and twiddle your thumbs at the beginning of a show, simply to build up a buffer to avoid watching something "live."

15. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Many people don't like watching commercials.
    And it's often not a matter of sitting there and twiddling your thumbs if you watch someting else recorded first or simply do something else (like put the kids to bed, take out the trash, feed the dog, etc).

16. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Sporting events are the one thing I almost never time shift (Olympic and other events with large time differences being the one exception...I recently had to record the Australian Open because there was no way I was staying up till 7 am). Otherwise, I never watch live TV.

17. agentpaul

agentpaul Member

Feb 28, 2002
    SoCal
    It's not deliberately going out of way to do something to avoid watching commercials. It's more that I couldn't stand to sit still and twiddle my thumbs while I wait the 3~5 minutes of commercials like Jyoung said. That's why I said in my previous post that I'm badly spoiled. It's like torture now to wait for the commercial break to end. I rather be doing something else. I'm very impatient and have trouble sitting still so maybe Tivo brings out more of this side of me.

Sports though, I do my best to watch live. I start about 1.5 hours late and I usually catch up to live just as the game ends. It's great for the last 2 minutes of game time as one team is calling time outs every position of the ball. One thing I realize about myself is that with sports I need to watch it on the same day otherwise I have a hard time watching it the following days.

It's very easy to time shift. Just watch something you have already recorded. By the time you finish that show, the one you're recording should be finished. I love to tell my friends without DVRs that with Tivo, I actually watch more shows more than ever in the same amount of time it used to take to watch one show.

18. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Almost never, we avoid it whenever possible.

19. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I always watch all sporting events live. I watch early morning news and early morning sports talk shows like espn's Mike&Mike live too.

20. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I rarely watch live anything. I don't watch news and rarely watch sports these days.