Do you still watch new network shows?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Dan203, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

Do you still watch new network shows? I got sick of getting in to something and then having the rug pulled out when the network decided the ratings weren’t good enough. So I either stopped recording network shows completely or if I do record one I wait until the full season has run before I watch to ensure it made the cut.

I like the way that streaming services commit to a full season, even if it's not renewed forma second. At the very least you get to see the story arc of the first season play out. Networks are notorious for cutting shows mid season and not even filming the remainder, so there is no way to even watch the rest of the season. That just feels like a waste of time given how much other content is out there now from cable and streaming services.

This season I didn’t even set up any of the new shows. None looked interesting enough to bother with. But if one does get a lot of buzz I'll pick it up somewhere before next season.

2. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I have very few season passes setup for any of the networks. I think a couple of sitcoms e.g., Fresh Off the Boat. And I have SPs for America's got Talent, and Masked Singer (both of which I often FF through a lot of the content). The only drama I can think of that I have an SP for is "The 100" on CW. Oh, I had been watching that "Emergence" sci-fi-ish show on ABC, but I eventually bailed on that after eight or so episodes. EDIT: oh, I have an SP for "Agents of Shield", too.

I don't worry about networks cancelling shows I watch on them. The quality is so low these days, and/or what they offer just isn't what I'm interested in, that there's a *much* greater chance I'll stop watching a show before it get cancelled than there is of it getting cancelled on me.

3. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Ignoring PBS and my wife’s cooking shows we only had 2 network shows: This Is Us and Greys Anatomy and we just dropped Greys. So only 1 now.
    We have 38 season passes but in reality most nights we go to our streamer and hit HBO/Showtime/Hulu/Prime/Netflix.
    We watch live TV mostly for News, Hockey, and late night whether it’s SNL or Colbert/Kimmel.

I am thinking though of watching parts of the 40th survivor season this February for nostalgia purposes.

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    An OTA guy here and living alone, and so the TV often is on, with me watching or doing other things. Watch too many network shows, both current and past, but at different levels of attention--it's typically the death knell for a show if I multitask through it. The number of shows I avidly pay attention to without doing something else is small.

Of the new network shows this season, the number that I now watch has gone down dramatically. Apart from news shows (the evening nat'l news, Sunday morning news shows, and "60 Minutes") and late evening talk shows, I probably could count on 2 hands the number of non-rerun shows throughout the year that I like enough to really pay attention to.

5. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...

Advertisements

The quality of network TV is in the eyes and ears of the beholder. There are some good shows on network TV, but a lot of it gets lost in the rest of the crap that's mostly just filler. I watch a lot of shows that may not necessarily be great, but it's something to fill the gaps between the shows I do like much better. I try to pick and choose some shows that the wife will like to watch with me, but that's a tough job as she tends to be easily offended by just about everything. We do like to watch The Good Doctor and This Is Us, both of which can be a bit sappy, but otherwise wholesome entertainment. I watch all of the superhero shows on The CW as well as Supernatural. The superhero stuff is getting a bit boring and repetitive, but what shows don't get that way after more than a few seasons? I probably watch about 40% network, 40% cable, and 20% streaming shows. I'm not a fan of anything that's pegged as a "reality" show mainly because they couldn't be any further from the real thing. Same goes for any of the talent related shows. I'm not convinced that any of them are actually judged fairly but tend to lean towards the contestants that will bring in the most viewers regardless of whether they are the most talented or not.

6. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I do watch a lot of network shows, and maybe it's just an old habit, but I still like quite a few of them. Most on the sitcom side, because I don't think most of the sitcoms that stream, or whatever, speak to me. Most are modern ironic types that are barely funny. I'm more old school and prefer my sitcoms to be, you know, funny!! I do think there's a bit of elitist snobbery to ignore the network shows and HAVE to watch cable / streaming. A network show can't POSSIBLY be as good as streaming / premium show because they are restricted by not allowing cursing, nudity and violence. I don't mind that, but I do think a well written network show could be as good if not better than much of the rest, because they HAVE to write without that and it makes them be much more creative. But yeah, there's a lot of lousy writing all over. There's so much available that I find myself starting a lot of shows and watching an episode, realizing I probably won't like it and not bothering with the rest. But I'd say right now, I'm probably 50% network shows, and 50% the rest at this point.

7. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I set a bunch of SPs in September. Deleted a couple after Kathy died, but some of the rest are piling up. A combination of me being less interested in the genre and other things worth watching.

With YouTube TV I think most series can be streamed (with ads) back to the premier (season premiere, at least) but there's also an unlimited DVR so I could still record them all and skip ads if it was something I was aware of from the outset.

8. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Sure. I still will watch some. Why not? If it's good enough, it's good enough.

jcondon and NorthAlabama like this.
  9. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    networks are dead, cable is dying. netflix/amazon/hulu streaming is where it is at these days

10. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I create a recording for all new shows (YTTV) and will watch 1st episode
    Whether or not its season pass is deleted or not is usually decided by 2nd episode.
    But as far as new broadcast tv shows, gotta say not many usually make the cut.

11. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    By last spring most viewing was streaming here plus only a couple of new network shows, but with the help and encouragement the fine folks on TCF I set up passes for seven fall premiers and we're still watching three. I've listed six midseason premiers in a few posts so far, and there are at least one or two gems in there. We also regularly dip into news, talk, awards shows, and documentaries, and lately I find myself enjoying quite a few very old reruns but that's a different topic.

12. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I've been streaming all of my TV for a couple of weeks (including networks on YTTV). I've noticed that my T-Mobile bandwidth for January is over 300 GB. I'm glad they said "unlimited."

Steveknj likes this.
  13. kettledrum

kettledrum Active Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    Why are those three things required to make a good TV show?

Jon J likes this.
  14. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    We find ourselves watching less and less network shows each year, and most of what we do still watch are older shows that have been on for a while. I don't think we even recorded more than a few of the new fall shows. There just isn't very much that is appealing to us these days.

Back in the day, I would spend a great deal of time before each new season figuring out what shows to record on what TiVos in order to avoid conflicts. I would regularly have at least a dozen season passes devoted to new shows. Of course, that was in the days before the streaming services had so much original content.

15. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I think the problem is the requirement for massive initial numbers based upon the fact that many network based shows are filmed in LA or NYC. Cable/Streaming are typically filmed in cheaper locales such as Toronto/Vancouver/Georgia. Streaming in most cases typically commits to at least 2 or even 3 years giving the writers some story planning room.

To compensate Network shows have a lot of cheap reality shows to make up for the more expensive scripted shows.

Lastly the commercial breaks have always been a problem since Networks are afraid thats when you will flip the channel and they program to keep you which can get really bad in syndication when they move the breaks around and edit for more commercials which just ruins the flow.

16. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Not quite sure it's always true that streaming shows have lower budgets than the big broadcast networks. Have you seen The Crown?

17. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Well yes there are always anomalies. Some streaming shows are also a joint venture between other parties to split the cost as well.

18. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    They aren't. That's my point. But that's what's restricted for network TV, and with the freedom to make shows without any type of restriction, it means you can cover subjects that you couldn't on network TV. But that doesn't necessarily make it better TV. It makes it more provocative TV for sure. That doesn't necessarily make it better. And it's much harder to write something more adult without using any of those three. Someone who can do that and make effective drama maybe actually be a more talented writer than someone who can do or say anything they want. I remember when Seinfeld did "The Contest" how they were lauded for never saying the word masturbation yet we ALL knew what they were talking about. Write that same episode for Netflix, and they'd probably actually show genitalia, use every curse word under the sun to describe said genitalia and it probably wouldn't be nearly as funny, certainly not as clever. There were lots of examples of that in that series.

There are too many people who think you have to have the ability to curse, or show nudity or have excessive violence in order to show how "real" it is. I say hogwash.

tim1724 and allan like this.
  19. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I see plenty of network shows filmed in cheaper locations. Money is money and production teams look to save it.

This is true, but I do see this trend starting to come to streaming too. If people weren't watching these reality shows, nobody would show them, but they do and they are popular.
    There's truth to this, but don't forget, streamers like Hulu also have commercials, and more and more of these streamers have commercials, unless you want to pay extra to NOT have them.

20. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I think it's about being more adult oriented?