Do you reboot periodically?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by lmacmil, Apr 15, 2020.

1. lmacmil

lmacmil Member

Oct 26, 2015

Advertisements

I have a Tivo OTA that I control with a Harmony remote. It seems like every couple of months, the Harmony will lose some of its Tivo functions. E.g., the Tivo won't turn off and I'll have to press the Harmony help button which will ask if the Tivo is still on and then attempt to turn it off (this works sometimes and sometimes not.)

The last time this happened, it occurred to me that maybe the Tivo was the issue and not the Harmony remote. I rebooted the Tivo and sure enough, the Harmony began communicating with the Tivo again. Next time, I'll know to do this first.

Which brings me to the question, does the Roamio need to be or should it be rebooted periodically?

2. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I never reboot any of my TiVos unless they lock up. They are on UPSes so they don’t reboot during brief power outages. I’ve run some for over a year without rebooting.

Dan Cour, Teeps and Mikeguy like this.
  3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Probably not. But. All my stuff is on a UPS. On the last day of the month I power everything off. I mean everything. Then I power the equipment up starting at the modem, then routers, then wireless bridges, then the TiVo units. On the first of the month I clean or replace all the filters. I'm old and the pattern helps me keep busy. While the stuff is powered off I clean under things too.

4. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    No, my Roamio Plus running TE3 does it for me. 3 random reboots in the last couple of weeks (none before that for a couple of months).

You get used to it.

5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA

Advertisements

No don't reboot here either with any of our TiVo's (Roamio Pro, TE3 or the earlier 2 S3 OLED's').

Scott

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I’ve had three different TiVo models, and each of them would occasionally spontaneously reboot itself. My understanding is the TiVo software detects some error conditions for which the only remedy it knows is to reboot itself.

CopRock likes this.
  7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I've never heard that before--cool.

8. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Yeah in programmer terms it's called a watchdog reset, as in there's a task (usually in the kernel or firmware) that checks for a hung condition and then triggers a reboot.

9. jonw747

jonw747 Active Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Typically does it to me when I'm using the UI. and just seems to get stuck on an operation, and reboots.

But some periodic reboots, might help avoid some of the unscheduled ones.

10. disturbedfred

disturbedfred atmuscarelli Dooshbaggins

Oct 2, 2004
    Venice, FL
    Nope.

11. Finney

Finney New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    I have to... but not on a schedule. TiVo loses connection to the TiVo service and I have to reboot for it to connect again. Going to setup and trying to get it connected that way never works.