Do you have to be mad to expose tivo to the internet?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by laurence@key2.co, Apr 19, 2008.

1. laurence@key2.co

laurence@key2.co Loz

Jun 17, 2007
    Croydon

Advertisements

I'd like to be able to access tivoweb over the internet but I don't have a PC I can leave on in the house. So I'd like to set up port forwarding on my router to a non-standard port on tivo.
    I know the simple answer is yes, you have to be mad - but with a non-standard port, a long complex username and password is it relatively safe?
    Has anyone had any bad experiences? Or, has anyone done this successfully?
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

2. TCM2007

TCM2007 Active Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Operated that way for years, as have many others on here. No recorded problems.

3. 6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    UK
    I also have.

People would have to know the IP, the port forwarding number you used, and your tivoweb password and username.

4. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Yep. Same here. No problems at all.

5. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...

Advertisements

Three years of Tivo on the web here with a longish hard to guess user name and password and no problems. Directly attached to my router with a long cable.

I also made my port for Tivo 443 (which is generally used by https traffic but also supports http used by Tivoweb) and my httpd access log for the Tivo then showed far less occasional hits from other IP addresses on 443 than if it was on port 80.

You can also make it easy to remember how to access your Tivo when you are away (IP numbers are damned hard to remember) by setting up a forwarding domain for your IP address at www.dyndns.com They can also handle dynamic IP addresses if you are unfortunate enough to be with one of the rubbish ISPs like TalkTalk or Tiscali that doesn't give you a static IP address. All that is needed is for your router to have dyndns support (most more recent ones do have this).

6. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    Personally, I wouldn't use a port number below 1,000, and always use one above 10,000. Most port scanners would give up above 1000, since they are far more likely to find another machine to attack successfully than uncover (say) a 5-digit port number on yours.

7. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    The problem with that strategy is that many internet cafes and other such places, not to mention office networks, block access through all but the standard ports (80, 8080, 443 etc) so you are then unable to access Tivoweb in many different places if you are travelling.

I went for the best compromise that meant I could still access Tivoweb almost anywhere but have more security than with Port 80.

And yes of course I realise that entering any username and password in an internet cafe is a very risky strategy but its a risk I'm more prepared to take with Tivoweb (very unlikely to be hacked in any case as a little known application of little interest to web fraudsters) than with my online bank account!

8. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    You can get a hacked Tivo to do this, a poster called ciper helped me to do it for mine and it works very well with dynamic IP addresses. You'd need to look in the other place for the step by step installation.

9. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Why bother though when any decent ISP worth actually being with and offering decent download speeds at all times with no throttling always offers a static IP address free of charge. eg:-

www.adsl24.co.uk

See www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php for decent vs rubbish ISPs.

10. TCM2007

TCM2007 Active Member

Dec 25, 2006
    If you've got a static IP, doesn't it come with a name too? A decent ISP ( ;) ) like PlusNet certainly does this, resolving your IP from [username].plus.com

11. laurence@key2.co

laurence@key2.co Loz

Jun 17, 2007
    Croydon
    Thanks loads for all the advice. Can't wait to start setting recordings when I'm bored at work!

12. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Then what happens if you ever leave Plusnet? Answer you are stuffed.

I prefer to keep my email and domain names separate from my ISP so I can move ISP whenever I want.

13. dvdfever

dvdfever Member

Jun 2, 2002
    My town
    Why, does it get up to mischief while you're out? I leave mine on while I'm out as that's the best time to download stuff (as well as when I'm asleep) rather than when I'm trying to use it.

14. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Doesn't do very much for your electricity bill though. Also laptops have a nasty habit of frying themselves if left on 24/7.

15. dvdfever

dvdfever Member

Jun 2, 2002
    My town
    I don't leave my laptop on, but my 2 main PCs are, since it's just easier (in the case of the 2nd one as I don't use it as much). As for electricity bill, my bedside clock's always plugged in, as is my VCRs, TiVo, Freeview and Sky boxes, fridge/freezer, boiler, so in the grand scheme of things it's not a problem.

16. laurence@key2.co

laurence@key2.co Loz

Jun 17, 2007
    Croydon
    No - I fried my motherboard so I've just got a laptop that I take to work. My PC was v noisy anyway so I wouldn't have wanted to leave it on.

17. TCM2007

TCM2007 Active Member

Dec 25, 2006
    If by "stuffed" you mean "remember your new address" then I guess so. I can sleep at night with that risk looming over my I think.

18. dvdfever

dvdfever Member

Jun 2, 2002
    My town
    The latter is most likely down to the PSU and/or the CPU fan, so replacing both of them would be fairly cheap. Then again, I like mine on all the time as I also use them all the time while I'm in, and I rely on it as often as I rely on my TiVo :)

19. itm

itm New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    London, UK
    I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious here...I've just set up my tivoweb config file as below. I can access it on port 8080 from the LAN but not from the internet. I have port forwarding enabled on my internet router for port 8080 to the Tivo, and have no problems with other port forwards from the internet (e.g. to my IP camera, router admin console, etc). I have even tried using a "known" forwarded port on the router for the Tivo, and this doesn't work either - i.e. switching it from the IP camera to the Tivo temporarily. It'll forward to the IP camera, but not to the Tivo.

???

UserName =
    Password =
    Port = 8080
    Prefix =
    Theme =
    DescriptionHover = 1
    MultiDelete = 1

20. TCM2007

TCM2007 Active Member

Dec 25, 2006
    You restarted TW after changing the file?