Do you have copy protection issues?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by aadam101, Jul 23, 2011.

Do you have copy protection on your Tivo?

1. Yes, for every program

12 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. Yes, for some programs.

29 vote(s)
    34.1%
  3. No

44 vote(s)
    51.8%
  1. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Since Tivo introduced streaming I have heard a lot of people talking about copy protection on Tivo. I have had Tivo with Comcast and Verizon and have never seen a copy protected show. The only thing on my Tivo that is copy protected is Amazon content (which doesn't make sense to me since I can still force download it to another Tivo from Amazon.com).

How many people have copy protection issues?

2. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    There are a lot of threads on this. TWC sets CCI to 1 for all but the OTA channels, and I believe this is in all their areas. I've suggested streaming to TiVo for three years. I'm glad to see that they are working on it, but it locks the receiving box after 20 minutes.

3. P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Voted no, but then I am purely OTA :) for content Tivo is downloading from the 'net there is copy protection.

4. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    What is the benefit of TWC doing this? I don't see what they get out of it other than some unhappy customers?

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    1). They get to "disable" one of TiVo's main selling points without doing anything illegal.

2). People who insist on being able to watch a show in multiple rooms have to use TWC DVRs, which brings in more revenue.

6. eddieb187

eddieb187 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Hudson...
    I have Time Warner Cable in upstate NY. Many channels are Copy Protected.
    The Network HD channels like CBS, NBC, ABC... and a few of the HD cable channels are not Copy Protected. But just about everything else is. You can forget about transferring anything from any premium channels as well as Comedy Central.
    Streaming would be a big plus for TWC customers.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I don't have issues since I'm on FiOS, but Comcast in my area copy protects at least half the content they broadcast.

8. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Why does something tell me that once Tivo officially activates streaming, Time Warner will find another loop hole to keep us from using MRV?

9. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes Cox AZ has CopyOnce protection on most every digital channel expect locals and WGN and Lifetime. And most every Cox market does, except Orange Co CA according to posts I have seen.

I ordered 2 Premieres on Thursday night hoping streaming was here to stay. Only to see postings that it was removed Friday morning. I don't blame TiVo, as they never advertised this feature. But I do expect it to return. Streaming capability is probably one issue that has delayed the launch of Cox promoting the TiVo as an optional official multi-room solution, as per the Cox/TiVo w/ VOD agreement on Aug 12, 2010.

The TiVos will remain boxed for a few months to see if streaming returns. If it does not. Then I will most likely never activate the TiVos and resell or give them away.

10. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    For those who have little or no restrictions placed by their cable company, this is what trying to transfer a show from a Tivo Premiere looks like when an a**hole company like Brighthouse decides to enable to copy restriction on almost every single channel you have except local OTA. It is actually twice as worse from my other Premiere because there are twice the recordings. This is just a video scrolling down a list of mostly protected programs.

http://youtu.be/itNaf9uXTCw

11. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I voted "No" since I'm on Fios, but actually there are some: the downloaded podcasts. Which is annoying and stupid, since approximately 100% of them are licensed creative commons, redistribute freely. Yet the TiVo falsely claims they can't be transferred "due to policy set by the copyright holder". (I know, this isn't new, but it still pisses me off.)

12. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    When I moved here, TWC tried every trick to get me to use their DVR, as that earns more than the card fees.

TWC here in Ohio has a thing against TiVo. I've been told that I couldn't have cablecards, that TiVo didn't work on their system, etc. When the Premiere came out, it took TiVo intervention to get M-cards, as TWC "didn't have any".

TWC told me that I have the only TiVos in the Dayton metro area, because they just aren't popular.

Of course, if TiVo keeps losing innovation ground, that may become a reality.

13. Cspot

Cspot Member

May 25, 2001
    SW Ohio...
    Hilarious, I'm also the only person in the area :)

14. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    I have cox in ri, and not one channel has copy protection set.

15. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    I'm just wondering, for those without any copy protection set, does that included the HD channels? Do you have caps on your data downloads? Anyone with both data caps and lots of programs that are restricted?

16. LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    no, I have no copy protection on any hd channels what so ever. Everything is 0x00.

As for data caps, I'm going to say no. My plan says 200 gb a month according to cox.net, and the faq tell me how to view the band width meter on cox.net. but the band width meter does not exist for my service, that whole section is MIA under the tools section of my account. If I click a link I have seen posted in forums to the band width meter page it doesn't work with my account.

So that being said, I'm going to say the caps are not in place in my area and I'm pretty sure I have gone over the cap watching whole show seasons in hd on hulu+

Another Odd thing about my cox service is there has not once have I seen the emergency alert system.

I can be watching tv, and severe thunder storm warnings or once a tornado warning came out. My iphone weather channel app is alerting me like crazy, but not once was I interrupted by the emergency alert system while watching tv on my tivo. Never seen any tests wither. Wonder why, does cox just not have EAS in this area?

17. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    You're lucky not to have any copy restrictions. Imagine your screen looking like mine in the video I posted above? I don't have data caps but 200GB is way to little for me. I do lots of photography, videography, and other stuff where I could easily hit 50GB in one day. I guess its the less of two evils in my case but I wonder how many people get hit with both caps and copy restrictions? I wonder why it is so important for these companies to go out of their way to make something so simple such a pain for so many people?

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    They do it so they can make more money. By making it difficult it makes it more likely the person will get a cable box from them. And by having a cap it also makes it more likely that consumer will get videos from the cable company too, since those won't count against their cap.

19. LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    this cap is like a god send for me. At my old house, cable television did not exists, used my premiere OTA only. with out cable, dsl or any other form of high speed internet available the only option was hughes net satellite service. They had a limit of 200mb per day and once you hit it your service was turned off for 24. It was a hard cap.

I don't think cox's cap is in place in my area yet though. As the band width meter they offer isn't available for my area

20. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Charter doesn't protect anything. I can even copy HD movies from HBO, Starz, etc...

Dan