Do you have any Dolby Digital related audio issues? *Please Respond*

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by SHOMan, Aug 4, 2005.

Do you have any Dolby Digital problems with HR-10 hooked up to audio gear?

1. I am experiencing the Static-pop issue and/or loss of signal

41 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. I am experiencing other types of Dolby Digital problems

14 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. I don't have Dolby Digital recording and playback enabled, so I am not sure if I have any problems

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  4. I have Dolby Digital recording and playback enabled and everything works fine

77 vote(s)
    57.9%
  5. I only playback sound via analog audio cables due to these issues

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. I have disabled Dolby Digital recording and playback due to these issues

9 vote(s)
    6.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aug 4, 2005 #1 of 32
    SHOMan

SHOMan New Member

Jun 2, 2005
    Many of you have seen the ongoing thread about static pops and loss of signal on the Denon 3802 thread.

As the problem is not confined to that receiver, and I want to get some better numbers and feedback related to this issue, I am posting this poll. Please post the brand and model number of your audio gear that is experiencing the problem.

Static like popping noises followed by loss of signal is the main type of problem, but I am interested in any Dolby Digital related issues you may be having. These problems are most likely to happen when starting playback of programs that have Dolby Digital soundtracks. The problem also manifests itself when switching between 5.1 DD material and 2.0 DD material or when pausing and restarting playback.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR HELPING QUANTIFY THIS ISSUE...As I now have been told by a D* advance tech rep that he and his manager have been "kept in the dark" since they offered up solid evidence of this issue (nearly two months ago), I will be taking the issue up with the executive offices. We at least deserve acknowledgement and an honest answer instead of silence on the matter.

IF YOU ARE NOT USING AUDIO GEAR TO PLAYBACK SOUND WITH YOUR HR-10, THERE IS NO NEED TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS POLL.

2. Aug 4, 2005 #2 of 32
    ChrisW6ATV

ChrisW6ATV New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Hayward,...
    I have never had even one glitch related to Dolby or other audio from my HD Tivo(s) in over a year of use. I have the HR10-250 connected through an MCM Electronics optical-audio switch to a Sony SDP-E800 DD processor.

3. Aug 4, 2005 #3 of 32
    SHOMan

SHOMan New Member

Jun 2, 2005
    It has been reported by others using switching devices that they are not experiencing the problem. Most theories about why the problem exists relate to timeing, and these switches may introduce just enough delay to eliminate the issue.

Heck, it might be worth trying one on my system to see if it corrects the problem. $119 vs fighting D* might be a smart move.

I am using a Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX. It is worthy of note that the R-10 receiver has no problem with the same gear.

4. Aug 4, 2005 #4 of 32
    Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    My connection is via optical cable to a Pioneer VSX-D710-S A/V Receiver.

No problems whatsoever.

When I had a GXCEBOT (Series I SD-DTiVo) connected to this receiver, I would occasionally hear some "funny noises" when switching to, or away from, program sources with DD soundtracks. However, these occasional "glitches" were just that, nothing really major, and always happened only for an instant when switching to or from a channel sending DD or to or from a recording with DD.

With the HR10-250, it's been perfect. No glitches, static, "funny noises" or any other issues whatsoever.

5. Aug 4, 2005 #5 of 32
    Lee Bombard

Lee Bombard New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    North...
    ChrisW6ATV -

What model number switcher do you have?

6. Aug 4, 2005 #6 of 32
    DubC

DubC New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    This may or may not be related, but:

I used to have a problem similar to this. It ended up being my multiswitch. It would only happen when I changed from some particular channels to others. Something about what frequency each channel was broadcast on and how the multiswitch changed between the seperate frequencies. :confused:

7. Aug 4, 2005 #7 of 32
    DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    No problems here... Using a Sony receiver and an optical cable. (In use over 1 year) I have had issues with other equipment, but the HD Tivo so far has been flawless.

8. Aug 4, 2005 #8 of 32
    eroseme

eroseme New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Loomis, CA
    I was an early poster about this. Pioneer VSX49TXi. Typical behavior: start a program on HD and the high-pitched static blast shreds my 7.1 system and the audio turns off, to be restored by switching to another input then back to HR10-250. Call D* level 2 support twice and was given the typical response (never heard of it - even though it was supposedly written in my record).

9. Aug 4, 2005 #9 of 32
    JTAnderson

JTAnderson Active Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Redondo...
    I had a problem with a Denon AVR-5600 where I would often get some static when I switched to the HR10-250. If I switched the Denon from digital to analog and back, the static would go away, although it would often take two or three tries. Once it went away, it would stay away until I switched inputs again. This happened with both DD and PCM audio.

Having replaced the AVR-5600 with a Pioneer VSX-59TXi, I have no problems with the HR10-250 digital audio.

10. SHOMan

SHOMan New Member

Jun 2, 2005
    Thanks for the responses thus far! It will be interesting to see if the ~30 percent holds. It seems that Pioneer has made some change in the Txi series that changes the behavior relative to the TX series.

11. georgemoe

georgemoe TiVo Army Grunt

Nov 7, 2001
    Central...
    Optical to an Onkyo HT-520R. No problems.

12. mulscully

mulscully Member

May 31, 2003
    Malvern, Pa
    optical to an RCA surround sound system... No problem....

13. dhale

dhale Guest

Jul 21, 2004
    Optical to a Yamaha DSP-A1. No problems.

14. Philbert1

Philbert1 New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Optical to Pio Elite 49TX (precursor to the TXi). Exact same problems as Eroseme above:( Have had the problem since day 1 (purchased the HDTivo back in mid '04).

Recently, a few of my non-HD recordings have killed the audio as well (without the static pop). Has happened twice in the last two weeks. Hope this is just a fluke, and that my $1000 HDTivo hasn't killed my $3500 receiver...

- phil

15. Budget_HT

Budget_HT Heavy User (of TiVo)

Jan 2, 2001
    Renton, WA
    I have owned my HD TiVo for 16 months, connected optically to my Kenwood A/V receiver.

I had one short period of time when I experienced random audio dropouts, affecting all channels and recordings. I switched to analog audio (which beforehand was not even hooked up) and everything worked fine. Went back to optical and heard the same problems.

Then I discovered that the optical cable connector was not fully seated in the receptacle on the HD TiVo. I re-seated the connector and that ended my audio problems. Since it worked flawlessly for many months before the dropouts, I suspect that I may have jarred the cable loose when making or changing other connections nearby.

16. Lee Bombard

Lee Bombard New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    North...
    I have a spendy Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX receiver and it does not play nice at all with the HD-Tivo. I simply can't use the DD playback for fear of damage to either my amp or speakers.

I am considering trading the amp (it's a few years old now) for a new Elite model VSX-56TXi. Has anyone found this receiver to be compatible with the HD-Tivo?

17. jlesterca

jlesterca New Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Northern...
    Marantz SR880mkll

Pops like crazy, always has. I have it disconnected. I am going to try some grounding changes and see if it helps. $1,000 rec and a $1,000 amp and I can even listen to them...........

18. fertree

fertree New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    North America
    My stutter dropped by 99% when I turned of DD. Now I get an occasional double word, but that's it.

19. ethan

ethan Lurker

May 9, 2002
    optical to Denon AVR-3805. no problems

20. dcpoppy

dcpoppy New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Littleton, CO
    Ditto