Do you experience missed Remote Clicks?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by NullQwerty, Jan 20, 2009.

1. NullQwerty

NullQwerty New Member

Jan 20, 2009

Advertisements

Hey folks,

Question...for those of you that have a fairly new LCD and the TivoHD...Do you experience missed remote clicks with your TivoHD? (i.e. 10-20% of the time when you click a button on the remote it isn't registered with the unit, so you have to hit it again).

I ask because I'm coming from Verizon FIOS and with their HD DVR Set Top Box, I experience it all the time (as do other FIOS users with new TV's). It happens due to the IR interference of my LCD TV. I'm thinking about switching to TivoHD for that reason, but only if it solves this problem.

Thanks for the assistance!

2. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    Yes. Even stranger it often acknowledges then discards clicks - for example I frequently click "Delete now" in the Program menu and see the checkmark appear next to the menu item. Then in a second the checkmark goes away and the delete is ignored.

3. Sapphire

Sapphire Xtal substance

Sep 9, 2002
    USA
    I have the opposite problem. My harmony 890 gives TiVo too many clicks.

4. jotsbox

jotsbox New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I have only seen that with deletions. I can hear the TiVo acknowledges the command with a sound "ding!", but have to press the button again to really delete the show. This also happens on my Harmony One (programed for TiVo). Must be a bug.

5. lofar

lofar New Member

Mar 21, 2008

Advertisements

So that's the problem i've been having?? It seemed to only start after I got a Glo-Remote, i never had the problem with the standard remote. I wonder if the transmitter on the glo is weaker or something.

6. NullQwerty

NullQwerty New Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Hmmm...the problems that jotsbox and RoyK are experiencing almost sound more like software bugs, than IR remote interference issues.

Raj could be IR issues. I've never heard of it causing symptoms like that, but I don't know enough about IR to rule it out.

lofar, remotes do have different strengths. The Harmony 880 for example is stronger than the one that came with my DVR.

Does anyone though, experience it where your remote click is just not registered at all (other than lofar who is using a different remote)? That's the most common symptom of IR interference I've seen and heard about, so that's what I'd like to know.

7. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Be sure to see my tip for Harmony remotes right here (#13).

Motorola DVRs are not nearly as responsive to remote clicks as the TiVos. There's more lag. On Motorola DVR, it is common for the box to periodically stop responding to commands for a very short while, queuing up several commands. None of this has anything to do with IR interference. The TiVo does not suffer from those issues.

If IR interference is actually your problem, you can eliminate it using a RF receiver like the Next Generation Remote Control Extender. Just be sure to use to place the "eye" over the IR sensor on the box, and then cover it with black electrical tape to prevent other IR sources from hitting the STB/DVR's sensor.

8. trussrules

trussrules New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    I've had this happen since the 11 update. Missed clicks with deletion and some times when fast forwarding. The TiVo dings like it got the command, but nothing happens.

9. NullQwerty

NullQwerty New Member

Jan 20, 2009
    I'd love to, but I have the Harmony 880 remote which has a custom battery pack, so it can't use that unit. I could get the 890 which is RF, but my 880 is only 3 weeks old and can't be returned because of Circuit City going out of business. So I think I'd be better off putting the money into a Tivo rather than the 890.

I could try other RF repeaters, but those work by accepting my IR input, which because of the interference could be garbled.

It is definitely interference though, because if I turn the tv off, it works 100% of the time, but with it on, 1 out of every 4 clicks is missed (there's a remote receiver light that flashes on the DVR when it receives an IR command).

10. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    yes, I noticed the missed command before 11 (especially on "delete now" after playing but timed out back to info screen.
    It seems more prevalent on certain menus after 11.

11. jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    Here is a quick and easy test that will tell you if it is being caused by interference or not.

Take some regular masking tape and place it over the IR area on the TiVo. Use a large piece to ensure there is no leakage making it around the tape. Continue adding layers until you notice the problem go away.

This will filter out any stray interference caused by your LCD/Plasma and will allow the IR remote signals through.

I use this trick with my multi-room IR distribution system because of this problem and it works flawlessly. If this ends up solving your problem, you could color the tape black so you don't notice it as much. I used a sharpie, but I only needed a 1/8" hole for my receiver in my wall. You could also remove the TiVo cover and place the tape directly over the IR sensor on the TiVo, although that would require you invalidate your Warranty and only recommened if you are technical.

Good luck!

12. NullQwerty

NullQwerty New Member

Jan 20, 2009

Or even easier, here's what I did to be certain it was interference and that it was coming from the TV (the most likely source). The FIOS box, has a light on it that flashes every time it receives a valid IR signal from your remote. Normally it only lights 3 out of every 4 remote clicks or so. Very consistent that at least 1 out of 4 or 5 clicks are missed. Then, I just turned off the tv and ran the same test. 100% of all clicks were then received.

It's a combination of IR and RF emitted from the TV that messes it up.

13. rrwcm

rrwcm New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    I have this problem on 1 Tivo Series 3 unit and 3 TivoHD units. The series 3 is connected to an older SONY CRT HD TV and the other Tivos are connected to LCD HD TV's. Gotta be a bug in Tivo's software.

14. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    The bug is in software 11. I didn't have this issue before. Some of the time I even get the sound of the click but no action takes place.

Very annoying.

15. berkshires

berkshires Member

Feb 22, 2007
    I get double presses on some remotes, missed presses on others. None of my problems occur in my room with LCD TV, but with the remotes in the rooms with CRTs.

I think it is just the remotes being defective/worn out in my case.

16. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    I think there's an issue with 11. I had an LCD rear projection tv that i used with the S3 for FOUR years and never had an issue. Now with 11 there's times when the light on the tivo doesn't acknowledge the button press on the remote- like it's just not getting it. It can last several seconds and then all of a sudden it works fine.

I have a directv view LCD in another room with another S3 and it never had an issue directly if the tivo was in the same room, but various remote extenders tried did get fouled up by the lcd's backlight. interestingly one of them i found that if i jacked up the backlight that it would work as after a certain amount of interference it would kick in it's "plasma proof" filter.

17. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I agree that is a software bug. Nothing has changed about my setup. This started moderately recently.