Do you delete "Tivo Suggestions"?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Stuxnet, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011

Advertisements

I recently activated "Tivo Suggestions"... and since it's just learning my viewing habits the results are mixed. I was curious how others interact with this feature...

Do you vote on each "suggested" program, or do you simply vote on those you watch?

Do you bother to delete the shows in the "Tivo Suggestions" folder, knowing that they will be deleted automatically when hard drive space is required by WLs, SPs, or manual recordings...

...just curious

2. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    I just delete suggestions that I know are HD so that there is more space left for other potential suggestions to record, whether they be SD or HD. I don't think (but don't know for sure) if my Series 3 can manage suggestions based on them being SD or HD, so I basically force that to happen. I did upgrade to a 1TB drive, but still want as much space available for possible suggestions to record.

3. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    In the 10+ years I've owned Tivos I've never turned on Tivo suggestions, except by accident. I found it to be more of an annoyance than a help. I already have more season passes and movies than I'll ever have time to watch so I never saw the point. If you really need your Tivo to pick programs for you then you might want to check out forums that discuss TV shows to see what others with the same tastes are watching.

4. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    I turned suggestions off.

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish

Advertisements

I love my suggestions, and I'll go through and thumbs up and thumbs down a batch every now and then to teach it what I want.

Thanks to that behavior over time on average 50% of the items in my suggestions are things I would consider watching at some point in time.

6. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    I use suggestions and find it a great feature. It's found many (new to me) movies that I like. I tend to 'prune' (and thumb down) suggestions I know I'll never watch. Otherwise I leave it alone and let it do it's thing...

7. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    It's the first thing I turn off.

8. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    no, I don't delete them. As the drive fills up they will be the first thing to be over written anyways.

My suggestions folder is almost empty though since my premiere is full. Need to buy a new expander drive. My old one died:(

9. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I let my Tivo record 20 -30 suggestions and then turn them off.
    The reason for this is to have a "buffer" of shows that I don't really care about.
    I keep an eye on my RD folder and if it reaches (0), I can then decide if I need to start moving shows I definitely want to watch to my computer for safe keeping. Having that buffer of suggestions gives me time to do that if I need to.
    I like enough shows that I usually have more than I can watch anyways, so I don't think I'd ever get around to watching a suggestion.
    I do occasionally visit the suggestions list to see what Tivo comes up with and rate shows manually at that time.

10. czazzara

czazzara New Member

Jan 29, 2011
    Central New...
    I turned it off as soon as I saw what it was going to do... namely fill my drive and database with things I could sort out for myself. I'm just an OTA users and it just didn't work for me.

CZ

11. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    I turn my suggestions off - I don't see why I would ever want them. I tried turning them on and I started getting local news and mid-season episodes of serialized programs that I would NEVER watch even though I have a season pass to the series - because I like to watch them in serial order and suggestions just cant solve that problem. I found myself thumbs-downling everything just to prevent them from being recorded. I don't think the designers ever intended for it to be as much work as I found it becoming, so I just turned if back off.

I never understood why suggestions would EVER record the news. In my mind, suggestions are suposed to be "background" recordings that you could watch when you had nothing in your primary NPL. Why would I ever want to watch a news program that aired 2 or 3 (or more) weeks ago. It just made no sense.

I know it works for some, but me and suggestions just never connected.

12. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have them turned off, because some interaction between the TiVo, tuning adapter, and SDV means that suggestions are almost completely non-functional anyway.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Ditto. I spend almost no time pruning my suggestions (maybe once every few days or weeks, if not months) but I sometimes delete really obvious shows that I KNOW I don't like or that are reruns of shows or movies I've seen that I don't need. At least that makes way for some other potentially good suggestions.
    Most news suggestions I ignore too, but there have been a small % of cases, where it was good that suggestions picked up a particular ep of news. I have many SPs for local and national news but don't/can't record them all due to some guide data wonkiness and an insufficient # of tuners.

14. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    That's 50% less than what's in my now playing list. Whatever floats your boat I guess. :confused:

15. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    It could be Season Passes to news type programs like 20/20 or Dateline influencing the Suggestions.

16. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Apples and oranges.
    My Now Playing list is items I have explicitly asked for in one way or another, Suggestions are gems that I didn't know where there.

17. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    I don't use suggestions. I've tried them a couple of times over the years and they never recorded anything that I was interested in or that I didn't already watch at some point.

18. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I leave suggestions on, and don't delete them. I may go through them to pick something to watch right away or keep until later.

19. belunos

belunos New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    I really only ever delete HD movies out of there to get more suggestions. I love suggestions though, it's turned me on to tons of stuff I wouldn't have searched for on my own. I also use it to keep a few episodes of stuff I don't want to have a season pass for, but would like to keep some handy, like The Simpsons

20. Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    Once every week or two I go through my suggestions. I give a thumbs down to anything I know for sure I don't like, and I look for movies that it may have recorded that I don't know anything about. It rarely (never?) finds TV series that I don't already know about, but it often finds interesting movies that I never heard of.

I never give a thumbs up to anything in suggestions, because I remember long ago reading something here on the boards that said the best way to "teach" it was to give one thumbs down to anything you don't like and let the rest go. At least I believe that's what I read, and it seems to work well.