Do you delete SP's when over or keep them for next season?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rkkeller, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Jan 3, 2011 #1 of 41
    Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004

Advertisements

I have been debating keeping "no show" SP's or deleting them and remaking them if the show comes back next season.

I am only thinking about this as my SP list grew to over 100 SP's and after review it looks like I had over 20 dead SP's in my list from cancelled or shows that had run their course.

How do others handle this?

2. Jan 3, 2011 #2 of 41
    rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    If they're canceled or have run their course...axe them. Otherwise I keep them.

3. Jan 3, 2011 #3 of 41
    dilbert27

dilbert27 New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    I Keep them unless the show has been cancelled.

4. Jan 3, 2011 #4 of 41
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Same here.

I delete the SP the show is canceled or has ended (example: Lost).

If it's just on break I keep it so I don't need to worry about re-adding it when it starts up again.

5. Jan 3, 2011 #5 of 41
    Wilhite

Wilhite ...no stinkin' title

Oct 26, 2003

Advertisements

With the 50(?) series link limit on the D* boxes, you have to clean up occasionally or you'll run into that limit.

6. Jan 3, 2011 #6 of 41
    Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I purge all canceled/ended/not returning shows a couple times a year. Why would anyone delete their SPs for renewed shows at the end of each season? Seems like way too much work.

7. Jan 3, 2011 #7 of 41
    Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I delete shows that have been cancelled. Even then, sometimes the networks will burn off remaining episodes at odd times so I keep them around until the next season starts.

Otherwise I just leave stuff on there... Agree with Neenaboy that it's too much work to delete a SP then recreate it the next fall or spring or whenever. That just defeats the whole purpose of having a DVR, IMO.

8. Jan 3, 2011 #8 of 41
    Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    On a bit of a tangent, I'm annoyed when shows like the Amazing Race or Survivor change the name of the show for each season so you end up having to delete and create a new season pass for each one. (Yes I know there is a way using keywords to get around it, but it doesn't make it less annoying.)

9. Jan 3, 2011 #9 of 41
    Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    That is annoying.

10. SoBelle0

SoBelle0 Go Big Blue!!

Jun 25, 2002
    Decatur, GA
    2. I can't believe there is still no web-based utility for organizing Season Passes. When do we think TiVo will provide such for it's users?

ETA - deleted my original when adding the above...

1. I try to go in and clean out items that have been canceled, but it's really such a time consuming endeavor that I find myself with many 'dead' items as I can't get to them all when I do try and make the time.

Hence my note above...

11. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Just create a Wishlist instead of a Season Pass. I use it for Amazing Race, Top Chef, The Simpsons, Daily Show, etc...

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/tipsandtricks/tips-tricks-pg2.html

12. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    There are several downsides to this, one being that Wishlists are NOT channel-specific and there's a good chance that if you have SD and HD versions of a channel in your lineup that you'll be recording the SD version because of the way cable companies typically number the channels.

Some HD programs are not labeled HD so you can't work around the wishlist that way. You could delete the SD channel from your lineup but then you can't save space by recording in SD for stuff you don't care about having quality for.

13. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    This

14. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Exactly.

Keep 'em...

15. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    There is one now.

I keep them there. Part of the reason I use Season Passes is so I don't have to pay attention to when shows that have been on hiatus come back. Though I usually pay attention to that anyway, I don't want to miss anything.

When the show has been canceled, I delete the SP. But sometimes not right away even for those. It's when I get around to it. Usually at the start of each TV season.

16. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I keep them too - this is especially helpful with some cable shows like the USA network. I would have had no idea they were airing new episodes of The Closer and Burn Notice in December if TiVo hadn't recorded them.

17. mmilton80

mmilton80 Custom User Title

Jul 28, 2005
    Massachusetts
    I keep them and reminisce occasionally. Remember The OC? or Journeyman? and will they ever play those two remaining episodes of Better Off Ted (by keeping my season pass, I may! But probably not)

18. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  19. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Does that mean tivo.com retrieves your season pass list on the fly every time, or do they keep a copy?

Because if your hard drive bites the dust, it sure would be handy to have a current SP list that you could import after getting the tivo back on on a clean image.

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Of course I keep them, except for shows that have been cancelled/ended AND HAVE AIRED ALL OF THE EPISODES.

If a show was yanked without airing all of the episodes, (as I have said before) I will often move those SPs near the TOP of my SP list, so that any "dump them in some random timeslot" airings are caught.