Do Tivo HDs allow watching AVIs from a TivoServer?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by uwmbjn, Oct 17, 2007.

1. uwmbjn

uwmbjn New Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Does the Tivo HD have the same capability to transfer content such as AVIs from a windows PC running tivoserver? I currently do this with my series 2, but i am thinking about purchasing a HD if it has these capabilities.

Thanks!! If this has already been covered sorry, I searched about 6 pages deep.

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Tivo has said that feature (unofficially known as TTCB) will be enabled in November on the TivoHD and S3.

3. ncbagwell

ncbagwell New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Cary, NC
    If it is going to be like the feature that is available on the Series 2, I believe the file format has to be MPEG.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    What transfers to the TiVo has to be MPEG2 (at least for now). TiVoDesktop Plus can convert it.

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Not if you use TiVo Desktop Plus (the paid version). It will convert many formats to a compatible mpeg2 format.

6. yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I thought TivoServer only works with hacked Tivos, and the PC server is basically converting the media files and streaming to Tivo. If my understanding is correct, this is probably a question for the Tivo underground forum.

7. uwmbjn

uwmbjn New Member

Aug 31, 2007
    thanks for the information guys. Yes I use the TivoDesktop Plus which will transcode avi files so that they can be transferred to a Tivo Series 2 DVR. It works great with all of my kids movies, and I really hope to buy a HD tivo and be able to do this also.

My mac mini just died which was connected to my tv and I am looking for a better/cheaper option to the mac mini with eyetv. I think the Tivo HD will be it once this capability is enabled.

thanks again.