Do the New AT&T Caps affect you?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Stormspace, May 3, 2011.

What's your data usage

1. 0-25GB

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  2. 26-50GB

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. 50-100GB

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. 100-150GB

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. 151-200GB

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. 250GB+

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. I don't have AT&T

57 vote(s)
    81.4%
  1. May 3, 2011 #1 of 20
    Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    How many members of the TiVo community use AT&T as their broadband provider? Do you stream Netflix or use Amazon on your TiVo and if so, whats your data use per month?

2. May 3, 2011 #2 of 20
    dilbert27

dilbert27 New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Don't really know what my usage is but when AT&T announced the caps I switch away from AT&T.

3. May 3, 2011 #3 of 20
    Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    I checked today and though I use TWC I am at 235 GB for last month. I can account for 1.2GB in Torrents, the rest is just normal stuff(Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, Browsing, Music, Video, and App Purchases, gaming, etc..., oh and of course TiVo guide data.

4. May 3, 2011 #4 of 20
    swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all
    I don't know. I have AT&T but for some reason they can't measure my data use. I'm sure they're working on fixing that. :rolleyes:

5. May 4, 2011 #5 of 20
    magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Yep, those jerks are going to cut into my Netflix viewing time. I use around 150+ per month.

6. May 4, 2011 #6 of 20
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well I have access to one (and only one) wired high speed Internet provider - Frontier. They have a posted cap of 5GB. Yes that is correct 5GB per month. So far they have done nothing to enforce that cap but there was some stuff about it in other parts of the country last year. According to this article they tried charging high overage fees in Minnesota that would have resulted in a monthly bill of $250 for 250 GB of usage.

Data caps are why I kind of laugh when people post they plain on cutting the cord and going to 100% streaming. It only works until the ISP put a stop to it. Given that many ISPs are also pay TV providers I think people can figure out they will fight people who think they are going to stream TBs of data and replace their pay TV service.

Now cutting the cord with a good OTA DVR, some streaming, and redbox and/or Netflix blu-ray disks seems more doable.

Thanks,

7. May 4, 2011 #7 of 20
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Just curious what are the AT&T caps? Comcast is 250GB and we've been running 50-70GB.

Scott

8. May 4, 2011 #8 of 20
    dilbert27

dilbert27 New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    150GB for their dsl only customers and 250GB for their UVerse Customers.

9. May 4, 2011 #9 of 20
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I pity da' fool who has AT&T internet. My TWC cable stinks (for TiVo) but at least their internet is solid -- and no caps (so far).

10. KCcardsfan

KCcardsfan New Member

Feb 20, 2011
    My TWC is very erratic but I have no other choice for high speed. I have the 7MBPS and my speed can vary from below 1MBPS to upwards of 20 MBPS. It seems more often then not it is around 3 MBPS. I an pretty sure I am being intentionally throttled. I am kind of a high user since I watch MLB.TV games most every day as well as netflix and hulu. When I call to complain they do a "refreash" of my modem and the speed goes magically back up to around 7.

11. dstoffa

dstoffa Member

Dec 14, 2005
    New York, NY
    When I was in Australia in 2006, both cell-phone usage and internet usage was "Pay as you go". The more you used, the more you paid. They were quite shocked how cheap internet access was (and still is) here in the States. The US market for cell phones and internet access is typically sold as unlimited for a flat fee vice pay per use. Probably because it comes off as a better deal, and people would be afraid of large bills. I would think that in the beginning, the telecoms made a killing, as people used way less than they were paying for. Now, not so much...

Cheers!
    -Doug

12. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I wouldn't cry too hard. My brother has Wild Blue satellite service, and his cap is a measely 256M!!!

13. MitchW

MitchW New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    I use AT&T but have no idea about my usage. Their meter isn't working yet.

If I could get an OTA internet supplier with high speeds, I'd switch my internet to them and get rid of TV totally and rely on streams with a TiVo.

Can TiVo boxes handle only streamed TV from the internet?

14. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    AT&T has not implemented the meters in our area (houston) yet and thus no cap yet. I have no doubt they will and I will have to adjust or look at carrier options accordingly. At least here there is competition. DSL, Clearwire, Sprint, Comcast etc all offer services at 6Mbit and up.

15. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Data caps are a valid concern but I'm optimistic that in the long run they will have been only temporary speed bumps on the road to a "streaming world". As streaming becomes the dominant consumer demand, the providers will adapt to accomodate it. The internet infrastructure has shown amazing capacity growth already. And the cable TV providers can take the bandwidth they now use for TV and devote it to internet. It may take a few years to get there, and the speed bumps might be bad for a while. But I think that's where we're going. (And it can't happen too soon for me!)

16. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I actually agree that streaming everything on demand is were we are going. Where I differ from most people is I assume by the time it works for the masses it will cost as much or more as cable/satellite TV either by increased costs for Internet Access or through subscriptions for the data being streamed.

We are in a period where people can "cut the cord" by using OTA with a DVR, Internet Streaming and access to physical media through services like Netflix or redbox. Everyone in the media world is trying to figure out how to plug this low cost option because it also avoids advertising. With all the broadcast channels that are out there I am not sure they can any time soon.

Thanks,

17. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    I download more than the average user and I barely come close to 150GB a month. I don't agree with caps, but it seems to be a a reasonable limit. My only other choice is to go back to Charter and that aint happening no matter how high their cap is.

I just checked http://myusage.att.net and apparently it's not working for me yet. It tells me something about having to sign into the primary account (which I was). I don't see how they can cap me until they have a way for me to actually check my data usage.

18. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    It probably will cost as much. That doesn't bother me -- I don't expect to get content of value to me for free. Having a wide choice on demand through a single reliable physical medium are the important features to me. I think expecting to get content almost for free may be a mindset that is popular among the PTP users who are clogging the internet now. :p

Streaming doesn't preclude advertising. There can be ad-supported models as well as completely consumer-pay models. Both exist already.

19. zimmou

zimmou New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Queens, NY
    I'm hoping Google expands their Kansas City fiber network and pressures the other providers into investing more in their infrastructure and offering reasonable value. It's definitely in Google's interest to keep data caps from becoming the standard.

20. grafton

grafton New Member

Nov 28, 2010
    I'm on comcast and they have a 250gb cap and i seem to use ~150 gb a month without trying to chew through my cap.