Do Series recording only save for 24 hours?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rasmasyean, Jul 30, 2011.

1. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I tried some series recordings yesterday and it has a exclamation mark next to it saying it's going to be deleted within 24 hours. I had to manually go in and change each to "keep till delete" or something like that.

Is there a way to change this setting? I can't seem to find the setting. What's the purpose of this default setting?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    When you see the yellow or (!), it just means its eligible to be deleted, but only when the space is needed, after "recently deleted" folder is empty, followed by suggestions. Also, the date for deletion is irrelevent.

3. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Are you sure about that? I just found some of those series programs in the "Recently Deleted" folder you are referring to. I had to go in and manually "Keep until I delete" them all. And it like wants to default to keeping until a certain date again...so I have to scroll up to the "Keep until I delete" selection.

4. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Well, that's the way it should work. How large and how full is your drive?

5. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I just got the TiVo 3 days ago and it says it can store 405 movies.

I had less than 10 hours of content and it "auto-deleted" three 30-minute shows. If I wasn't alarmed by the yellow exclamation indicating a "within 24 hour deletion", I might not have checked the "Recently Deleted Folder", where I found those three.

What does "Recent" mean anyway? Is there a permanent purge for those that aren't "recent" anymore?

6. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Here's a screenshot.

[​IMG]

7. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    OK, I think I found the solution.

Under "Find Shows" -> "Season Pass Manager" -> the series name, it was set to keep only 5 shows.

What a strange place to put that menu item.

8. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    I doubt it will store 405 HD movies, and probably not even that many SD movies (If you have the cheaper model). If you're running the HDUI, at the top of your play list, it will show how much of the hard drive is taken up. You can also go into System Information and it will show you (About) how many hours you have free. Also, if you're in the info of a recorded program, hit the info button, and it will show you exactly how much space the program is taking up.

9. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    That setting is available to change when you set up the Season Pass. You can also change the "Keep Until" date.

10. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    It's 405 hours of analog content and that's only if everything is recorded in Basic quality. It's not movies and it's not HD. The stock Tivo Premiere can record up to 47 hours of HD content.

It's not at all strange that a recording option is found on the same page as all of the other recording options.

11. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I guess I thought it was strange because I figured there might be a universal one in the "Recordings" settings in the other menu. Not in the "Find Programs". But I guess it's a per-title setting so they bundle it into the "series pass".

Anyone know why the videos take up more space on the TiVo vs. the PC? In some cases it looks like the space reduces to half when it's transferred to the PC. Does it lose quality?