1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do recorded suggestions show up in % hard drive indicator?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by mtnagel, Nov 22, 2018.

1. mtnagel

mtnagel Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Just curious how much of the 1 TB drive I'm using on the recordings I've set up to record and wanted to make sure the % doesn't include recorded suggestions.

2. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    The % does not include TiVo suggestions.

dfreybur likes this.
  3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Here's a way to watch your hard drive become physically full. I record (on two Roamio units) prime time and late night. On my 1TB unit I kill all but the late night programs without SkipMode every Sunday night. I only watch the prime time shows on weekends. On the 3TB Roamio, which I expanded the drive last year, I record some prime time and Jimmy Kimmel Live. After watching and killing prime time I have a Deleted Recording folder with just Jimmy Kimmel Live.

I check my Deleted Recordings folder every week. When I see the oldest programs being deleted, I wipe that whole month. On the 3TB unit my Deleted Programs (of Jimmy Kimmel Live) go back to 10/1/2017. I have yet to fill the that drive. On the 1TB drive it usually takes over 160 deleted programs before it becomes physically full. On the 3TB drive I'm recording every episode of NCIS: Los Angeles and have yet to watch a single episode. As of today I have 224, some are two hours due to Sunday football. I imagine member with 4TB to 8TB drives will either never physically fill them, or die before they watch the content.

I don't record suggestions. I have Prime. I expect I will never run out of content to watch.

4. mtnagel

mtnagel Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    That's what I figured, but just confirming. Thanks!

Like all of it? All 3 hours for prime time and 2 hours for late night on all 4 networks?

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No way. About 20 hours of prime time and 4.5 hours of late night. One unit is NBC, CBS, Comedy Central. It's used for daytime live TV also. Other does everything else. Both have a Mini or two. Plus a TE4 Roamio and its Mini VOX. I like my toys.

6. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    If you run kmttg, it can show a pie chart of all categories of hard drive usage (for each TiVo): from unused to keep until delete.

7. dfreybur

dfreybur Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    No. Neither suggestions nor recently deleted appears in the percentage displayed.

I figured this out back when the suggestions went nuts and then stopped bothering to use the thumbs database -

Combined, the suggestions plus recently deleted plus now playing keep building until about 50% is used. I have not run up now playing above 50% to see what happens when it's large. Below is what I observed happening when now playing is under 20%.

Recently deleted episodes are permanently deleted to make room for suggestions or now playing. Suggestions are moved to recently deleted to make room for now playing.

If you ignore suggestions for long enough, it clears out the recently deleted. If you ignore the recently deleted long enough, it clears out to target about 50% disk space.

Thinking about it, this is the behavior I always wanted. Except that I always wanted suggestions to use the thumbs database but it no longer seems to.

OrangeCrush likes this.
  8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Just a clarification: Suggestions still work fine on TE3--it's TE4 with its new-fangled Suggestions algorithm that doesn't work (well). Also, my understanding is that the TE4 algorithm incorporates the thumbs, but along with other items.

dfreybur likes this.