Do I understand this correctly?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by techie714, Aug 25, 2007.

1. techie714

techie714 New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    I have a Series 3 HD Tivo

Well after trying for about two hours to get a bunch of Apple trailers to work on the the Tivo desktop, I finally found out it cant be done..yet.

To my understanding you must have the following items to transfer video onto your Tivo using the "My Tivo Recordings" folder.

1. Tivo desktop 2.5
    2. Java installed
    3. A supported file format
    4. Tivo Plus (Here is the kicker this is NOT available for Series 3 or HD Tivo's)

Question: I'm basically going to have to sit around & wait for the Tivo Desktop Plus to become available before I can transfer my videos?

2. hunts

hunts Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Illinois
    I believe that you can transfer videos only with a Series 2 Tivo....

3. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    You can not currently view videos from your PC on your Series 3. It doesn't have anything to do with TiVo Desktop Plus. Only Series 2 TiVos allow this right now.

4. techie714

techie714 New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    I agree with your statement but I'm pretty sure that when the update comes for viewing videos from your PC to Tivo it will require the Tivo Plus software package.

Any ETA on when the update will be released?

5. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Why are you pretty sure about that? Just curious, since currently it's not needed for the Series 2.

6. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    I find this interesting as well... Whats the deal here?

7. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    He's mixing two things:

1) It's not required to have a Plus key to use Tivo Desktop, and almost definitely this will be true with the S3 (if it's ever supported)

2) It *is* required to have a Plus key (and Quicktime installed) to view MPEG 4 video, like the Apple movie trailers. This is independent of S3 support.