Do I not undestand Season Passes?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by beagle72, Jan 19, 2006.

1. beagle72

beagle72 New Member

Jan 18, 2006

Advertisements

Hi,

I am new to Tivo/DTivo, coming from UltimateTV. Just setup a Series2 machine. I did 'upgrade' it with the Zipper, but I don't think that is relevent here.

I tried setting up my first Season Pass about an hour before the show's broadcast. This program airs daily on three channels: current series on NBC-E, current series on NBC-W (which I do not get), and old episodes on TV1.

I opened the grid guide and selected today's episode on NBC-E. Set the season pass. The season pass manager appears to show the info correctly for the channel.

However:

a) It did not record today's episode. Is there a waiting period from when you create the season pass to when it starts working?

b) When I go into my Season Pass Manager/Upcoming episodes, it shows the two episodes later today on NBC-W and TV1. I don't get NBC-W and I don't want the old episodes on TV1. Does the Season Pass roam channels and not stick to showings on a single channel?

Is some kind of auto-record wishlist better for this?

Thanks for any advice!
    -beagle

2. HDTivoUser

HDTivoUser Early Adopter

May 2, 2005
    Virginia
    Did you set-up your season pass to record first-run only? If so....was today's ep. a rerun?

3. beagle72

beagle72 New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    I did choose "First Run Only" and today's episode was not a rerun. The same (first run) episode today was on NBC-E and NBC-W. I just don't know why it did not record on NBC-E and shows an upcoming episode (since it is 3 hours behind) on NBC-W, when I did not set the Season Pass on NBC-W.

4. duanej

duanej New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Look in the To-Do list. Future shows should be listed there. If not, something is wrong with your SP. While there, look in the Recording History as to why it didn't record.

5. SleepyBob

SleepyBob Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2000
    Wisconsin

Advertisements

When you look at your Season Pass, double-check which of the 3 channels it says it is set up to record on. Perhaps it unexpectedly tied the season pass to NBC-W.

Also, it sounds like you need to update your "Channels I receive", perhaps? It sounds like you have NBC-W as a channel you receive, and perhaps NBC-E as a channel you don't receive.

I'm thinking, if your guide is set to "all channels", but NBC-E is not in your "channels I receive" list, it might let you set up a season pass on NBC-E through the guide, but then when it generates the to-do list, I don't know if it will consider recording the episodes, since the season pass is on a channel you "don't receive".

6. HDTivoUser

HDTivoUser Early Adopter

May 2, 2005
    Virginia
    It sounds like you need to go through and edit your "Channel I Receive" section to eliminate the DirecTivo from wanting to record shows on shannels you don't get.

7. Mr2sday

Mr2sday New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    And unless you choose not to, it normally won't record the same show within 28 days. So even though you don't get NBC-W, it may have tried to record it. As sleepybob said, take NBC-W off your channel's received list. If you have 2 shows already scheduled to record at that time, it will figure it can pick the show up at a different time (NBC-W time).

Before I set up a season pass, I go to the recording schedule to make sure there won't be any conflicts. Afterwards I go back to make sure it got the shows I expected. There is a certain setup time before it works.

If there is a specific episode I'd like to watch, such as a series premiere, I record the first episode then set the season pass.

Good luck.

8. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    Typically a SP will (when looking at the upcoming episodes list) will show all the episodes for that show no matter what channel they air on. It will/should only record from the channel you have the SP setup on.

9. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Go to the Recording History at the top of the To Do List and see why it didn't record.

To reiterate:
    Season Passes are channel specific, but when you look at the upcoming episodes, all channels that have that program will be shown. The one that has an SP will have a check mark to the left.

Wishlists are not channel specific. They will record the program no matter what channel it is on.

10. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Not necessarily, if all tuners are engaged at the time slot the SP is set to record, the Tivo will attempt to pick up the show on a different time/channel. Of course, the Tivo should tell you of any immediate conflicts when the SP is being setup.

11. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    An SP will never try to record from a different ch unless that ch has exactly the same name.

SPs are channel specific by ch name. However, I think, stations like NBC (E&W) and even some local NBCs are simply named NBC with the E&W in a different field.

12. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    In any conflicts as you described my Tivo has never tried to record from another channel for that SP. It will catch it on the same channel at a later time IF the show is on again.

13. Claude5382

Claude5382 New Member

Jul 30, 2003
    Earlysville, Va

SP's are channel specific. No exceptions. Wishlist's will record from any channel where the program meets the criteria. In seven years and five different machines, I've never seen it work any other way. Hope this helps. :)