do I need TWO tivobrand adapters for successful MRV?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by dubluv, Oct 31, 2006.

1. dubluv

dubluv tivo lover

Mar 3, 2006
    long...

Advertisements

i've read the info regarding the new tivo branded adapter, and have a question. if i replace the dwl-g120 i just bought with the new tivo adapter, will i have to get one for my other tivo to insure proper mrv??

2. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    As long as both have working adapters the brand doesn't matter. I think that throughput is increased if both have a TiVo adapter however.

3. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    I experienced a substantial improvement in speed using the TiVo-branded adapters.

4. Stormspace

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    I must take a TiVo adapter on both ends to see the speed increase. I have one on my S2DT and generic ones on my other boxes and the speed difference is negligible.

5. dubluv

dubluv tivo lover

Mar 3, 2006
    long...

Advertisements

hey guys, i was referring to the broken transfers that has not been addressed yet, and the blame was non tivo brand adapters. supposedly, tivo will fix this broken transfer issue with the next software update. however, for now, i have two tivo's, with two d-link adapters that work fine, except for multi room viewing transfers. so far, i've attempted two transfers, and both failed, with the humax rebooting. i was told this was caused by not using a tivo brand adapter. i have the dwl-122 for the series2 (540), and the dwl--g120 for the humax drt 400.

6. Nov 1, 2006 #6 of 12
    bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    I do remember reading that. I did, indeed, replace both adapters at the same time.

7. Nov 1, 2006 #7 of 12
    CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Actually I blame the software bug and recommend the adapter replacement as a pricy workaround that should get you fixed now, rather than waiting for TiVo to get their software update out. However, yesterday TiVoPony announced an open beta, you could sign up for that and perhaps fix your problem tomorrow for free. Check into it if you want. It is a whole heck of a lot cheaper than buying one or two adapters.

That said, I would never go back to a non-tivo adapter now that I have one on my 540. MRV of a one hour show went from well over 40 minutes to 20. My Humax has a wired adapter.

Another thing you can do is swap the adapters between TiVos. It may make a difference. I didn't see these details in your other thread, so the ideas didn't come to me there.

Next, I don't know why you would need 2. The adapter offloads work from the TiVo it is attached to. It should make that TiVo faster when sending. It should make little or no difference in speed on the receiving end.

Finally, you have a mixed B and G wireless network. That could be the root of the failed transfers. the TiVo shouldn't reboot, but if both fail, then it is possible that it is a network or router issue, so don't forget to make sure your wireless router firmware is completely up to date.

CuriousMark

8. Nov 1, 2006 #8 of 12
    dubluv

dubluv tivo lover

Mar 3, 2006
    long...
    Mark, just so you know my hardware situation, i have the dwl g120 on the humax, and the dwl 122 on the 540 S2. i was trying to transfer from the 540 to the humax so i could burn a couple of shows on the humax. i am going to try transferring to the 540, and see what happens. thanx again for all the helpful info. kinda wish tivo would have been more upfront about their dedicated brand adapter and what we'd experience by not using it. seems kinda dumb to show a list of compatible adapters, and not say they could effect mrv if they're used in place of a tivo brand adapter. this is like learning dos back in the day, and eventually newbies would never have to go thru what we early guys did.

9. Nov 1, 2006 #9 of 12
    CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    A couple of things.

Are you aware that your Humax will only burn what it recorded directly? It will not burn transfers, so don't waste your time trying. The reason is that the standard TiVo file format is not DVD compliant, but the file format used on DVD burner TiVos is. The reason is obvious, it has to be recorded in a compliant format so it can be burned. If you want to burn shows off of your 540 you will have to use TiVoToGo to send them to your PC and then use MyDVD or one of the other solutions discussed in the TiVoToGo topic here to burn them from the PC.

Second, TiVo introduced their own adapter because they were getting lousy support from the regular adapter manufacturers. Those guys would bring out new adapters and not publish any specs so a non-x86 linux driver could be written. By creating their own adapter they have control over it and it can't be rendered incompatible behind their backs as was happening so often before. The drivers that did exist for the adapters like yours worked great, I used a dWL-122 myself for a long time. They were more than good enough and had no problems whatsoever until late this summer when 7.3 came out and broke some of them. The problem is they only broke for a subset of people who used them in certain combinations with certain routers, etc, etc, etc. Most people with those adapters are finding they still work fine. You just fell into the unlucky group. (No I don't know what combinations work or don't, it seems to be very complicated) TiVo had no reason to expect or predict that you or others like you would have a problem. Their list is still valid for most people with those adapters. For those having a problem, that is not much consolation, and the reason I didn't bother you with it. TiVo is not even suggesting you upgrade as a fix, they are still committed to supporting your adapter.

It is I who recommended upgrading as the quickest fix. I know it will work for you, but now that TiVo is beta testing a software update, I think your fix may come in soon anyway. Those drivers worked for everyone before, there is no reason they won't work for everyone again. If you can still get into the open beta, I suggest you do it. It could save you money. Then if you decide to upgrade to the TiVo adapter, you will only be doing it for performance reasons, and on your own schedule.

CuriousMark

10. dubluv

dubluv tivo lover

Mar 3, 2006
    long...
    Ok, now i understand the situation much better. since i was under the assumption i could transfer to the humax and then burn that show, i now can wait till tivo comes out with an update. i wasnt complaining about speed of transfers, as i never got a show to transfer in the first place. and i was only transferring so i could burn it. since that all is a moot point, much of what i was going to do cant be done now anyway.

is this burning info about the humax listed on tivo or humax's site? i certainly wouldnt have taken up bandwith with this topic had i known. i really appreciate you taking the time to clear this up for me, and hopefully others. trial and error, plus this forum are mandatory to navigate all the features tivo has provided.

plus, i see your point with the tivo brand adapter and tivo's attempt to provide a solid foundation for its hardware with the least problems.

11. Stormspace

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    Not certain about this, but it may be possible to drop the show onto a PC, change the format so that it is DVD compatible, transfer it to the humax and then burn it. It all depends on if the Humax will burn GoBack material or if you don't have a DVD burner on your PC and just want a work around. If it does work this way you'll need some conversion software and a lot of time. Not really worth it unless you have one show you really like. Of course one bonus to doing it this way is that you could edit the commercials out.

12. dubluv

dubluv tivo lover

Mar 3, 2006
    long...
    I'm not a big fan of TTG, as i have to disable my AV software to allow transfers to my pc. and they take a long time to transfer. plus, i would have to buy one of the recommended programs to enable conversion to dvd, and that is another chunk of change. since i already own a humax dvd tivo, i would much rather burn the shows directly to dvd in the humax, than transfer to the pc. and, its much faster burning a dvd in the humax, plus its painless, with the tivo interface to guide you. lifetime subbing was a big decision in buying this second tivo, and i'm happy so far.