Do I need TWO MoCa bridges?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by squiredogs, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Jun 2, 2016 #1 of 13
    squiredogs

squiredogs TiVo'er since 1999

Aug 14, 2006

Advertisements

I took the plunge on the Bolt, one of the main reasons being the ability to use a Mini on two other TV's in the house.

The builder messed up, and they buried my Ethernet cable and cable line in the study, where I was going to use the mini. It's behind the drywall, and I don't know which stud. They ran a new cable line to that room.

Problem that might arise - Comcast hooked up all of my other lines (including the buried one tin that wall) yesterday, and the "new" line where I want the mini will be getting split to from the outside of the house.

Will that prevent the MoCa bridge that I will have from my router that is off of one of the other lines be able to communicate with the separate new split from outside cable line?

I didn't get my Bolt in the mail yet, nor, bought the Bridge or the Mini, so I have some time to read what to do.

Thanks!

2. Jun 2, 2016 #2 of 13
    fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    If I understand you correctly, the two devices you wish to connect are connected via common outputs of a splitter outside the house-MoCa should work in this configuration.

3. Jun 3, 2016 #3 of 13
    squiredogs

Aug 14, 2006
    Thanks for getting back. The line coming in from the utility pole will be split before going into the house. The one line is straight to the single outlet in the den (where I hope to put one mini) and the other line will lead to a central location inside the house that gets split to my modem and the other room's cable lines.

It's a bummer, because there's also a cat 6 line lost in that den wall too. I think it would cost a lot to tear up and repaint to try to find it.

4. Jun 3, 2016 #4 of 13
    poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Why can't the builder fix the buried cable problem and any damage to the walls?

5. Jun 3, 2016 #5 of 13
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015

Advertisements

Hi,
    You should get or have a MoCA POE filter installed on the input of the first 2 way splitter.
    Regarding finding that buried cable, I was wondering if something cheap like this could detect it once the signals are live on the line, http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-camera-rf-detector-95053.html
    There are other more expensive units but I would be curious if something like this could find the open coax terminal.
    Any rf experts out there?

6. Jun 3, 2016 #6 of 13
    fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Is there an amplifier anywhere in the chain? As long as it's not going back through an amplifier I would think it would still work regardless of whether it is split outside the house.

I had an amplified splitter outside my house with the outputs of the splitters all going to different rooms. No issue with MoCA communication between the rooms.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  7. Jun 3, 2016 #7 of 13
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    You should install a POE filter before the split. So you would have the line from the utility pole; then your POE filter; and then your splitter.

8. Jun 3, 2016 #8 of 13
    squiredogs

Aug 14, 2006
    I'm going to ask. If I can just get the stud or two where he ran the line I could probably get him to do it. But I don't know if he will, since he ran that cat 6 for free in the first place. He ran me a new cable, which is al I originally planned there, but the fact that it's an add-on line might n=mess the Tivo plan up.

9. Jun 3, 2016 #9 of 13
    squiredogs

Aug 14, 2006
    That would be huge! Like a metal detector, if I could pinpoint the spot where that cable is, I could cut a small hole, pull it through and patch it. Anyone know?

10. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    That detector looks for RF. You won't find your cat5 cable with it. You would need a good tone generator (about $50.00-$100.00.) Cheaper ones are available, but you get what you pay for....
    A tone generator would place a "tone" in the wire and you use the receiver to scan the walls. If the cable is too far from the wall, it will not pick it up.

Other options

Powerline Adapter (https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-P...=1465380047&sr=1-4&keywords=powerline+adapter)

Or

IF you have baseboard, you could remove the baseboard and drill holes looking for the wire. Then make your connection and replace the baseboard hiding any other holes.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  11. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    When RF signals propagate on coax cable, the RF is confined to the interior of the coax, except for a tiny amount of "leakage". I doubt that the device that you cite here would be sensitive enough.

An ordinary metal detector might work, but it would also find nails and 60-Hz power wires etc.

12. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    Back to the original question.

No you do not need two MoCA bridges. Actually you may not need to provide any.

Do you have Wired Ethernet to where the Bolt will be? If so, then simply used the Bolt to provide the MoCA access.

The MoCA signal will have a path back out through the splitters, to the one being added outside of the house and back to the Mini.

As mentioned put a POE Filter on the Cable Provider side of this new splitter.

If you don't have Wired Ethernet to the Bolt, then you'll want a MoCA bridge at the Modem (or any other place you have Wired Ethernet access.) This will feed network to both the Bolt and Mini.

13. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    You rarely need two bridges. If you can get your router in the same general area as your main TiVo you don't need any. Just wire one router port to the TiVo.