Do I need cable cards?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by slyone, Oct 4, 2008.

1. slyone

slyone Member

Jul 22, 2005

Advertisements

Been working fine but I just cancelled HBO....My Time Warner HD channels are 1000+ so I'm wondering if I would still receive these without the cable cards? Aren't the cards just for "pay/premium stations? Thanks!

2. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Yes, you need cablecards for them to work correctly.

3. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Without CableCards, you will only be able to receive analog channels, and unencrypted digital channels (clear QAM) for which you won't receive any guide data, which limits the usefulness of your TiVo.

What digital channels will be clear QAM will depend on the provider and sometimes the locale as well. My cable provider (Charter) encrypts all digital channels except the local OTA's and a few foreign language channels.

4. slyone

slyone Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Darn! I was thinking of further reducing my monthly tv/entertainment bill by another $6-$7.

5. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...

Advertisements

If you get good OTA reception in your area, and won't miss most of your cable provider's HD content (or are willing to settle for the SD equivalent), consider dropping the HD tier and putting up an antenna. You'll get the OTA locals in HD (if broadcast that way) and save at least that much.

If your cable provider's analog content is sufficient for your viewing needs, you can drop the digital tier as well and save even more.