Do I need a TiVo Bolt that says "OTA" in the name to record antenna TV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Laurence5905, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Laurence5905

Laurence5905 New Member

Apr 20, 2007

Advertisements

I have a 4-tuner TiVo Bolt, 1TB capacity. Currently I have it connected to digital cable with a Cable Card, but if I were to cut the cord, would I be able to use that TiVo to record from an antenna?

I've searched Google, and this forum, but every time I enter "antenna" or "OTA" into the search-terms, I only get results that include the TiVo Bolt OTA. I know the TiVo Bolt OTA will record from an antenna -- I want to know if my regular 4-tuner TiVo Bolt will also record from an antenna.

Thanks,
    Laurence MacNeill
    Ball Ground, Georgia, USA

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    All 4-tuner Bolt's can do OTA.
    The units with OTA in their name can ONLY do OTA, the 4-tuner without OTA in the name can do cable or OTA.

Dan Cour likes this.
  3. aspexil

aspexil Member

Oct 16, 2015
    And you can verify what @dianebrat said by looking at the back of your Tivo Bolt. You should see a standard antenna jack on the back (RG58 if I'm not mistaken but my memory not so good these days).

4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I'm pretty sure there's just one coax input that does double duty cable and antenna, like a typical TV.

You can connect your antenna, re-run guided setup for OTA and test it out before you cut the cord and see how you like it. Then repeat guided setup for cable to go back. Your one passes and recordings are preserved.

dianebrat likes this.
  5. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    dianebrat likes this.