Do I need a new tuner for my DTV HR10-250?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Skooz, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Skooz

Skooz New Member

Jul 15, 2007

Advertisements

I have a Direct TV HR10-250 HD DVR.

In the past week or so, many of the channels (most of the non HD channels) began to pixalate, looking precisely like something was in the way of the dish.

I cut down some growth close to the dish outside, but the problem persisted and then worsened. Now I only get the message "Searching for Signal on: Satellite in 1" on most of the channels 200 - 400 and up. The XM channels in the 800s are about 50/50. The ones that work, work fine.

Some other non-HD channels work fine (RFD, EWTN and a few others) and have no pixalation and no "Searching for Satellite" message.

The HD channels (72 - 79) work perfectly, as do my local channels 3-45 (both sat and ant).

Also, the DVR rebooted itself several times over the past few days.

My guess is that one of the tuners has gone bad.

Is that a good guess?
    If so, where can I buy a new tuner?
    Can I replace it myself (I'm no technician, but I build my computers and upgraded the DVR with a new HD 8 months ago)?

Any help will be graciously appreciated. Thanks.

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    A typical user cannot replace the tuners. It is far easier to replace the whole DVR.

3. annenoe

annenoe He's a Smooth Fox

Oct 19, 2003
    Mountain...
  4. annenoe

annenoe He's a Smooth Fox

Oct 19, 2003
    Mountain...
    Sorry - brain fart. Skooz, I see you are new to forum and probably didn't realize we have our own area - just for HR10-250 users. Best to start there.

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY

Advertisements

Before going over to the HDTiVo forum, you should swap the two input cables to see if the problem shifts to Sat In 2. If it doesn't, then it's the tuner, otherwise it most likely is a failing hard drive.

6. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Welcome to the Tivo Forums.

Try switching over the Cables as Jim has suggested. If it switches from One Tuner to the other, then it possibly could be a Multiswitch going bad (If you have one).

If it stays on Tuner 1, then the Tuner could be going out.

It is near impossible for us normal users to replace a Tuner.

It may also be the Hard Drive as Jim has said, but since you only replaced that 8 Months ago, it should not be going out that quickly. If it is the HD, it should be under Warranty.

7. Skooz

Skooz New Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Thank you each for your replies. You have been quite helpful.

annenoe: I have bookmarked the forum you mentioned. Thanks.

JimSpence, wolflord11: I'll give that a shot when it starts acting up again. It's been working perfectly on ALL channels since this morning.

Very weird.

I'm on my 3rd HD, so I hope it isn't that. But, it doesn't act like it did before. When the HDs died it affected all channels and the Now Playing programs, as well.