Do I need a land line for Tivo updates?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bebw, May 29, 2011.

1. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    Do I need a land line for Tivo updates? I have a land line now but thinking of switching to all cable, phone and internet. Thanks!:confused:

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    You can use the internet but you'll need to get the USB adapter for your unit.

3. rdodolak

rdodolak Member

Dec 17, 2008
    You can also use the TiVo's LAN port to connect it to a router or a wireless bridge.

4. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    My Phillips and Sony no longer work so it is the Humax I bought in 2006. Should I check somewhere to see if I have that capability before arrange for sure to cut off the phone service??

5. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    I'll get out my instructions and see if there is a LAN port on mine. I wouldn't know by just looking at it!!

6. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    Okay, I see the USB port in the back. So that needs to be connected to my computer, right?

I'm trying to figure because then my Tivo will need to be next to my computer since I don't use wireless...afraid of the radiation...!...I know it's "everywhere", but it's not in my house at least or not as much.

7. rdodolak

rdodolak Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Oops, sorry didn't see you had Series 1 and 2 TiVo units. More than likely they won't have them. However, if you'll be getting your phone service through your cable company then they should be able to provide you with separate base units. This way you can hook up your Tivo to your phone line. Also, there may be an option to plug the voice modem into an existing phone jack so that it will energize all the wired phone jacks in your house. I'd recommend checking with the provider to see if they have a way to activate/use all of the existing wired phone jacks in the house.

8. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    I'll ask the cable provider about activating the phone jacks for sure. Good idea! Thanks

9. rdodolak

rdodolak Member

Dec 17, 2008
  10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    No. You'd connect it to a network adapter (USB port on one side, Ethernet jack on the other). You have to find one that the TiVo will support... I use an Xterasys XN-121 for this, but it's probably no longer available. The Linksys USB200M used to be sort of the standard, but it's fragile.

Don't be stupid.

You're better off with a wired connection anyway, but that's because it's more stable and faster.

11. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati

12. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    What I'm trying to figure out is will I have to locate my Tivo near my computer to get updates via internet since I don't use wireless device...just assuming that's not stupid for a moment!!!:mad:

13. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    If you're getting telephone service from your cable company, then they will tie it in to your existing phone line. Just leave the Tivo where it is and let it keep connecting over the phone line.

14. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    Wasn't thinking about cable telephone service but maybe. I might be a reason to get it.

15. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    No, it's not like a modem. And like I said, the computer is not involved in any way.

This is what your network should look like with Cable Internet:

Code:
         |
         | coax in
         |
    +-------------+
    | cable modem |
    +-------------+
          | 
          | cat5*
          |
    +-------------+
    |   router *  |
    +-------------+
        |     |
        |     | cat5
        |     |       +----------+
        |     +-------| computer |
        |             +----------+
        |
        | cat5
        |
    +----------------------+
    | USB/Ethernet adapter |
    +----------------------+
           |
           | USB
           |
       +------+
       | TiVo |
       +------+

* router and cable modem could be same device

And yes, the router will probably be one of those ones that put out those evil WiFi signals, but don't worry -- you can disable that part. :rolleyes:

16. rdodolak

rdodolak Member

Dec 17, 2008
    You're TiVo doesn't necessarily have to be near your computer or router. Depending on your situation you may have one or more options:

1) Continue connecting via phone line. This is probably your cheapest option and should be no additional cost. The cable company should activate all existing household jacks when they come out to do the install.

2) You can use a USB to Ethernet adapter such as the one found on this page:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-networking-parts.php

However, to make use of that adapter either:
    a) your house must be wired for Ethernet and you must have an Ethernet port nearby (very unlikely) or ​
    b) you use a wireless bridge to connect to a wireless router (you've already stated you don't want to use wireless) or ​
    c) your TiVo is within reach of a router that is connected to your internet cable modem. (Assumes you already have a router otherwise this will be an additional cost)​

3) You can use a product like the HomePlug Powerline (found via the link previously provided) to use existing outlets for wired networking. First, you'd plug one HomePlug into an outlet near your TiVo, plug a USB-to-Ethernet adapter into the USB port of your TiVo, and connect an Ethernet cable from the HomePlug to the adapter. Then you'd plug another HomePlug into an existing outlet near your internet router and connect the HomePlug and router via another Ethernet cable. Most cable modems usually only have one LAN (Ethernet) port. Therefore, if your computer is already connected to this port you'd need a router too. Then you'd connect your computer and the HomePlug to the router and the router to the cable modem.

I wouldn't worry too much about RF exposure from wireless technology. Do you use wireless phones? If so, you're being exposed to similar RF signals. However, simply put even if you don't use wireless in your home external RF signals from outside the home can easily penetrate the walls thus you're being exposed anyway (to include RF signals from your neighbors' wireless devices).

17. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I live where we get hurricanes and like having a buried phone line that is powered by the phone company even if the electricity is out and none of the cell phone towers are working, so I'm biased.

How much is your land line costing you per month?

18. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Barb, your TiVo is a computer of sorts. The USB-Ethernet adapter provides the TiVo with an Ethernet LAN port you can connect to your home network. For that, you need to run an Ethernet cable from where your TiVo is, to where your Internet modem is. Where your modem is, you install a router (you can get ones which are wired only), which lets your computer, TiVo, and other things seamlessly share the modem and Internet connection.

For your Series 1s, if the cable phone does not work for their calls, you do serial PPP (which involves running wire to your PC), or install a network adapter inside your TiVos.

Unitron, the cable phone box they install has a battery backup, and probably much of the infrastructure which supports it is also backed up by batteries or standby generator.

19. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It's been my experience in the past that when a major weather event knocks out the power to the extent that it's restored in a matter of days and not hours, cable cannot be relied upon to be functioning the entire time either, but regular telephone service suffers considerably less disruption.

20. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    Per her sig, her Series 1s are dead.