Do I need a CableCard for this type of setup?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by limoman, Feb 13, 2017.

1. limoman

limoman Member

Mar 27, 2003
    Southern MA

Advertisements

I want to use a TiVo Premiere to record the output of my home security system. The security DVR outputs with an HDMI connection or an RF/coax connection being fed through an RF modulator to output on cable channel 74.

Can a TiVo Premiere be set up, without a cable card, to see this channel 74? It is the only channel I'm planning to record.

If this setup is not possible, is there another approach anyone can recommend?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If it is a two tuner Premiere, and that channel 74 is analog/NTSC/vsb, then yes. I'm not sure what you mean by "cable channel" since that usually means QAM. Can you see the channel on your TV?

Most consumer products do not record from a HDMI source. Some do, but I don't have that information.

3. limoman

limoman Member

Mar 27, 2003
    Southern MA
    Hi JoeKustra,
    Thanks for the response. If I were to connect the output of the RF modulator to a "cable ready" TV, the security cameras would be visible on channel 74. Ultimately I'm looking to record the output of my security DVR to a TiVo Premiere. I'm just not sure what restrictions or obstacles I may encounter.

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If it works with your TV on channel 72 then it should work on a two-tuner Premiere. A Premiere with more than two tuners, or any higher series TiVo does not support analog. I assume you already have the Premiere since there are other devices, like the older Magnavox DVDR units that might be a better solution, since they would allow burning to a DVD.

I guess the specs for your modulator say analog, NTSC, or vsb?

5. limoman

limoman Member

Mar 27, 2003
    Southern MA

Advertisements

I'm not at home right now to check the specs - but the modulator is about 12 years old if that helps. BTW, you're correct - I do already have the Premiere. Plus I like the idea of being able to stream the security camera recordings to my Roamio in the living room if needed. Thanks again for the help.

JoeKustra likes this.
  6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sounds good. I have two Premiere boxes that I seldom use, but the 500GB unit is good for easy storage. Since you will be analog, that would allow a lot of hours, even more than SD since you won't have an audio track. I still get five analog channels on my cable feed, so I know it works from channel 2 to 135. Good luck.