Do I have a bad tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bluegauges, Jan 21, 2006.

1. bluegauges

bluegauges New Member

Jan 21, 2006

Advertisements

I bought a used tivo series 1 box from ebay. Without using it very much, I upgraded to a 120g second hard drive. It works great but the problem I have is that when the tivo has been running for about 2 days, it loses sound completely, some channels no longer come in and the ones that do are jerky. (I dont know how else to explain it other than "jerky"). I still get the tivo sound effects when going through the menu though.

To fix it, I have to reboot the tivo. Then it works great. But I have to reboot every 2-3 days. It's very annoying! Is it something I can fix or possibly a hardware issue? (mb, ram, hard drive, tuner etc?)

I have another one that I did not upgrade yet that works good. I could probably use that for parts? Or can I switch the hard drive(s) from the bad tivo to the second tivo?

Any suggestions?

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Did you run copykern utility after the mfsrestore when adding second drive?

3. bluegauges

bluegauges New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    it has been a while but I am pretty sure I did. I used leo laportes book/cd to do it. If I remember correctly, this tivo had an unusual kernel that needed to have an extra step done to the kernel to complete the upgrade.

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse

Why would it even be useful to run copykern when adding a B drive <137GB to an existing A drive?

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.

Advertisements

No, only when you are using>137 GB drives set up for a >137 GB/drive system.