Do gifts qualify for Tivo referral points?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by javabird, Oct 15, 2007.

1. javabird

javabird Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    I'm a little unclear about how Tivo rewards works. I bought the refurb S2 Tivo that's on special for my Mom as a gift with the 1-yr prepay, so she won't have to worrry about the monthly payments. Since I put it on my own CC, does that mean I won't get referral points? It will be installed at a different address.

2. Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2003
    if it is subscribed under your account, you may not receive the referral. if you just paid for it but subscribed it under her name and address, you should be eligible.

3. javabird

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    So, I should have used her name and address when I placed the order, and just put it on my credit card? Eek, I guess I made a mistake. Any way to fix it now (or when I activate the service)?

4. Mikeyis4dcats

Oct 2, 2003
    you may be best to call back and explain its a gift, but that you'd like the account in her name for future subscription purposes. that shouldn't be an issue i wouldn't think.

5. JustAllie

JustAllie Number crunchin'

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    It's not a problem if you haven't activated it yet -- when you activate it, give her name, address, and e-mail, with your e-mail as the referrer.

6. Mikeyis4dcats

Oct 2, 2003
    don't the prepaid bundles come preactivated?

7. JustAllie

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    Hmm, you may be right -- in which case the opportunity to give a referral has already passed, I think.

A call to TiVo might straighten all this out.

8. javabird

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    Bummer. That will be the 2nd time I didn't get points for a referral (the last time, the person exhanged the Tivo and didn't enter my email for the exchange.)

9. Mikeyis4dcats

Oct 2, 2003

call Tivo. they can probably fix it.

if not, I'd take it! ;)

10. JustAllie

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    You can also log into your TiVo.com account and try filling out this form on the TiVo website requesting credit for the referral. It might not work if your e-mail address is already associated with the account, but again, call TiVo and explain things rather than just giving up.

11. javabird

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    Thanks for your advice. I called Tivo and they were really nice about helping me sort it out. Next time, I'll know how it works.