Do DVR-R10 unit have any value?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by askewed, Sep 21, 2008.

1. askewed

askewed Snoogins

Sep 12, 2000
    NJ

Advertisements

I just decommissioned two DVR-R10 DirecTV receivers. Are they worth trying to sell and if so what do you think is a fair asking price?

Thanks!

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Usual suggestion is to check completed listings on eBay to see what similar units went for. The R10 is the least desirable of the DTiVo models due to the need for PROM replacement if you want to "hack" it.

3. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    As S said, check eBay... I'd say $20 to $30, depending on what comes with it

4. snickerrrrs

snickerrrrs Tech-no Guide

Mar 30, 2006
    Southern...
    The only real value is to introduce someone to a Tivo dvr for their Directv service that has never had a Tivo dvr before. Basically you're being a good neighbor allowing someone to try a dvr without having to sign up for a two year commitment. My first Tivo was an R10 and I loved it. 2009 (probably late 2009) can't come quick enough so I can go to a Directv HD Tivo.

PS: eBay wants a cut of your profit so sell on craigslist...

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH

Advertisements

I just checked the eBay listings. Except for one unit which inexplicably went for $70 (nothing special about this one I can find), the R10 typically sells for $35-$40, though I see one went for under $10.

6. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    On ebay, the box alone, in working condition, usually gets around $20
    With a remote and cables, usually $25-$50.

I've seen them go for $70 to almost $100 when complete with everything, including the original box (but that admittedly was a little while ago...probably wouldn't expect it again).

It's still a good box to someone that doesn't want to hack it. The earlier Series2's almost always had 40 GB drives (80's and 120's were available, but not that common), where the R10 has 80GB. That's about the only selling point you can push to a knowledgeable buyer, though.

7. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    I just bought one for my den last week on eBay for $22 - cables and all. If you're interested in that price range I'd probably be interested in buying one or both off of you. I currently have 2 R-10s running, and I'm hoping to make them last until the HD DirecTivo 2.0 comes out next year, so having a backup would be nice.

8. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    I went a different route. Instead of having complete units for 'backup', I imaged a couple of spare hard drives to swap out. 99% of the time the failures are hard drive related anyway.

9. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    If you really want a backup, the best way is a non-RID unit, with a ready to go drive installed. Use the 722 trick, either from the directv website, or phone, to activate the card from the failed unit in the backup, without ever having to get on the phone with a CSR.

10. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    I don't have to use 722 or call a CSR. Both spare drives were imaged from the original running 6.2a, and I've popped them into each unit and booted up to insure all channels work.

11. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    That works well, but when the spare drive is offline long enough (uncertain how long), it will lose channels. I had a spare that was out about 12 months, and when I tested it, it started up with none of my local channels, and gaps in the regular channels. They all came back in 4-8 hours, and a 722 would have brought them back immediately.

Having a spare hard drive is a very good backup method, but if you want something that you can get up and running in time top record the show that comes on in 10 minutes, a spare non-rid unit is the only way to go.

One handy little tip, if you're units are hacked, and you run 51killer.tcl on the spare drive, it can be used as a spare in any Series2, not just the one it came from. (This is my secondary backup method...think I could get a job at the Redundancy Department of Redundancy?)