do cablecards go bad?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by jim t., Jun 20, 2020.

1. jim t.

jim t. New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Myrtle...
    Hi there hope you can help with this odd problem. I have a Tivo Bolt vox (14 months old) and on Thursday our local cable company transitioned to all digital. I never had an issue with my tivo service until this change. It started with no channels working at all on Thursday when I got home from work and the screens had either V53 and D261 error msgs. I called the cable company and they were able to get it working again by re-pairing the card. Now 2 days later we are experiencing blackouts on all channels that last a max of 1-2 seconds. I did the troubleshooting on Tivo website and noticed something odd with the cablecard. If I go to settings>cablecard>cablecard decoder screen the message "M-card inserted" will change every 3 to 5 minutes or so to "No card" then my screen will blanks out for a 1-2 seconds and then the message goes back to "M-card inserted". I checked the signal strength also and that remains at 100% through the blackouts. I am thinking my cablecard has gone bad? Is that possible? If so will the cable company give me a new card? Looking for any help with this. Thanks for your time.

2. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Do you have a tuning adapter also?

3. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    yes cablecards can go bad. When I had Comcast in Minneapolis it took 2 different cards to get it working (first card wouldnt show any card info)
    When I moved and Mediacom was the company it took 2 different cards to get working then about 7 months later it crapped out requiring a 3rd card.

So yeah they go bad ;)

4. jim t.

jim t. New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Myrtle...
    New Motorola cablecard and guided setup fixed the problem. thanks for the input

unclehonkey likes this.