do any tivos allow you to watch/transfer files from your computer?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by newsposter, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Oct 7, 2011 #1 of 70
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I know zip about standalones but i've researched a bit and do know i need the XL to record OTA (a must for me). If i could integrate the video files on my computer, the XL would be all the box i would need. I want to ditch directv.

2. Oct 7, 2011 #2 of 70
    jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    You don't have to get the XL. The standard Premiere will also do OTA just fine.

Any Tivo can receive files from your computer. There are limitations and certain formats work better than others, but they can all do it.

There are many programs that you could use... TiVo desktop, pyTiVo, kmttg. Once you get a TiVo, you'll spend many hours reading about them, and playing with them and deciding what works best for you. It's well worth it. I love the flexibility I have to archive shows from my TiVo to my computer, and it is so easy to take family videos and transfer them to the TiVo to watch on the big screen.

Jeff

3. Oct 7, 2011 #3 of 70
    newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i guess i didnt read the specs right and i found the page of comparisons....200 bucks gets you 100 more hours so i need to decide if i need that. thanks for the info. (can the premiers be upgraded like my old HDtivo was able to be?)

i have no interestin tivo to PC files but the ease of computer to tivo files is critical! i've been reading about tivo desktop. does it really allow me to load a video file to the tivo and then shut down the computer and be able to FF /rewind andn pause just as if it was an OTA program?

if so i think i found my solution! 750 for a premier with lifetime vs 1000 a year for directv :) thats a mighty quick payback assuming i can find all the shows i like online of course

another thing i havent found yet is the number of season passes allowed. is it unlimited like my hr10 250

4. Oct 7, 2011 #4 of 70
    jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Note that you can upgrade the hard drive in a Premiere pretty easily with a $60-$70 2TB hard drive and have the same capacity as an XL.

5. Oct 7, 2011 #5 of 70
    jeff92k7

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    Yes, but as I said, there are limitations. For example, the file needs to be in MPEG2 format to natively send it to the TiVo using TiVo Desktop. If you use pyTiVo, you can push MPEG2, MP4, and .WMV files. Also, the file needs to be unencrypted. You won't be able to transfer the "digital copy" from recent Blu-Ray/DVD releases for example. However, there are ways to copy a DVD itself pretty easily and transfer them to the TiVo.

If you're downloading torrents, then you may be on your own to figure out how to do it. To my knowledge, this forum doesn't approve of discussions on violating copyrighted content. Fair use is one thing (copying your own, purchased DVDs for example), but downloading illegal content is not considered fair use.

Content from Amazon (not Prime) and Netflix both play just fine on the TiVo. Though some people complain about the Netflix integration. I haven't had any major issues with it myself.

Jeff

6. Oct 7, 2011 #6 of 70
    newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i've downloaded so many programs from giveawayoftheday.com that im' sure one of them converts to mpeg2 or wmv if i need it. plus i think my full nero does too..so converting to mpeg2 etc wont be an issue. will be very cool to be able to import files. my tversity with my hr20 is very limited and drops if you even pause it, very unreliable. i will gladly pay the $$ for full functionality of a tivo with my existing files

i never use dvds so that part of the equation is moot, just want avis and wmvs from my computer on the tivo and i'm happy :)

7. Oct 7, 2011 #7 of 70
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    pyTivo for one does conversions on the fly and will handle just about any format.

8. Oct 7, 2011 #8 of 70
    newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    ah i never heard of it, very good to know!

i hope the tuner is just as good or better than the hr10

9. Oct 7, 2011 #9 of 70
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    It's still a TiVo. Why would that change?

10. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I've learned not to assume anything with technology, better ask than be surprised but i did dig on the site and it wasnt addressed...

i'm almost anxious to get rid of directv now lol.

11. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    The bottom line is that with pyTiVo loaded on the PC, you can transfer an extremely wide variety of different video file formats to your TiVo(s). The videos can either be pulled, meaning the transfer is initiated from the NPL of the TiVo, or pushed, meaning the transfer is initiated by pyTivo. The most efficient transfers are enjoyed with videos that are either MPEG2 or H.264 in a .mp4 container, the latter if the video is pushed to the TiVo, rather than pulled. I also recommend vidmgr. It is a terrific front end for pyTiVo pushes controlled from any TiVo in the house.

12. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    can you give some general estimations of how long it takes to transfer a 'typical' 42 minute show from computer to tivo? (i have a linksys G adapter) or i can even run ethernet between the laptop and the tivo unit if it's materially faster

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    So you mean you're going to buy a Tivo, then use it with pirated content?

14. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I don't see where he said that. Personally I'm assuming his favorite show is Pioneer One. :D

Most of what I use pyTivo for is Creative Commons licensed. Really. I understand some people's usage is different. But I fail to see how that's my business.

15. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Transfer times can vary depending on file size and compression.
    Wired network will be faster than wireless.
    My experience transferring Mpeg-2 HD material to a TivoHD on a wired network is slightly faster than real time (30 min show takes ~20 min).

The Premiere has better hardware so transfers should be faster than what I posted above.

16. jeff92k7

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    As Steve614 mentioned, transfer times vary based on content and connection type.

On my all wired network, I get transfer times of less than 10 minutes to transfer a 30 minute show from Premiere to premiere.

From computer to Premiere (MPEG2) takes just slightly longer then half the show length. i.e. 30 minute show takes about 16-17 minutes.

From computer to Premiere (MP4) takes takes about a third of the show length. i.e. 30 minute show takes about 10 minutes.

From Premier to computer (.TIVO/MPEG2) takes a bit longer then half the show length. i.e 30 minute show takes about 17 minutes.

Typical network throughput on a wireless G network (54Mbps) for a single wireless client will be just less than half of what a wired 100Mbps network can do. If you have multiple wireless clients all on the same G network, throughput will be slower for each. Since computer to TiVo transfers run around 30Mbps, you will find a wired network to be not much different than a wireless G network. Wired may be slightly faster when you consider wireless interference. however, if you have multiple Premieres and are transferring content between them, you will find wired to be significantly faster. Premiere to Premiere transfers run between 80 and 90Mbps - much faster than wireless G is capable of.

I cannot speak to the relative speeds of wireless N equipment for TiVo.

Jeff

17. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    thanks for the detailed reply, long as it doenst take longer than the show itself i think i'm happy.

am i correct in that you can load shows on the tivo from PC while you are watching previously recorded content?

18. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Yes. I usually fire up the web interface of PyTiVo on my iPad and push shows to the TiVo while I am watching something else.

19. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    is it better to push or pull? just started reading about that kind of thing..

20. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I have a Toshiba Tivo with basic lifetime, and wondering if the Tivo has any capabilities using the Tivo wireless to the computer/web.