Do any Satellite companies work with Tivo Series 2

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by LabsRule, Mar 20, 2011.

1. LabsRule

LabsRule New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Manchester, NH

Advertisements

I, like many I am sure, am fed up with my current cable company (Comcast) and would like to try satellite services. I almost hooked up with Directv, but I was told it would not work with Series 2 Tivo.

Even with Comcast, I have to use a very old style box to be able to plug in the Tivo. Is there anyone out there with a Series 2 and Satellite, and if so, which company?

Thank you.

Series 2 owner since 2003 w/ Lifetime Service
    Two Tivo Units
    Tivo Rocks!!

2. pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    Indiana
    Using the IR blaster that came with the S2, I never had any issues in controlling both RCA & Hughes boxes, those were over five years ago, TiVo might not have codes for the newer boxes. As the older boxes were owned by the subscriber, you might have joy scouring the thrift / charity shops for some.

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The Series 2s work with pay satellite providers that provide a channel list, and have a box with A/V out and IR control.

In the USA, that would be DirecTV and Dishnetwork. In Canada, it would be Bell/Telus satellite (ExpressVu), and Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice). I use my TiVo with Shaw Direct, and don't really know it.

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    No, you don't. ANY Comcast box that isn't already a DVR will work with any S2.