Do any receivers send all incoming video over HDMI?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by blhirsch, Aug 23, 2007.

1. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003

Advertisements

I am currently in the research stage on my own HDtivo setup. I'll be mounting the flat panel on the wall, and would like very much to reduce the cabling out of it.

What I'd like to do is this: Send ONE HDMI cable to the screen from the receiver. TV gets nothing else but power.

Into the receiver will be a DVD player, a Wii, and of course the Tivo.

Assuming at least two of those things are going to be component, do you guys know of any receiver that will take an input over component, but send the video signal out over the HDMI. Thus, switching modes on the receiver will switch the video being sent to the TV.

2. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    Many AV receivers will do this. Mine - the Denon 2307ci - does it and there are others.

Just be aware that not all TVs accept all signals over HDMI. Mine, a Samsung DLP, does not accept 480i over HDMI. I needed to run a separate s-video cable for my VCR.

3. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I'd be interested in this too, because my TV doesn't overscan anything that's coming in on the HDMI input, so switching the others sources to HDMI would be a way for me to get everything overscan free.

4. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
    Thanks! Well, I haven't yet bought the TV, so I can make sure to match TV to receiver.

What am I looking for on the receiver? I see lots of receivers say "HDMI switching" but I can't determine whether or not it's referring to swtiching among more than one HDMI input (many receivers have two or more HDMI inputs), or among all video inputs to the receiver.

Also, do I have to worry about signal degradation, or should it be a-ok to go Tivo-->receiver-->TV without problems? Is there a KIND of HDMI input on a receiver I should be looking for?

5. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ

Advertisements

The denon web site has the following description for my receiver:

"Video up conversion to HDMI as also been added so that Composite, S-Video and Component sources can be sent out the same HDMI connection to the HD monitor for ease of use."

I would assume you'd see similar language for other manufacturers.

6. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
  7. dolfer

dolfer Miles Standish Proud

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    The Onkyo TX-SR705 is cool... If you want to spend less, go for the 605. If you have more, step up to the 805.

8. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
  9. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    There are several levels of features:

Analog Switching & HDMI Switching - Allows multiple analogs be switched onto one analog output to the TV and multiple HDMI to be switched onto one HDMI up to the TV. This is not ideal because you need to change inputs on your TV for analog and HDMI. Not terrible though because you only have two cable sets up to the TV. I saw a cheap Sony that did this.

HDMI Switching with conversion of Analogs to HDMI - This is nice because you can route all of your signals up to a single HDMI cable.

HDMI with Upconversion - These receivers to their best to upconvert all signals to 1080i (1080p pass-through) with varying degrees of success.

I personally like my Pioneer Elite 82TXS which is the third type. It also lets me rename the inputs so they make more sense when flipping through the inputs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/pioneer-vsx-82txs-elite/4505-6466_7-32110153.html

10. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
    Thanks, everybody! That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll be shopping for one soon. I admit I'm drawn to the Harman Kardon because it's objectively gorgeous, but I'm more inclined to go with one that others have used and liked.

11. BBURNES

BBURNES Member

Jun 23, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    + :up:

for both the Pioneer Elite VSX-84TSI and 82TSX.

Nearly identical feature sets and great value.

12. colin1497

colin1497 New Member

Nov 20, 2006
    My Yamaha RX-V2700 does this. I have one connection to my monitor, all video is switched at the receiver.

13. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Take a look at the just released Onkyo TX-NR905 in CNet's Article it is a top of the line $2000 receiver. After you understand its specs you can decide what you a loosing with lower cost receivers. One notable item is the TX-NR905 outputs 1080P and up converts everything to 1080P - this is a big deal for SD content. The CNet article also lists all of the current Onkyo receivers with their basic specs and list price to give you an idea of what you loose as the price gets lower. The sweet spot/most bank for the buck for many people will be the TX-SR605 at $600.

Good Luck,

14. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    Thanks for posting the link to the CNET article. The listing of all the line up allows you to easily see what you get for each incremental amount of $$.

With only pass-thru for video source (up to component) and no HDMI capability, has basically nullified my Pioneer reciever. That said, my new Sony HD set is so good, my reciever has basically been reduced to a 6.1 dolby digital surround sound sound system....which is fine with me....for now.

My new threshold is the Onkyo 605. I wouldn't buy a new receiver today with anything less in specs. That said, the video input capabilities of some of the better sets are fine, partnered with a good dolby digital surround sound system.

15. holligl

holligl Member

Dec 28, 2004
    When I was looking, I found the 800 series (804 not 805) for only about $100 more online. Love it. Never could find this in a brick and mortor store at a reasonable price. The remote is also very capable.

16. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    Be careful. My Denon receiver upscales the 480i or 480p component output from the DVD player to automatic widescreen. My Panny EDTV plasma will not allow me to "panelize" the picture when appropriate. I think the receiver does the same for an SD Tivo, but I don't remember. As a result, my DVD compnent goes directly to the TV.

17. gbrown

gbrown Member

Oct 31, 2006
    My Setup
    AMP: Sony STR-DG810 (3 HDMI input, 1 Output)
    Inputs:
    1. TiVo Series 3
    2. Sony DVP-NS75H (upconverting)
    3. AppleTV
    Output:
    TV: Sony Bravia KDL-40V2500

I've run the HDMI, power, and cable in the wall. That way I can watch 1 program via the TV's QAM tuner while recording 2 others on the TiVo HEY - it occaisonally happens!

My only sorrow is not buying the larger screen :)

18. retired_guy

retired_guy New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Saratoga,...
    Do you know whether any of the receivers mentioned above wll optionally insert the closed caption information as a video overlay as the Series3 does while doing the upconversion? My problem is that in addition to the Series3, I've got two Series2 systems going into the same TV. By keeping their input analog, I can let the TV do the closed caption work, but if I upscale to HDMI with a new receiver, I've been concerned that I'll lose my closed caption option on the Series2s. Those of you upscaling VCRs or DVD players should have encountered this issue.

19. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    The Onkyo TX-SR674S 7.1 Channel Up-Converting A/V Receiver is on sale for $399 at Amazon with free shipping. Amazon claims the “regular price” is $799 but it usually retails for about $499 - $599 and in fact Fry's has it on sale for $449 this weekend. The receiver has full HDMI upconversion (including 1080p).

Review on C|net (8.4 out of 10).

From the review:
    EDIT: I see Amazon has raised the price back up to $449 as of today (08/27/07) :(

20. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I would like to ask a related question -

Are there any devices without audio amplification that will do the same?