Do any of the movie stations run OAR?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by innocentfreak, Jun 18, 2011.

1. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I just signed up for hbo since fios is offering 3 months free just in time for true blood. Does hbo or cinemax or any movie station these days run every movie in the original aspect ratio? I know in the past hbo was supposed to be one of the worst with regards to open matte and cropped movies but I can't find any local references whether this is still the case.

2. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    It's been my experience that Starz Cinema will occasionally run movies in almost OAR. Recently aired one of the LoTRs in what looked to be close to 2.35:1. The HD channels will run films in widescreen, but not necessarily OAR.

DirecTV has a bundle of channels: SONYHD, MGMHD and UHD that air films that are closest to OAR.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Lots of them do it some of the time, but as a rule? I dunno... HDNet Movies? TCM?

4. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Well-Known Member

May 10, 1999
    I think Showtime is the only one that usually does OAR. HBO reformats everything to 16:9 (cropping or open-matte depending on the original).

Between this and the general lack of selection, I gave up movie stations in favor of Netflix (and now also Redbox) many years ago. IMO premium channels are only worth subscribing for their original programming, if you don't want to wait for the Blu-ray/DVD to come out for those.

5. Tivo_60

Tivo_60 NY State of Mind

Jun 13, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    EPIX runs almost all in close to OAR.