Do all Series 3s hook up over-the-air antenna?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by pos1, Dec 2, 2011.

1. pos1

pos1 New Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Current - analog tv, converter, Tivo Series 2 w/lifetime

Going to - digital HD tv, no converter, NEED(?) to buy HD Tivo

Looking at used Series 3 Tivos. I vaguely remember when I bought my Series 2 that I needed a specific Series 2 model to hook up over-the-air (to an antenna). Maybe I'm remembering that incorrectly.

Short story - Do all Series 3 or Premiere Tivos hook up over-the-air out of the box? I don't want to buy one and find it only works with cable or satellite.

Another question - I'm pretty sure I will be required to buy a new Tivo. Tivo has indicated my Series 2 will be able to continue to record from the SD channels, but as far as I can tell those stations don't even exist any more.

2. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Yes, all Series 3s (both the original and TiVo HD) and TiVo Premieres allow OTA.

3. Ed_Hunt

Ed_Hunt Pokerpro

Jan 2, 2004
    Patterson,...
    Yes they do, and you are right as far as a new Tivo. If you are buying an HDTV, it doesn't make sense to have anything less than a series 3.

4. Ed_Hunt

Ed_Hunt Pokerpro

Jan 2, 2004
    Patterson,...
    One caution, the new Elite 4 Tuner doesn't support over the air.

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    All Series 3 model Tivos support OTA.
    Only the Premiere & Premiere XL support OTA.
    The Premiere Elite is digital cable only.

The Series 2 can only tune/record analog signals. SD can be analog or digital. If the signal is digital, you need a digital to analog converter.

6. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You could continue to use your series 2 and over the air converter with your HDTV. It should work the same as your analog TV. You can split the coax cable from your antenna and run one lead directly to the HDTV and one lead to the converter. That way you can watch live TV in HD, but the shows recorded on the S2 will be SD. Some of your OTA digital sub-channels may be broadcast in SD anyway. Some HDTVs do a good job of up scaling the picture from SD inputs, while others do not.

7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Series 3, HD/XL and Premiere will get OTA without a digital converter box and record from 2 channels at once, also supports cable, no satellite/DirecTV.

Series 2, except for the dual tuner model, must use a digital converter box. Dual tuner is a cable only, (and satellite?).

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The S2 dual tuner is also analog only. It can record analog cable as is, but it requires a digital converter for the digital channels.
    Also, satellite is not supported although some people have been able to make it work with certain satellite receivers using an alternative lineup during guided setup.