1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do all Romio OTA's have Lifetime service?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by kkoh, Oct 11, 2018.

1. kkoh

kkoh Member

Mar 31, 2017
    oHIo
    See title ;)

2. kkoh

kkoh Member

Mar 31, 2017
    oHIo
    Nevermind... I dug deeper....

So why is TiVo selling renewed ones? Are there a lot of problems or should I feel safer buying used off of eBay for less?

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I have a "renewed" Roamio OTA purchased from TiVo and it's been fine. From all appearances, it was new or as-new (no scratches or scuffs, all feet pads there, power cord still wrapped and as if it never had been unwrapped, etc.). Most reports here have reported satisfaction. (And keep in mind: you always have a 30-day return period if matters are otherwise, with TiVo picking up the return shipping.)

For me, I felt more comfortable purchasing a refurb from TiVo, which had a return policy as well as regular warranty, than buying used.

unclehonkey likes this.
  4. TIV0`

TIV0` New Member

Mar 28, 2018
    I bought one from Tivo refurbished with lifetime service for $199 in November of 2016, use it everyday and there have been no problems. They had a similar sale in November 2017.

unclehonkey likes this.
  5. kkoh

kkoh Member

Mar 31, 2017
    oHIo
    Currently weighing the pros/cons of grabbing one of these or waiting for a lifetime transfer sale for my older S3-HD and the Bolt OTA...

6. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Active Member

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    I've purchased 2 renewed Roamios and no issue with either. (although one is decommissioned due to getting the 2nd one with lifetime) :)

The lifetime transfer sale may not happen for a while. We just had one a couple months ago. I still use my TivoHD daily

7. kkoh

kkoh Member

Mar 31, 2017
    oHIo
    So two Roamios on the same network can play one another's recordings? If so, does it require the coax networking or will it work over hardwired Ethernet?

What about a Premiere and a Roamio?

8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Yep, and either. And some people are able to network their boxes and share/play shows over wireless (a big YMMV)--a robust wireless network helps. As well as, over a Powerline network.

I also can play a recording between a Roamio and my Series 2 box (by transferring the show from my Roamio to the Series 2 and playing it once the transfer has begun). I don't recall if the Premiere requires a transfer to be initiated.

kkoh likes this.
  9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Premieres, Roamios and BOLTs can stream content between each other — and Minis can stream content from any of these DVRs, as well, though 2-tuner Premieres cannot be configured as a Mini’s host DVR.

More info...

MRS and Mini whole home streaming officially require Ethernet or MoCA wired network connections for the boxes involved.

tim1724 and kkoh like this.
  10. kkoh

kkoh Member

Mar 31, 2017
    oHIo
    Wait... I have a S3/HD -- If I add a Roamio or Premier OTA capable somewhere else in the house on hard wired ethernet I would be able to use MRV to grab HD recordings from one of those devices on the HD? Nice!

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I have a renewed lifetime Roamio OTA($200) and a renewed lifetime Roamio Basic($300) that I gave to my GF. They have been working great for years. As has the Roamio Basic I use for OTA. That I got in 2013. (only $6.95 monthly)
    All have been upgraded to larger hard drives.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, correct, though MRV does not require a wired network connection — though it would still be recommended, if possible, both to improve speed and reliability, and to preserve wireless bandwidth for devices that have no other option.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  13. kkoh

kkoh Member

Mar 31, 2017
    oHIo
    Yes... I wired the whole house up so every room has at least one CAT6 port available. The $1M question is how long does it take to initiate and start watching an HD show from the S3/HD side. That's to say, assuming I grab a Roamio or Premiere for the living room and move the HD into our master and we want to watch something from the S4/S5 at night, is it a long process?

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    p.s. ... though check the fine print in the above MRV how-to article regarding copy-protected content. Copy-protected content can NOT be transferred between boxes, just streamed.

15. kkoh

kkoh Member

Mar 31, 2017
    oHIo
    ...and HD/s3 can't stream? I'm strictly OTA so it's network shows and PBS if that matters.

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You can begin watching as soon as the transfer begins, which is probably sufficient for most viewing. I don’t have any experience on how long it takes to transfer a program to a S3HD, but having a wired network connection will help.

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Correct, per above articles.

It helps. OTA content is almost never copy-protected.