Do all Humax DRT-400's have Basic Service?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by danstyk, Aug 2, 2007.

1. danstyk

danstyk New Member

Feb 20, 2006

Advertisements

Hi, fairly new member, but I've had a Tivo series 2 for almost 5 years now. I want to add another tivo for the bedroom and can survive with just basic service, as I just want to be able to record a couple of programs regularly.

I've seen some Humax DRT-400's on eBay that look good, some of which say they have Tivo Basic, and some that do not, or the seller does not know. Does anyone know definitively if the DRT-400s DO have basic service, or only some of them? If only some, how can I tell? By the TSN?

Thanks in advance! I love browsing these forums and did not find an answer after a few searches.

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    My DRT-800 does not offer Basic and I have seen posts by others saying that none of the Humax units offer TiVo Basic, but that the Pioneer and Toshiba do. If an eBay seller is saying that a Humax does, he may be lying, so be very careful. Keep in mind that an eBay unit, might be one being sold with a fully paid up lifetime subscription. If so, that is worth a lot. I would still be careful, I have heard of eBay sellers calling TiVo Basic a lifetime subscription when it is nothing of the sort.

CuriousMark

3. danstyk

danstyk New Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Thanks Mark. Usually they make a distinction between lifetime basic and lifetime plus, but it is a very important distinction. The Humax website says nothing about this unit, and current units don't have basic.

This item has such a claim: ebay Item number: 250150385456

I think I'm best off avoiding these, and maybe going for a series one unit with full lifetime.

4. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    As I said, go for the Toshiba or Pioneer if you want Basic. Otherwise they are almost identical to the Humax. I really like the DVD burner, it beats the daylights out of TiVoToGo and burning DVDs on a computer. It also, being a high quality DVD player, eliminated an entire box from my A/V stack.

My Humax has been flawless for nearly two years now. It is a very good unit. So in my opinion it is worth subscribing to the service, but I can understand the need to stay cheap. If you can live with a restricted guide and no online features, go for basic.

5. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...

Advertisements

To be crystal clear *NO* Humax unit includes TiVo Basic. It was *never* a feature on any Humax branded TiVo.

All Toshiba and Pioneer units include TiVo Basic, and that's it - no other TiVo has it.

Humax units require a subscription to work, or they're doorstops.