Do actors get set in your mind with a certain role?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by longrider, Jan 15, 2020.

1. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO

Advertisements

Am I the only one that connects an actor with a certain role? I am not talking about famous roles like William Shatner will always be Captain Kirk but minor roles. This just hit me Sunday when on God Friended Me they had this Alphonse character and my first reaction was Thats J'onn J'onzz father! (Supergirl) I looked it up and sure enough Carl Lumbly who played Alphonse also played M'yrnn J'onzz. A couple others are anytime i see Michael Emerson I think of Harold Finch in Person of Interest and Zachary Quinto makes me remember Sylar in Heroes. Anybody else have this issue?

2. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Just saw Joelle Carter as a patient on Chicago Med and first thought was that's Ava Crowder from Justified.

justen_m and photoshopgrl like this.
  3. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    Opie will always be Opie.

4. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    I was watching a rerun of the TNG episode where criminals were on the Enterprise during a baryon sweep. When I saw Tim Russ as one of the criminals, I exclaimed "Tuvok!".

kaszeta and Mikeguy like this.
  5. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...

Advertisements

Opie Taylor or Opie Winston?

6. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    Taylor.

7. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Often, yes.

8. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Sometimes. There are just so many iconic roles that you can't help think of the character when you see the actor.

Some of them, for me, are because the character freaked me out so much that whenever I would see that actor again it was that character. One that always comes to mind for me was the actor who played the character who terrorized and intended to rape Edith Bunker. He scared the hell out of me. He's long gone but I could never see him again as anybody else.

A lot of tv show characters are really hard to separate from the actor. With the 'Friends' actors I will probably always see those characters and there are a number of other shows for which this applies for me. I think getting pigeonholed is the worst possible thing for actors.

9. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Sure

Sulu will always be Sulu

Oh my..

Mikeguy and Beryl like this.
  10. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    [​IMG]

cwerdna, jcondon and jsmeeker like this.
  11. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    David Dukes. I met him in NYC during a high school senior trip in 1976. Nicest guy you'd ever want to meet.

sharkster likes this.
  12. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Lots of them do. Especially long running TV characters. Kelsey Grammer, most of the Friends... Jerry Seinfeld. ;)

13. Doggie Bear

Doggie Bear Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Pacific...
    I'm sure there are actors who fall into this category for me, but on the flip side is Walton Goggins -- Shane Vendrell and Boyd Crowder are each so distinctive and memorable that it wouldn't be surprising if Goggins had been typecast that way, and yet he inhabits each role so perfectly that I never found myself thinking of the other character.

14. Snappa77

Snappa77 RUDEBWOY

Feb 14, 2004
    BOSTON
    It took me a loooong time to not see Raymond Reddington from "Blacklist" as Alan Shore from "Boston Legal/ The Practice".

Now it's vice versa. Caught a few clips of Boston Legal on YouTube and all I could see was Reddington. Either way props to Spader for both of those memorable characters.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  15. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I feel this way about some actors. I'm not sure if it's because the character was so great or because the acting of that character was so great that it dwarfs all other roles. Snappa77 talked about Spader on Boston Legal/Blacklist, which is funny because I never thought I'd be able to see Shatner as anything other than Captain Kirk but now after BL all I see is. Denny. Crane. He'll never have another role for me.

There are also characters I have loved so much that I feared I wouldn't appreciate the actors in anything else and was proven wrong. Timothy Olyphant was so great in Justified and then Deadwood (yes I watched backwards) and I never saw the other in either of his characters. Then I thought maybe he was just going to be type of character, hat wearing lawman. Then I started watching Santa Clarita Diet and was reminded of all his roles I loved before Justified and realized he can pull me into any character he plays.

On the flip side of him is Walton Goggins. I love him and I'll watch him in anything but I am always longing for Boyd in every character he plays.

16. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    The one I've having trouble with right now is Morris Chestnut. I'm so used to seeing him as a "good guy" that it's always jolting to see him as a reprehensible character on current episodes of The Resident.

LlamaLarry and justen_m like this.
  17. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    The guy who played Warden Norton in Shawshank (he's been in tons of things and I don't know his name) will always be Warden Norton. Whenever he shows up in something my wife and I are watching I'll say. "look, it's the warden".

kaszeta likes this.
  18. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    He's Benjamin Linus on Lost.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  19. jasrub

jasrub Member

May 9, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Opie Cunningham

20. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Bob Gunton. I remember saying, “Hey, it’s warden Norton” during The Perfect Storm