DIY 10TB Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by jmbach, Nov 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Nov 17, 2018 #1 of 115
    jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    It is now possible to create a 10TB Roamio from your current Roamio image as long as it is 4TB or less in size. I need to create a tool to make it so one does not have to manually hex edit the hard drive. When that is done, I will post the complete instructions. Here are some images.

20181116_105735.jpg 20181116_103632.jpg

rtoledo, LegoZ, Rey and 11 others like this.
  2. Nov 17, 2018 #2 of 115
    jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Instructions to create an internal drive larger than 4 TB and keep all your recordings. Please read in its entirety before doing anything. Also note this has only been verified to work on the Encore (TE3) interface. It should work on the Hydra/Mira (TE4) interface but no guarantees at this time.

I have not examined Weaknees drives so I cannot comment if this will work on those drives. It should work on MFSR created drives based on my conversations with ggeseike the creator of MFSR.

First download the MFSTools 3.3-devel ISO.

If your drive is 4 TB or larger, clone it to the new drive via your favorite cloning method and skip the mfscopy part of the instructions which I put in italics. If it is less than 4 TB use MFSTools to copy it to the new drive.

Boot the ISO with your drives hooked up to your computer.

Once logged into the ISO using username root with password tivo, determine what the names of your drives are. Easiest way is to type lsblk -o name,size,vendor at the command line.

Here sdX is your source drive and sdY is your target drive.
    Run the command mfscopy -am 2000 /dev/sdX /dev/sdY and then patiently wait.

Once that command is finished or the cloning of your drive is finished, put the target drive into the TiVo and make sure it boots up properly and make sure it connects to TiVo successfully.

Once that is done, return the drive to your computer. Your source drive is no longer needed and can to be disconnected from the computer. Will still use sdY for the target drive.

Reverify the target drive name by using the command lsblk -o name,size,vendor.

Next run the command mfsadd -xm 2000 /dev/sdY.
    Once that runs successfully then run the command mfsaddfix /dev/sdY.
    When that command is finished, I recommend that you verify it boots up in your TiVo successfully before repeating the commands to be on the safe side, however, it has worked without doing so.

Each mfsadd command followed by mfsaddfix command adds 2 TB of recording space to the drive and you can do that up to 3 times. So repeat those two command until you have run out of space or have run them 3 times.

If you happen to add more space than is available to add with mfsadd, mfsaddfix will reset the APM to remove the added partitions. Then when you put the drive back into the TiVo, it will ask that you divorce the external drive. Go ahead and do so.

If you are experiencing any issues after the process, run a kickstart 58 on boot up. Some people are experiencing connection issues such that the connection does not complete and this seems to resolve it. I would stay away from kickstart 57 as I invariably get a green screen boot loop. MFSTools can help you recover from this in most circumstances.

There are no warranties or guarantees with these images and I take no responsibility for anything that happens using these images or loss of recordings that could happen by using these tools. You are logged in as root so you could do dangerous things to your system if you are not careful. Be aware that TiVo could change their OS in the future that may cause loss of recordings because of the drive being expanded. If there are any issues with these files let me know and I will see what I can do.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    LegoZ, net lander, apsarkis and 5 others like this.
  3. Nov 19, 2018 #3 of 115
    Cybernut

Cybernut Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Fantastic! Just in time for Best Buy's Black Friday special pricing on WD Easystore 10TB.
    Kudos to you jmbach for doing it again :)

4. Nov 19, 2018 #4 of 115
    Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Wow!

5. Nov 19, 2018 #5 of 115
    jlin

jlin Member

Nov 20, 1999
    Santa Monica
    My current drive is 6TB. So does that mean 10Tb is only possible as a newly formatted drive and I have to manually copy the programs over?

6. Nov 19, 2018 #6 of 115
    jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    There might be a way but you would have to be the Guinea pig. I was going to test my idea but my 6TB spare drive is now dead.

I only tested it on a 4TB image.

7. Nov 23, 2018 #7 of 115
    tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Very nice. Not sure I full understand though, is it possible to copy/expand a current 4TB drive with recordings to the 10TB? With recordings/settings intact?

8. Nov 23, 2018 #8 of 115
    jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Yes. We may be able to go higher but I do not know how MFSTools will interact with a MFSR formatted drive larger than 4TB. Was going to test it with my 6TB drive, but it died. So until I get a replacement or someone else is willing to test it, we won't know for sure.

tommage1 likes this.
  9. Nov 23, 2018 #9 of 115
    tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Maybe. I got one of those 10TB Easystores from BB, being shipped so might take awhile. Wow, if I can copy/expand my 4TB Roamios on to 10TB drives, well I guess I could record almost forever (as I have 5 Roamios). My 4TBs were not formatted by MFSR, they were copy/expanded from smaller drives using MFSTools though so not sure if would be valid for your test.

What about Bolts for 10TB? Don't even care about copying recordings, would start fresh (external of course). I think the limit is 8TB with MFSR?

10. Nov 23, 2018 #10 of 115
    jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    I know it works with the MFStools expanded drive so we are good there. Hopefully today I can work on an app to automate the hex editing of the drive to make the process more streamlined.

In theory, it should work for Bolts as well. However with the latest TE4 update, some self upgraded drives became unusable stuck on the starting up screen. TE3 user interface does not seem to be affected. However, I have not tested this configuration.

11. Nov 23, 2018 #11 of 115
    tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Yes, the Bolt is strange as you know. I know some people had problems with those internal drives after the update. Which MIGHT be SMR, that 4TB 2.5 WD for one, no one REALLY knows if it's SMR or PMR, WD couldn't even tell me. Has anyone reported a problem with a KNOWN PMR drive after update? Maybe I'll scan the threads, when/if I decide to use a Bolt again for sure I will be using an external 3.5 PMR drive hooked up direct to the Bolt motherboard. The people that got "stuck", I wonder if doing a low level format on the drive then letting the Bolt reformat it would help? Even if it works no guarantee a future update would not break it again though................

12. Nov 25, 2018 #12 of 115
    tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    I'll be watching the area you reserved for updates. My one Tivo that is still used with cable has a nearly full 4TB. If I can copy and expand it to 8 or 10TB I will probably do it. I also have a Roamio with an 8TB created fresh with MFSR (well it was fresh, now has a lot of recordings). Since it was created with MFSR it may work for that test of over 4TB, copy and expand the MFSR 8TB to 10TB?

13. Nov 25, 2018 #13 of 115
    jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    What is the model of the TiVo that is still used with cable.

And yes, your MFSR created Roamio would work for my test. After discussing with ggieseke how MFSR creates its layout, I am fairly certain it will work.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    tommage1 likes this.
  14. Nov 25, 2018 #14 of 115
    tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    The cable/4Tb Tivo is a Roamio Plus. The MFSR 8TB Roamio is a "basic" or whatever they like to call it, 4 tuner, cable and OTA. The 10TB EasyStore will be arriving middle of the week. I will check it to make sure it has a WD 10TB helium inside.

15. Dec 28, 2018 #15 of 115
    tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    I am watching here, have 8 and 10TB drives ready to test. I assume will have to download new version of MFS tools? Am curious what could be done now, requiring hex editing, though I have not done that before perhaps with instructions?

16. Dec 28, 2018 #16 of 115
    jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    I almost have the program to automate the hex edits completed. In the meantime, since your drives are already 4TB or larger, I would clone the drives to your target drives.

17. Dec 28, 2018 #17 of 115
    tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Ok, the possible plan is to copy and expand a nearly full current 4TB drive to the 8TB. And possibly copy and expand an 8TB which was created with MFSR fresh (at the time, now half full) to the 10TB. Both Roamios, one "basic" one "plus". So I could clone both now (the 4 to 8 and the 8 to 10) with current MFSTools or a dock, then finish up later when the new version is ready?

18. Dec 28, 2018 #18 of 115
    jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Yes, I would clone the drives and not use MFSTools as it will not go over 4TB and it would take much longer to copy the 4 TB to the 8 TB drive than clone it.

I have discussed MFSR formatted drives and the same process should work.

Do not expand the drives at this time with MFSTools because if you place an expanded drive in your TiVo with the modifications, it will reformat the drive.

19. Dec 28, 2018 #19 of 115
    tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Actually I think I will wait for the update as my current drives are constantly changing, when I do the copy/expands I would want what is on them at the time to be copied to the new drives :) Thanks, no rush.

20. Dec 28, 2018 #20 of 115
    jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    All you have to do is clone the drives and use the clones in your TiVos.