Distributed Video with D* and HD TiVo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by SonicRanger001, Jan 18, 2006.

1. SonicRanger001

SonicRanger001 New Member

Nov 4, 2005

Advertisements

So I'm rewiring my new/old house and plan on running coax and cat 5 all over etc. Anyway I plan (maybe) on running 4 coax lines to where I'm going to mount my dish, from there they're run to the basement where I plan on installing a media box (houses Cat5, phone, cable etc.) Sooo my question is: If I run those 4 lines to the dish (triple LNB of course) and then down to my media box and from there through an amplified 5x8 multi-switch to each of the 4 rooms I plan on wanting to have TiVo/D* access, WILL I be able to get two tuner function as well as HD if I do this?

If you have experience with distributed video systems etc. I'd appreciate your input. I do understand that this is "technically" not distributed video, actually its distributed satellite signal...but the concept is similar.

I completely understand all the concepts of coax cable, wiring etc. and understand the setup of the dish etc. I just don't know if what I want to do will work OR if I have to run direct lines from the dish to my HD Tivo.

Thanks for your help

2. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    You have to run separate coax lines to each satellite tuner either directly from the dish, or if you exceed 4 coax lines, through a multiswitch with the desired number of output ports. In your case you would run dedicated lines from your 5X8 multiswitch to your receivers.

3. jcricket

jcricket New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    For right now you seem to be on the right track (as follows):

1) Run 4 coax wires from where you plan on putting the dish to the central location
    2) Run a separate coax from where you plan to put the OTA antenna to the same location
    3) Plug all five wires into a powered 5x8 multiswitch
    4) Wire two coax runs out to each TV location
    5) At each TV location, use a diplexor ($15) to split the satellite and OTA on one of the runs.
    6) Plug in the two satellite wires (one from the diplexor) and one OTA wire to the HD Tivo.
    7) The HDTivo splits the OTA signal internally to get two OTA tuners.
    8) Enjoy your dual tuner functionality.

Now, from what I've read, the new AT9 5-LNB dish (used for MPG4 satellite locals and new national HD channels down the road) cannot use this 5x8 multiswitch/diplexor situation. You still have runs of coax to a central location for satellite, and then you use a 4x8 (or 4x12) multiswitch to send out satellite signals to 8 one-tuner satellite receivers or 4 dual-tuner satellite receivers.

The OTA signal, however, must go directly to the receiver, not through the same multiswitch. You could still send the OTA run to the central location, but you'd have to use a different splitter and send a third run to each TV location for OTA HD.

I didn't anticipate this (I have a situation like the bulleted list above). So my plan is to keep my HD Tivo for now (my OTA reception is OK). But I'm really hoping D*s new HR20 is a good product as I'd like to keep getting HD down the road, and I'm not re-wiring my house again. Assuming the DVR from D* is a good one, I'll just give up OTA.

Note: The HD Tivo cannot receive MPG4 locals, but the H10 and forthcoming HR20 from D* will.

4. BlueMonk

BlueMonk New Member

Oct 8, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I have a distributed Elan system with two of the sources are video -- a D-tivo and a standard DirecTV receiver. Then I have a HDTivo in my family room. The family room setup works great and I have two tuner funcionality on both the DTivo and my HDTivo. One problem is that I have to be careful with the remote. It can sometimes work the regular D-Tivo when I am actually trying to control just the HD-Tivo. This can be dangerous when deleting a program... or when my wife is watching the DTivo in another room.

5. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...

Advertisements

You need to assign different remote codes to each receiver. Your manual has instructions. Just cover the ir receiver window on the receiver who's code you do not want to change while you are assigning the code to the other receiver; then, vice-versa.

6. BlueMonk

BlueMonk New Member

Oct 8, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks AJ. I thought I was warning the original poster of a potential problem. Didn't realize there was a solution. I will get out the manual and give it a shot.

7. JTAnderson

JTAnderson Active Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Redondo...
    I'd suggest having at least 5 coax runs to your distribution point. If or when you need to switch to the new 5-LNB dish, you will no longer be able to diplex an antenna onto the sat cables.

8. jcricket

jcricket New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    If (as I mentioned), you're worried about the diplexing situation you need 5 runs to the distribution point and 3 runs to each TV (if you want a dual-tuner DVR with OTA HD in each location).

9. SonicRanger001

SonicRanger001 New Member

Nov 4, 2005
    Thanks alot, I was pretty confident I was on the right track but what else is the point of the forums, to ask questions and get good answers!!!