Distracting 3D shots in primetime

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by chocophile, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1 of 12
    chocophile

chocophile New Member

Dec 26, 2007
    First, a confession: I don't have a 3D HDTV. But 3D is affecting my viewing anyway. I've seen it most jarringly in some CBS dramas, like Unforgettable and The Mentalist, to name a couple.

You see it in establishing shots down an alley, with the corner of a building in the foreground, or a long shot down a hallway, with a door frame in view.

You see it in the detective's bullpen. A conversation that last year would have used a two camera shot switching back and forth between speakers now includes the listener's shoulder in the foreground on one side of the frame.

This jars me out of suspension of disbelief mode and forces me to think about the choice of camera angles in the scene.

Is anyone else bothered by the obtrusive use of 3D angles?

I know the TV makers want to give early adopters something to justify their purchase. But suddenly, the producers of prime time programming have fallen into the same trap that gave us a lot of bad 50's cinema. Everyone is using 3D because they can, whether it adds to the story or not. In most cases, it doesn't add to the story. It's a distraction.

If it's a natural part of the scene, take advantage of it. Otherwise, get over your new toy and focus on storytelling!

2. Oct 5, 2011 #2 of 12
    dfergie

dfergie Member

Aug 27, 2006
    The shows you mention are not offered in 3D ...

3. Oct 5, 2011 #3 of 12
    Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    oh snap

4. Oct 5, 2011 #4 of 12
    phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Wondering if the networks are secretly testing 3D, thus the different camera shots and angles?

phox

5. Oct 5, 2011 #5 of 12
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I'm baffled by the post. It's like it's from a parallel reality and somehow just crossed over and now makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

6. Oct 5, 2011 #6 of 12
    mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I think I'm with you. I can honestly say I don't get it. to each his own but I really don't see how a shot of any kind can take you out of a scene simply because it *might* be done that way to enhance a 3D screen (but like someone else mentioned, I don't think network prime time shows are even offered and definitely aren't shot in 3D).

I've watched Avatar and other "shot in 3D" movies on TV a bunch of times and it's never registered that something should be 3D but isn't--it's just not 3D on my screen.

7. Oct 5, 2011 #7 of 12
    andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Well I have just watched both show's latest episodes using Panasonic's 2D-3D conversion (for the first time) and dont get it.
    Yes out of focus foreground does add depth it doesn't enhance the 3D experience. If anything it takes away since its edge material.

8. Oct 5, 2011 #8 of 12
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Well, if you have a 4:3 screen, things shown nowadays are either letterboxed (if shown properly) on your screen... or more likely, zoomed in, so you lose a significant portion of the picture.

So if something isn't taped "4:3 safe" (do they still do that?), watching a "widescreen" TV show could be distracting to some.

I can imagine that sort of complaint for those who make the next leap to doing "3D capable" TV shows.... not that I really agree with it, since it's sort of the same as an anti-letterboxing argument..

9. Oct 5, 2011 #9 of 12
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I guess I'll have to add my voice to the "huh?" crowd. If I understand what the OP is describing, it's nothing new at all, but it's something that has been selectively/sparingly used recently.

The reason has nothing to do with 3D - it's because everything was still being framed for 4:3, even if it was a widescreen show, so that the show could easily be cropped down to 4:3 for those viewers. Now, directors (and DPs, directors of photography) are more easily able to use the full 16:9 frame, thanks to a much greater adoption of widescreen televisions, coupled with a greater adoption of "Active Field Description," allowing automatic switching to letterboxing on 4:3 transmissions, when appropriate.

This includes shots like the OP describes, an "over the shoulder," with one person's shoulder in the foreground in one part of the frame, having the other person as the main focus in another part of the frame, without having either feel crowded out by the other, as would have happened with a similar shot in 4:3.

10. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hi, what is this?

11. chocophile

chocophile New Member

Dec 26, 2007
    I guess I didn't do my homework before posting. I didn't know that the shows aren't available in 3D. I wonder if Phox might be on to something, though. Perhaps the shows will be released in 3D on blu-ray, and that's why they've shot them that way.

At any rate, the phenomenon does seem more obtrusive to me than it has in past seasons. Maybe I'm just tuned into it and see it more often, when I wouldn't have noticed it in the past.

12. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I watch both shows mentioned in the OP and have no idea whet he's talking about.