Distorted sound on CNET podcasts

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by A J Ricaud, Feb 10, 2012.

1. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    Ever since I cancelled TWC and removed the CableCards from my S3 I get scratchy, distorted sound on CNET podcasts. I re-ran guided setup for antenna only and my internet connection is via wired Ethernet. I previously subscribed to the CNET podcasts and they all sound fine.

Oddly, after re-running guided setup The CNET podcasts stopped recording automatically so I started them over again. This time it made a new folder but the podcasts have the distorted sound. The old ones sound fine except for a very few, which are distorted.

I tried restarting the Tivo but it didn't help. Also, I now don't get the "beeps" when maneuvering, selecting and skipping through programs. A reboot didn't help. The sounds are turned on in the "settings" menu.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. Fab2004

Fab2004 New Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Follow this procedure (odd as it may seem).

1. download one podcast of "Mayor at the Movies"
    2. play it for a few seconds
    3. go back to the CNET podcast and the audio is now OK.

I have the same issue you describe after streaming from Netflix, and the Mayor Koch podcast fixes it.

Good luck!

3. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    Wow! That worked!! Thanks, Fab

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Time for someone from New York to make a joke about Mayor Koch actually fixing something?

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I don't remember hearing scratchy audio, but one thing I notice about the CNET podcasts is that the audio is CRANKED UP WAY LOUD. I always have to turn my TV way lower than usual.

And this may have been a S3 vs TivoHD thing (my S3 is currently dead), but in the long CNET podcasts that had a break in the middle (I forget, the weekly one that's 99% reruns of other separate podcasts), the audio AFTER the break often was missing. I think they may have stopped doing this one, plus I think the problem seemed to have gone away at some point.. (now, I bet it'll be back)

Another random rant. "download all episodes" sure doesn't seem to really do it. It seems like the podcast downloader checks once or something, and downloads a few, but doesn't always download all of them.. so I have to check past episodes fairly frequently.

Also, if I watch and delete a podcast, it will often RE-DOWNLOAD THE SAME ONE. Now, this is often one I had originally downloaded a week or more earlier..

6. dcstager

dcstager 1st Gen Tivo Owner

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    The CNET podcasts use MP2 audio. It's probably your amplifier. I have to turn mine off and on again to playback CNETs stuff. My amp seems to expect AC3 audio from the digital output of the Tivo and doesn't switch modes when the MP2 audio comes down the pipe.