Display your HD-Tivo Setup....

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ebonovic, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Apr 22, 2004 #1 of 188
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Lets use this thread to show off pictures of your HD-Tivo and HD-Theater setup.

I will post mine later tonight when it is all hooked up (no option to play hookey today).

2. Apr 23, 2004 #2 of 188
    ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Here we go:

The happy couple:
    [​IMG]

The entire family:
    [​IMG]

The family house:
    [​IMG]

The Window:
    [​IMG]

3. Apr 23, 2004 #3 of 188
    kittycarole

kittycarole New Member

Apr 11, 2004
    rancho...
    nice pics earl.... btw, has anyone ever told you that you look like the lead singer of green day?

4. Apr 23, 2004 #4 of 188
    Toeside

Toeside Circa Dec 2005

Feb 14, 2002
    St Louis, MO
    Nice pics. Your pictures prove something, to me anyway. I think the new Philips DTiVo has a much nicer, classier enclosure than what DirecTV picked for the HD TiVo.

Granted, it isn't the case that matters, it's *what's on the inside that counts*. :D

Craig

5. Apr 23, 2004 #5 of 188
    ayrton911

ayrton911 F1 TiVo

Sep 4, 2000
    USA
    Very nice ebonovic. I'm jealous!

6. Apr 23, 2004 #6 of 188
    ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Thanks for the comments...
    And that jealousy fades when you see the credit card statement :D

As for the singer of Green Day?.... That is a first :)

7. Apr 23, 2004 #7 of 188
    TimGoodwin

TimGoodwin Need to time shift!

Jun 20, 2003
    Maryland
    Nice clean setup! Must not have any kids huh?

8. Apr 23, 2004 #8 of 188
    pdoyle

pdoyle New Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Plano, TX
    ebonovic,
    While I'm of course jealous that you have the HDTivo and the gorgeous plasma display I have to say that the cords have gotta go! How could you spend so much money on the equip and not do a little drywall work to clean up the installation? Sorry, I don't mean to rain on your parade. The setup is very nice. I'm just curious.

9. Apr 23, 2004 #9 of 188
    ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Actually I have a 2 1/2 yr little boy.

Both cabinet doors have locking tot-locks... Down on the fireplace edging their is grey padding.

Just out of the picture in the bottom right, is his big stuffed Bear chair, from Bear in the Big Blue House.

And... I spent about 15 minutes cleaning the fireplace edge off of all his toys before snapping the shots.... :D

I can tell you two things though:

Having the TV 5ft off the ground where he can't touch it...
    And having the locking Audio Cabinet so he can't touch it...
    PRICELESS beyond belief..

10. Apr 23, 2004 #10 of 188
    ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Actually, and the cables are hidden in the wall, as well as the power supply for the plasma (they are all tucked up behind the screen).

The cable you see there (primarily), is the 9ft HDMI->DVI cable that came with the HD-Tivo. I have a 15ft DVI in the PVC pipe that is running in the wall right now (see just to the right of the cabinet on the bottom). My converter didn't come in the shipment, but then again... I didn't ask for it until this Friday.

Once that arrives... That cable will be gone.

You can't see it well in the picture, but the speaker wires to the cabinet are soon to be wrapped, and the incomming signal cables (bottom left of the cabinet) are soon to be wrapped as well. My biggest problem... happened a year ago when having the house built.

I had the wall be hind the screen, double studded... Works great as I have 8 bolts into 4 different studs holding that TV up. However, the "wiring guy" if you call him that... (my builder wouldn't let me in to do it). Ran the PVC pipe too close to the fireplace on the bottom (it was supposed to be two more feet to the left)... But his biggest crime.

I have 5 incoming coax, 1 Phone, 1 Ethernet, 9 speakers (7 in the room, 2 outside), 2 sub woofs..... SPREAD ACCROSS 5 faceplates on two walls.
    Moron. I even gave him a diagram how it would have fit into 1 4 gang box, with a 4 Open Decora plate from Leviton.... Fixing it is an eventual project, just not one I want to right now... And he put the Center speaker wire... Way too high. :(

At least the electricians didn't screw up... They gave me my double gang - 4 plug outlet right in the corner as asked.

Cripies... this reply got a little long :) Sorry... not ranting... Just explaining what went on.

11. Apr 27, 2004 #11 of 188
    italia

italia New Member

Apr 27, 2004
    I read in the "Initial Impressions" thread that you have a 503CMX with the Aurora A303 and that is the same set up as my system.

I was hoping that you can give me as much detail as possible as to the setup for the new HD TiVo as I am expecting it to arrive any day now.

Here is a quick pic of my set up (yes, the picture was taken during Christmas, and no, I don't have those items out everyday).

Attached Files:

12. Apr 27, 2004 #12 of 188
    ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Nice Setup :)

As for the initial setup..... After setting up the unit itself, the connection to the TV was two steps... Disconnect old DVI, connect HDMI->DVI cable.
    That was it. I did not have to change any settings on the unit itself.

I have alwayse watched my SD Material via my SD Tivo, hooked in via S-Video. I usually leave it set on the TV to full mode. On same channels you see pixelation when you are right up against the screen, but at normal length it is very watchable.

Same with the HD Unit. When watching a non-OTA station, the SD material looks almost the same as material comming accross via the S-Video from the SD-Tivo. Maybe a little worse in some cases, as the DVI cable sends over more details and the display shows what it gets. But, I don't watch much SD via the HD-DTivo.

As for content via digital-OTA... The ratio's via HDTivo don't do anything to the picture. It stays at the ratio given by broadcaster. I still need to try the TV's ratio settings, (I haven't had the chance as 95% of what I have watched via HD-DTivo is HD-Letterbox programming).

I will try it soon for you.

IMHO: The Display Unit, Aurora Card, and HD-DTivo make a great family :) I am very very happy with all the hardware involved.

13. Apr 27, 2004 #13 of 188
    italia

italia New Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Thanks for the reply.

I have my SD-Tivo setup the same as you (S video, set to full mode) and I think the picture is a lot worse than anything coming through DVI. So much so that I would dread having to watch something through Tivo.

I was hoping that by having everything in one box that the less conversions would equal a better picture.

Good to hear that the HDTivo doesn't do anything to digital-OTA, but ya, see if you can play with the TVs ratio setings. I would be interested in what you find.

I have read that HD content through HD Tivo is darker on the display. Have you experienced that?

14. Apr 27, 2004 #14 of 188
    ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Not really, in my case...
    The image looks almost identical to what I was having with my Zenith SAT-520.

I will see if I can test the few scenerios above and let you know soon.

15. Apr 27, 2004 #15 of 188
    herdfan

herdfan New Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Hurricane, WV
    Nice setups for both of you. I have to ask though since you both have the TV's above the fireplaces, how is it to watch TV with it up quite a bit higher than you are sitting? It seems to me that it would almost be like sitting in the front 10 rows of a movie theater.

However, as ebonovic stated, keeping kids hands off the TV would be priceless. I went through almost an entire bottle of Monster Screen Cleaner one year due to my daughter thinking she could touch the characters on the screen.

16. Apr 27, 2004 #16 of 188
    ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Actually,
    It is not that hard.

The picture doesn't really show it well, but the TV is at about a 20ish degree slant downwards, it is not flush to the wall at the top.
    (Massive bracket in the back, specifically designed for Plasma's with an designed adapter for specific model TV... Solid construction, plus the TV is only like 75lb though).

So when sitting only 10ft away, it is easy to look up at it, barely a noticable increase in bending the neck.

60% of my TV viewing is while lying on one of the sofa's, or in a overstuffed chair that is about 20ft away. But when we watch it from the kitchen, you don't notice it's hight. And from up in the loft, you have to look down at it. but all the other rooms, it is just normal viewing.

And when I have an XBOX night, we tend to pull in some extra chairs from the kitchen to about 10ft in front of the TV... None of the players have complained about stiff necks or anything like that.

17. Apr 27, 2004 #17 of 188
    joegarrett

joegarrett FiOS Fan

Mar 17, 2004
    Dallas
    How come nobody else is displaying their setup. Come on I wanna see, I wanna see! :D

18. Apr 27, 2004 #18 of 188
    Dolfo

Dolfo Avid TV Watcher

Apr 24, 2003
    Southern Cali
    Nice, Earl. Now you need an all-in-one remote ;)

19. Apr 27, 2004 #19 of 188
    ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    :) had one (Pronto) sold-it (for a good penny too :) )

I found that the TiVo-Peanut did just about everything I needed it to do for normal daily usage.

I will get another some day, but for now... remote shuffle.

20. Apr 27, 2004 #20 of 188
    Mr Pieces

Mr Pieces TiVo Junkie

Mar 26, 2001
    Scottsdale,...
    As soon as I can get my 2 1/2 year old twins toys out of the way I will post a picture of my current setup. Just added a Denon 3805 Receiver, now if the HD Tivo ever gets here my setup will be complete!