Display for Tivo S3; What type output from S3 is Best?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by stahta01, Sep 13, 2006.

1. stahta01

stahta01 Simple Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Fort Wayne,...

Advertisements

I am thinking about getting Series 3 some time in the future, when I get the money and after I get an Display for it.

Am I right in thinking that HDMI output is better than Component (Y, Pb, Pr)?

I wish to be certain I get an display that works with Tivo S3 and get the best type of input.

Tim S

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    All the current HD sets should have a DVI or HDMI input as well as a component input.

3. eisenb11

eisenb11 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Redondo...
    You want a display with HDMI or DVI. Note that with DVI you'll need a little $30 DVI-to-HDMI converter.

If you're interested in understanding why these are better than component, here's a quicky explaination.

Your S3 gets digital data. Most modern HDTVs are also digital displays.

DVI/HDMI is a digital connector so if your TV has this:

1. you get digital in from the cable jack into your S3...
    2. digital out the S3 into your TV...
    3. your TV gets the digital from your S3 and puts the picture on the screen

Component is analog so this happens:

1. you get digital in from the cable jack into your S3...
    2. your S3 converts the digital signal into analog then sends it out the component
    3. your TV gets the analog signal, converts it to digital than displays it

With DVI/HDMI it's digital all the way through.

With component step (2) converts digital to analog. Step (3) converts analog back to digital.

Each time you convert the signal you lose quality.

So that's why DVI/HDMI is better than component in this case!

4. NOD

NOD Chim Richalds

Aug 26, 2006

In theory, HDMI should be superior to component, as it will transmit a digital signal, and it is generally considered preferable to get the digital-to-analog conversion as late in the signal transmission process as possible.

HOWEVER, the current iteration of HDMI can occasionally be a little buggy, and the PQ from component is frequently indistinguishable (and occasionally better than) from HDMI. Also, component can carry even up to a 1080p signal (obviously, this wouldn't be the case for s3, which maxes out at 1080i). Of course, all the folks that are sucking in your money for overpriced HDMI cables may tell you otherwise.

Caveat: Cnet review said they had some troubles transmitting some HD programming through component on the s3, and that they reported this to Tivo, who said this was NOT supposed to be the case., and that they would look into it. Presumably, it's just a minor bug that will be long solved by the time you get your HDTV.

My rule -- get as many hi-def inputs as possible. The more the better. :D That's why my latest TV has 2 DVI's, 1 HDMI, and 2 component inputs. The HD inputs add up quickly, though s3 will cut down that number by a little for those of us that have been using HD cable and OTA HD inputs separately.

5. eisenb11

eisenb11 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Redondo...

Advertisements

Nod, careful there.

Component is not HDCP compliant, so if, and when, they turn on HDCP anything coming out of the component is going to be turned into junk.

Go DVI/HDMI and be done with it. No point in messing around with component and confusing people over the technicalities of current implementation!

Also, HDMI/DVI is easier for technically-challenged people to figure out how to plug-in :D

6. NOD

NOD Chim Richalds

Aug 26, 2006

Oh, don't get me started on HDCP... :D

If and when HDCP and ICT get implemented -- sure, component isn't future-proof. But until HDMI 1.3 comes out and fixes some of the old HDMI issues, I'M NOT GIVIN' IN TO DA MAN!! ;)

7. stahta01

stahta01 Simple Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Fort Wayne,...
    Thank you all for the feedback, I was thinking of going HDMI or DVI, just wish to be sure it is better. I realize now that not all HDMI or DVI implementations may be done correctly. I already know that Component is not HDCP compliant.

Thanks again,
    Tim S

8. NOD

NOD Chim Richalds

Aug 26, 2006
    For all intents and purposes, ALL HDMI is HDCP compliant

Pretty much all TV's sold these days w/ DVI have HDCP-compliant DVI as well. Some earlier TV's had DVI inputs that weren't.

Otherwise, HDMI and DVI are essentially the same (except for the fact that HDMI obviously carries digital sound as well) -- hence the incredible ease w/ which HDMI-to-DVI cables can be used.

9. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    it is more dependent on your display as to which can look better. usually if you calibrate your inputs they probably will look equally as good. or at least then you can make a better choice as to which looks better to you.

just don't buy the overpriced/hyped cables. use monoprice.com they have good solid well built cables for great prices.

10. talmania

talmania New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    One other point worth mentioning is that HDMI can carry the audio signal as well. And seeing how the S3 will downconvert audio to PCM (which is most likely all that any display will be able to accept), you can run video and audio through one cable to the TV.

That may or may not be important to you if you always listen through surround speakers but speaking as one with children in the house (one 2 years old and another 3 months old) sometimes it's necessary to turn off the surround and just listen through the television's speakers.

11. eisenb11

eisenb11 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Redondo...
    Hey wait a minute... isn't buying a S3 that uses CableLabs technology giving into the man?!?! ;)

12. NOD

NOD Chim Richalds

Aug 26, 2006
    we all have our limits.:D

13. eisenb11

eisenb11 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Redondo...
    Lol :)

14. SoBayJake

SoBayJake Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    You might check ebay for a HDMI-DVI cable (not including audio).

I bought one recently for $4 plus $5 shipping, for a 10 ft cable. Don't buy one at Best Buy or the like, it will cost you a fortune.

15. NOD

NOD Chim Richalds

Aug 26, 2006
    everyone say it together -- monoprice.com

There is no better place to get great cables (AND switches, BTW) for a ridiculously good (and seemingly illegal) price.

16. eisenb11

eisenb11 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Redondo...
    Ya, I was in a hurry to get one and picked it up at Fry's.

Definately go to eBay or some online wholesaler if you have the time and don't forget about it until the unit arrives... like I did :D

17. SoBayJake

SoBayJake Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    For a regular site, they seem ok. But you can still shave a few dollars off their prices via ebay, for cables at least. I have never looked into a DVI or HDMI switch.

18. eisenb11

eisenb11 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Redondo...
    Every DVI/HDMI switch that's HDCP compliant that I've seen with more than 4 ports was priced pretty scary.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall 4 port switches generally being in the $300-$500 range.

19. SoBayJake

SoBayJake Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    If that's the case, then Monoprice.com is not bad..they have one (that is HDCP compliant) for $122. Amazon has some from 3rd party sellers in that range, or a OneCall for $350. :eek:

20. NOD

NOD Chim Richalds

Aug 26, 2006
    The 5-port HDMI switch at monoprice (with a remote) is GREAT.

edited to add -- and ridiculously cheap, of course. :D