Dispatches From Elsewhere [season] *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by KDeFlane, Feb 27, 2020.

1. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    {update:} I will ask a mod revise the topic title -- I should have marked it as being about early access to the first episode (which is no longer valid anyway).
    ---------------------------
    Early release of the first episode, available online streaming for FREE on AMC.com -- but only because it was attached to the end of an episode of The Walking Dead. I can confirm that you can skip ahead to the 45-minute mark (although I did so in increments and allowed all commercial breaks in the process).

episode title "Squeeze" [ link ]

I heard about it from this account, which is related to one community which played the original "experience" of The Jejune Institute in San Francisco (way back in 2008-2011).
    a tweet
    "For those of you who have been having fun following along with all the New Noology [ARG] stuff, I highly recommend AMC's recent Walking Dead episode (no login required). Things get really interesting around 45 minutes in."​
    (I didn't mean to embed the tweet, sometimes that just confuses things -- the "interesting" thing is the stealth launch of the new show, unrelated to TWD.)

oh, and i should add that i LOVED "Dispatches" as an entry into their (our?) world! Looking forward to the two-night broadcast premiere (this Sunday & Monday)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  2. Mar 1, 2020 #2 of 43
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Could you explain what the above means? ("their"/"our")

Are you saying that the Dispatches From Elsewhere world overlaps with the Walking Dead world?

foilingfool likes this.
  3. Mar 1, 2020 #3 of 43
    KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    sorry, i thought i was being clever. The premise of "Elsewhere" involves the question of whether what the characters are experiencing could also be real for us, in our reality. No connection to TWD intended. (I'll tweak my post to clarify)

4. Mar 1, 2020 #4 of 43
    scooterboy

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Thanks for clarifying.

5. Mar 2, 2020 #5 of 43
    KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    i hope everyone enjoyed last night's premiere of this quirky show. Remember tonight is the 2nd episode in its regular timeslot (which is a variable start time after "Better Call Saul" but 15 mins after the hour for tonight)

6. Mar 2, 2020 #6 of 43
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I'm not sure if I enjoyed it or not o_O. It was different, never got bored, just not sure what I watched.

But I'm coming back for E2!

Family and Rob Helmerichs like this.
  7. Mar 3, 2020 #7 of 43
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    That's me, not quite sure what I watched, but I like it. Definitely different, kind of fun. The younger female lead seems to be fun. I'm definitely back for E2. If felt a little like Lost and Dharma for those familiar with that.

8. Mar 3, 2020 #8 of 43
    scooterboy

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Haven't watched yet, but really looking forward to it. I hope my expectations aren't too high.

9. Mar 3, 2020 #9 of 43
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'm in,
    The first 2 episodes were very strong and I'm always in for quirky, in some ways it has a Season 1 of Dirk Gently kind of vibe.
    I'm also very impressed with how they're handling Simone so far as a character, they've let the audience know her story more so than the characters in the show and I'm pleased with the way the in show characters are relating to each other.

OP you may want to clarify spoilers or no in the thread title since this could be a bone of contention on what we can and can't discuss since it's not specified if it's a season thread or not.

10. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I watched E2 this morning and I'm SO in. I am really loving this show 2 episodes in (proof that you can create something these days and hook them after a couple of episodes instead of this annoying trend where you have to watch at least a season to fully understand anything and it takes 5 or 6 episodes to set up anything).

So, I looked up the French word Jejune because I felt that this really couldn't just be some random name, and sure enough jenune means boring, dull, uninteresting, lacking substance. Knowing this really brought some insight into what this show is about. So far we've been introduced to the backstory of Peter and Simone. We know both feel trapped by who they are. Peter is a bored, nervous, scared man who's work is mundane, Simone, is an introvert who's not comfortable around people, who tries to break out of it, but just can't bring herself to do it. Essentially they are part of the "Jenune Institute" i.e. they are boring, mundane, etc. The "game", the "dispatches from elsewhere" are what they want to be, but just can't be. They play the "game" as a vehicle to try and break from the mundane. We will find out more about the other two in the next two weeks and we will find out about "Clara" as well.

This show is so different and quirky. I'm in for the ride.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    If you haven't already, Google "jejune institute". The show is based on...well, you have to see it to believe it. (And there won't be any spoilers!)
    And of course she's transgender, which makes her inability to be comfortable in her own skin almost heartbreaking.

Steveknj likes this.
  12. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I noticed there's a documentary on it called "The Institute". It's streaming for free on Vudu, so i will have to check it out.

I wasn't sure about that, but yeah, it explains her anxiety at joining the LGBTQ parade and the scenes of her "transitioning".

13. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    I should have marked it as being about early access to the first episode (which is no longer valid anyway) -- I will need to ask a mod to revise the topic title, because I don't see a way for me to do so myself.

For now, I might suggest we create new threads for each episode. I consider all mentions of the 2008 San Francisco experience to be both semi-spoilery and off-topic with regards to the AMC show, and that goes double for the 2011 documentary because that will reveal the endgame and other behind-the-scenes details.

Thank you for taking this ride with me. I expect the first 4 eps to be setting up the main characters and the clues to the underlying reality. I'm being like Peter and keeping my speculation to myself, for now.

---(thank you to Dan203 for being so fast with the topic edit)---

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    dianebrat likes this.
  14. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    This may be a niche show that can't support individual threads, we'll have to see what happens :)

However thank you for PMing a mod for the title change, that is indeed the best way to get it done.

15. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I found E2 to be an exhilarating ride. Whereas the pilot left me interested but unsure, E2 hooked me. Part of the reason of course, is Eve Lindley as Simone. Knockout performance. Brings a freshness, an openness, a rawness to the screen I haven't seen in a while. Probably because the actor and the character are so intertwined. (I don't think it's a spoiler that both the actor and the character are trans.)

I'm okay with this being a season thread.

Jump in, the water's fine!

16. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I had no idea that Eve Lindley was trans. That gives me a new perspective as well on her performance. And I agree. The only other actress that I've had similar thoughts about recently has been Jodi Comer in Killing Eve.

After two episodes I am becoming obsessed with this. It's fun, different and I'm just going along for the ride.

astrohip likes this.
  17. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Seriously?!? Wow...

Not even after seeing her as a little boy in the flashback?

18. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    The character yes, the actress no

19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Ah! Misunderstood you.

20. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Watched the first 10 minutes of the documentary, and except for the city, it was identical to the beginning of the show.
    I”ll go back to the documentary when the show ends.